Picking one light only

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one light that covers most bases for me is my Surefire E2D fitted with Malkoff MDC LMH head, Lumens Factory 2 way clip and a Keeppower 16650.

29839256168_39781bbf5f_c.jpg

jimmy22Aus

Newly Enlightened
I would still say the Tactician. Unless you want a far reaching beam or a AAA light.

Surefire Tactician is a good all rounder.

1 cell, EDCL1T 500lm 12.5k candela, 2 stage switch.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's strange, when I can have as many lights as I want, I spend lots of time looking for the "perfect light" to add to my collection. But if I could only have one light, I find myself just thinking what would be "good enough" for 99% of my expected needs.

"Good enough" means most or all of the following:
1. slim enough to fit comfortably in my front pocket
2. light enough that it doesn't pull down my pants when I'm not wearing a belt
3. at least 1 mode that is 10L or less
4. no memory or memory that can be bypassed
5. modes in ascending order (L->H, L->M->H, etc)

Lights that I have that would be "good enough":
Fenix e12
Malkoff MDC AA
4Sevens Quark AA (my first quality light...and still one of my favorites)
Thrunite Ti3 AAA

My ZebraLight SC52 turns on in my pocket, so it's disqualified even though I want to love it so bad...

Edit: it's a SC51, not a SC52. Sorry!

--flatline

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting thread here !

lovecpf

Been EDC-carrying my 47's Quark 2xAA
non-Tactical interface Titanium flashlight
since I received it nine years ago.
(in a Rip-Offs holster, on my belt)

Has served me well, and never failed.

That would be my choice !

:thumbsup:
_

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's strange, when I can have as many lights as I want, I spend lots of time looking for the "perfect light" to add to my collection. But if I could only have one light, I find myself just thinking what would be "good enough" for 99% of my expected needs.

"Good enough" means most or all of the following:
1. slim enough to fit comfortably in my front pocket
2. light enough that it doesn't pull down my pants when I'm not wearing a belt
3. at least 1 mode that is 10L or less
4. no memory or memory that can be bypassed
5. modes in ascending order (L->H, L->M->H, etc)

Lights that I have that would be "good enough":
Fenix e12
Malkoff MDC AA
4Sevens Quark AA (my first quality light...and still one of my favorites)
Thrunite Ti3 AAA

My ZebraLight SC52 turns on in my pocket, so it's disqualified even though I want to love it so bad...

--flatline

Is the SC52 clipped to the pocket or just in the pocket?
I have carried one since they were released and never had it turn on in pocket but I do clip it to the top of the pocket.
And EVERY other light I have tried pretty much has turned on somehow too?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the SC52 clipped to the pocket or just in the pocket?
I have carried one since they were released and never had it turn on in pocket but I do clip it to the top of the pocket.
And EVERY other light I have tried pretty much has turned on somehow too?

I tried it clipped to the top outside edge of my front pocket.
I tried it holstered in the 4Sevens Quark AA holster.

In both cases I had issues with accidental activation.

I find locking out the tailcap to be unacceptable, so the SC52 was removed from my EDC rotation. I now use it strictly as a jogging light.

--flatline

Interesting thread here !

lovecpf

Been EDC-carrying my 47's Quark 2xAA
non-Tactical interface Titanium flashlight
since I received it nine years ago.
(in a Rip-Offs holster, on my belt)

Has served me well, and never failed.

That would be my choice !

:thumbsup:
_

Nine years of service. Man! I would really appreciate seeing some pictures of it. :thumbsup:

~ Chance

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
If it were 1 light? Then some cheapo double A battery.

Like this, but not cheapo. My Fenix FD20 comes to mind as a good 2xAA bat flashlight for extremes, like if the word is ending. The availability of the AAs is greater importance than anything else in some volcanic or nuclear storm and solar recharging and power in general will be very limited.

But in all other cases I can't imagine being limited to 1 light. When I go cycling in the morning I take just the 1 light though, the Acebeam T21 vn so that I have a light that is much more intense than day light but not much reason to outside of a still-viable defense (as any light with less than 350k candela is not going to be enough to defend you in broad daylight).

But for work if I had to choose one it would be the ridiculously strong X80GT. Pretty fun and useful.

