Pila GL4

darmawaa

Newly Enlightened
If I use 2 x 600P rechargeable battery (8V) in GL4 550 lumens, does it make the color temperature warmer and efficiency lower (lumens/watt) compared to when I use 4 primaries because it's lamp design voltage 4 x CR123 (12V)?
Thanks

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have the GL4 with 500 lumen lamp.
It is a bit dimmer and yellower using the 600p cells.

Pop in 4 CR123's and be amazed.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I just recently bought my GL4 - 550 from JSB.

With all the recent talk of CR123's venting and flaming-out, I have been hesitant to run it on primaries. The pictures of the 2-cell light failures is plenty scary. Just imagine a 4-cell flame-out!

Do you guys have any worries or thoughts about running on primaries?

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
cd-card-biz,
...Until very recently the conventional wisdom was that primary 123 cells are safer than rechargeable Lithium ions. The recent mishaps with primary cells seem to have changed the thinking. However, I do not think we have enough information to accurately say which is safer. There are many many times more primary cells in use than rechareables and mishaps with them are actually not too common. I have had a thread running on the batteries and other electronics section for quite awhile asking for reports of mishaps with unprotected rechargeable lithium ion cells. So far no reports (except for some intentionally abusive testing) but I do not think that there is enough evidence to say for sure that rechargeables are safer. I do think we should be careful with all of these cells. They pack a lot of energy into a small package. I would base my decision on which cells to run in the new Pila GL4 550 light on economics rather than my perceived (sp?) idea about which is safer. Either way you go that light sucks a lot of electrons and should be used for short bursts so that it and the cells do not get too hot. Accidentally leave it on unattended with either type cell and things are probably gonna get hot to the point of damaging something.
Be careful out there,
jc

letschat7

Suspended
Update for people that may be still using a Plia GL4. You can as of Dec 2023 buy bulbs for this on Lumens Factory and batteries from Eden of the Netherlands or knivesandtools works fine as a close replacement. If you get a delren 3xCR123 tube from LF it nearly eliminates battery rattle when using CR123s.

It really is cool to run such a high quality historic flashlight well over a decade since it was discontinued.