Picked up what is an odd round body Surefire today.

P.08

Newly Enlightened
Hope I didn't buy a turd. It is odd in that it does not have the model number on the tail cap. Is this normal or is it a replacement tail cap?
McZ9UdS.jpg

2UWAbuz.jpg

allan d

Newly Enlightened
That is the early round body without the grooves each side of the knurling. The earliest tail caps had the smooth button and did not have model markings. I believe that you have a correct combination.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
PK said once that early on in Laser Products history they sold a light called "the SureFire 6". He said customers enquired not about a Laser Products flashlight but wanted to know if they had any of those "Sure·Fire" lights in stock so one afternoon they took a vote whether to keep the name Laser Products for the company or call it SureFire (one word). The rest is history.

He is credited for the swoop (sunshine) surrounding the logo on the re-kindled 6P with an antiroll head. He laughed and said folks scoffed and said "that stupid looking antiroll head will never catch on". Thing is flashlights aimed at duty lights had antiroll heads way back in the early days of flashlights. Some even had adjustable beams back then. But one day that fell out of fashion. PK simply brought it back.

There was a time when the 6P had been removed from the product line believe it or not. That and the 3P that never returned.

He said he could not recall what the P in 6P or P60/P61 etc stood for because those were named before he arrived but figured it stood for Police since at that time that was the target market for Laser Products flashlights back then.

E lights were built for detectives and upper brass to carry in a suit jacket pocket where the 6P was meant for a holster deploy. There were various changes to knurling and textures based off of feed back from police officers. It was a fine line between grip and quick deploy for the body but the textured tail cap boot was improved to ensure less slip upon contact with sweaty (or even bloody) fingers.

One thing is certain, between the Laser Products Sure·Fire 6 and (later) Streamlight Scorpion the duty carry flashlight was changed forever.

Last edited:

P.08

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Makes me feel better about the light. This one had a P60L bulb in it, but the guy brought me the original bulb.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wish my Laser Products Sure•Fire 6P was still in as good a shape! Quite the find! Pick up a couple of 16650 cells and throw a nice Malkoff or Lumens Factory module in it and you've got quite the nice flashlight.

Latest posts