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]I would want something that is small enough to carry all the time, high cri, moonlight mode, and at least 100 lumens for general use/extended travels. But if it is for "bugging out" purposes that would depend on the crisis/context. I would want to haul my Manker MK35 around in a bag or on my person as long as I had a solar panel and a charger. Reason being, it is a thrower with a moonlight and a low mode so all the bases are covered. [/FONT]

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people just like to watch the world burn, and some people just love to ask CPFers to choose one single light... :laughing:

It is hard.

But if I were restricted to one light and one only in an end of the world situation, it would be a Malkoff MD3 with Hi/Lo bezel ring and dummy cells to be capable of running 3x, 2x or 1x CR123A and 2x or 1xAA, or li-ion. Probably an M61NLL if limited to only one dropin, or a range of neutral 3-, 6- and 9-volt Malkoff dropins if allowed.

Restricted to one light in day-to-day use? Then the HDS Rotary with 4000k Nichia and all three battery tubes (CR123A, 2xAA, 18650). If only one tube then 2xAA. :)

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking when I saw this thread, how can you ask a bunch of flashlight guys, "you can only pick one light?" Then I see a few answered, but, there is no way I can only pick one. Well, unless something catastrophic happened, and just so happened, there was a light close by, but still, even if my HDS Rotary was jerked out of it's holster. I'll still have two lights in my pocket! ... :shrug:

Anyways, just an observation! ... :laughing:

Pops

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Very tough call. I like moonlight, but like lumens if needed. Ilike a broad beam, but like 100 yard throw. I like neutral white, preferrably with high CR-I. All of that is moot if zombies are coming over the hill, at which point durability wins hands down. HDS Clicky 200lm hcri or my Malkoff "MD-1", body courtesy of Martin White. Mine sits ready with an M61 219b, high/low ring, and Oveready Triad tailcap for tailstanding. Either will run on anything that fits and should meet most of my needs. Zombies are the ONLY reason I can see where I'd only have/have access to only one light. :)

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very tough call. I like moonlight, but like lumens if needed. Ilike a broad beam, but like 100 yard throw. I like neutral white, preferrably with high CR-I. All of that is moot if zombies are coming over the hill, at which point durability wins hands down. HDS Clicky 200lm hcri or my Malkoff "MD-1", body courtesy of Martin White. Mine sits ready with an M61 219b, high/low ring, and Oveready Triad tailcap for tailstanding. Either will run on anything that fits and should meet most of my needs. Zombies are the ONLY reason I can see where I'd only have/have access to only one light. :)

Stinking Zombies !:shakehead:eek:

Last edited:

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
I'm going to have to say my Quark AA2 (non "tactical" switch).

It's got pretty much everything I want:
o A great close range full beam
o A brilliant and easily, directly and safely accessible moonlight mode that lasts for weeks
o Easy to find batteries
o Slim enough to EDC in trouser pockets
o Easy to access strobe
o Optional clip
o Excellent UI

I've had my original one for 8 years and it's been in my pocket for every one of those days and very rarely lets me down.

Agree! A Quark 2AA or something like that is pretty close to the Swiss Army Knife of flashlights. Small enough to put in a pocket, enough light for checking a suburban back yard, and the moonlight mode is an ideal "night light" if you're on one of those 15-cities-in-22-days tours. Runs a long time on a couple of Eneloops, and you can get replacement AAs just about anyplace that exchanges folding money for goods. My Quarks have travelled with me from Accra to Beijing, for work and for recreation. My oldest one turns 8 this year.

Bill

A

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think my Quark AA turns 10 this year. It's no longer my most used light, but it does still get plenty of use.

I love that it can use any AA-sized cell no matter the chemistry. I've currently got the Quark sitting next to the bed with a 14505 cell in it. The cell can't provide enough current for Medium or High modes, but late at night, Moonlight is usually as bright as I need. If I've done my math right, the handful of 14505 cells I have will last me until my youngest goes to highschool...

--flatline

LGT

Enlightened
I have come back to this thread several times(today alone) and read what others are putting. I honestly can not name one light, its impossible. Too many variables in them, some i prefer X others Y and the size of Z.
Same here. IMO each scenario calls for a completely different light and cell option.