Photos of inserts for Aluminum ...

precisionworks

Flashaholic
One of my Grainger.com bargain holders is also an MDJN that holds the same DNGG, DNGP, DNMA, DNMG, DNMM, DNMP - 43x insert. Being somewhat cheap, I bought 10 Kenna inserts for $20 delivered on eBay - hard to go wrong for $2 each :D

I also saw a must have for you, Will. Kenna DCGT-432LF Grade KCD-25 ... which indicates PCD coated (versus yours which is PCD tipped). If your bank account can stand the hit, the cost is $9.99 :crackup:
http://cgi.ebay.com/KENNAMETAL-DIAM...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53d39498ca

Vic at Rani Tool is checking on their aluminum turning-boring insert for my other Grainger holder, a SDJC that takes uses the DCMT or DCGT - 32.5x insert. The 55° rhombic shape will work well for getting into tight corners, and the .008" radius will be a great finisher. EDIT: I purchased a package of DCGT - 32.50.5 aluminun specific (but also works as a Ti finisher) for $6.57 each.

http://www.ranitool.com/promo-AluPro.pdf

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
I am now a believer in how effective PCD can be on Al, even more so when they have a chipbreaker!

I just tried another cheap PCD insert to play with and this one does have a built-in chipbreaker. I just used it for the first time this weekend while machining one of my 1xD custom Al bodies, and it is performing much better than the Al-specific insert I was using, and creating awesome smaller chips, which make some operations (like on the tailcap which has less clearance due to being partially enclosed) much easier and "much" faster now:

DSCF1429.JPG

DSCF1430.JPG

DSCF1431.JPG

DSCF1432.JPG

DSCF1436.JPG

DSCF1437.JPG

DSCF1438.JPG

Here is the insert I was using before. It also cuts the Al well, but no mater what I try I always get longer stringy chips:
DSCF1383.JPG

DSCF1385.JPG

I have been also using a PCD insert for cleaning up the edge after cutting the bodies to length on the bandsaw, and I absolutely love this insert due to the awesome sharpness at the cutting edge. This insert cuts the Al easily and remains very sharp with no BUE.

Here is the pic of the insert (edge not cleaned yet):
DSCF1428.JPG

Here is a pic of the body after cleaning up with the PCD insert:
DSCF1367.JPG

This is all cut with the Accu-Lube lubricator and the lathe at my current max. spindle RPM of 1200. Once I do the VFD conversion I will be able to test/play at even higher cutting speeds, since when I was cutting inside the tailcap with the new insert, it felt that I could go much faster.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Even though you like the PCD inserts, you should try the AluPro inserts from Vic at Rani Tool. The DCGT-32.50.5-RAL is an awesome finisher, and the cost is just $6.57 each. I haven't yet tried them on Al, but they finish cut hardened steel like it was butter.

dcgt.jpg

wquiles

Flashaholic
Even though you like the PCD inserts, you should try the AluPro inserts from Vic at Rani Tool. The DCGT-32.50.5-RAL is an awesome finisher, and the cost is just $6.57 each. I haven't yet tried them on Al, but they finish cut hardened steel like it was butter.

dcgt.jpg

I already have AluPro inserts from Vic, and yes, they cut Al great!. I just could not resist experimenting a little with PCD inserts :D

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I just tried some aluminum specific inserts I got from Travers (on sale a $6 and change), and frankly, I was getting as good a finish from my my GP inserts (VC930) I was using

Also bought an Portamist after reading the reviews here - helps some, but I was shocked how MUCH air it uses

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I've not tried the Korloy inserts

I am a fan of Korloy but then again I don't know much & haven't had experience with alot more inserts as you guys. I honestly believe that many of the popular TMX inserts are the same as Korloy (like the pic I posted in this thread). The TMX inserts even say made in Korea & Korloy is a Korean company. Even most of the inserts offered at latheinserts.com which are TMX branded can be found in the Korloy catalog. I visited Korloy at Westec & there's many more that I'd like to try, but to be honest I mainly visited them because of the pretty Korean girl. ;)

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a fan of Korloy but then again I don't know much & haven't had experience with alot more inserts as you guys. I honestly believe that many of the popular TMX inserts are the same as Korloy (like the pic I posted in this thread). The TMX inserts even say made in Korea & Korloy is a Korean company. Even most of the inserts offered at latheinserts.com which are TMX branded can be found in the Korloy catalog. I visited Korloy at Westec & there's many more that I'd like to try, but to be honest I mainly visited them because of the pretty Korean girl. ;)

What?? No photos -- of the girl? :devil:

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Eastec/Westec have a no camera policy if I remember right

Bit more than a month till Eastec. Anyone going besides me? I pretty much have my choice of day, so if you want to meet up...

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
What?? No photos -- of the girl? :devil:

I know, I know, sorry but I was too distracted......by her. :naughty:

Eastec/Westec have a no camera policy if I remember right

Seriously? I had my camera & took pictures in plain view. I saw others taking pictures as well, none of the staff told me anything. :thinking:

Img_7272.jpg

Img_7279.jpg

Img_7280.jpg

Img_7281.jpg

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The last photo is really neat, as not a lot of shops cut Higbee threads (aka quick release threads or oilfield threads). Click on this link to see some at one of the shops where I do repair work:

http://www.rlcbit.com/machineshop.htm

I can only imagine how fast a NC machine kicks out this specialty thread, but a 48" swing Pacemaker does a decent job :thumbsup:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Higbee threads (aka quick release threads or oilfield threads).

What is that type of thread used for?

That last piece he was setting down just came of the machine. Was funny cause the HAAS operator was talking to another guy.....said that he originally had two more before the one that was just finished but some jerk must have stole one. Said he couldn't understand why someone would steal one or how the theif would walk out the convention with it. Well I see a total of three, one is stacked on top of the other. :crackup:

I've got some more pics if anyone is interested, not very good pics though & is why I never posted them in the Westec thread.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
There's a pretty sweet deal posted on the PM site - Curtis (from lathe inserts dot com) is selling the Ripper end mill + five inserts for $180 delivered. One is still left (I got the other :nana:)

Curt says he has one shop running this at 22000 rpm & a few hundred inches per minute feed ... should do fine in my small mill. NOTE - this is a 1" shank tool, so you'll need the ability to hold that in your mill.

rippermill1.jpg

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...sories-sale-wanted/sale-1-ripper-mill-204117/

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Just got this yesterday ...

rip1.jpg

The kit comes with a Wera T15 Torx driver & a small tube of antiseize (not pictured).

rip2.jpg

The inserts are nicely ground.

rip3.jpg

A locating recess on the back of the insert mates with a locating boss on the mill body to assure that the insert does not move under heavy milling pressures.

Nice tool :D

wquiles

Flashaholic
I just did a job for a customer on an Al tailcap, and I don't know what exact Al allow it was, but it cut beautifully with the PDC insert!

DSCF2079.JPG

DSCF2081.JPG

DSCF2083.JPG

DSCF2084.JPG

DSCF2085.JPG

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Just a note about the Ripper mill from LatheInserts.com ... it's a dead ringer for the more expensive Mitsubishi BXD4000.

This is a photo from the Mitsu website:
ripper1.jpg

And the Ripper mill photo from the LatheInserts.com website:

ripper2.jpg

The Mitsu gets rave reviews from machining websites, and the Ripper gets those same reviews from me :D FWIW, I paid $180 for the Ripper with five inserts, while the Mitsu sells for $391 without any inserts (both in the 1" diameter size, and both are available as face mills). Mitsu rates the tool for 38,000 rpm, not sure what Curt rates his.

Last edited: