Please help me decide between TM06 and TM26 for search and rescue

theTastyCat

Newly Enlightened
Hey all. Unfortunately it's a tragedy that's brought me here. A friend of mine went missing last week and two days later, after a large search effort, was found dead. I realized all too late that I didn't have the equipment I needed when I needed it. I picked up a Brinkmann QBeam from Walmart, and for $20 and instant availability I at least got something to work with. But, it's time to get a real light. It's not the first time I've been out searching ditches at night, but it will be the last that I don't have the light I need.

I've done a lot of reading and it seems like either the TM06 or TM26 would do nicely. I was leaning toward the TM06 since here in middle Tennessee there is not a massive amount of open area like there would be in Texas or the West. I thought perhaps the floodiness of the TM06 would suit me just fine. But, who knows when some extra throw would be handy. One poster who reported owning both really got my attention when he said the TM26 was "considerably brighter." I want to buy once and cry once; I would be deeply grateful for your input.

Many thanks, all.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look into the TM16 instead. At 4000 lumens it has the power to reach out when needed, yet can step down to High at 1800 lumens for a general search type light. It has a nice spill so it should be close to equaling the others in that way. Even though it is very new, there have been some nice sales popping up - I got mine for $125 USD. I also bought the Nitecore IMR cells, since 4k lumens has a bigger current draw, and IMR cells are said to hold their voltage better in that condition. There is a review thread in the LED Forum right now that has some nice beam shots so you can see what it is capable of. Let us know whatever you decide, and how well it works out. One of the frustrating things about offering advice here is we usually never find out how well the final decision worked.

BTW, Welcome to CPF!

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't have an aversion to purchasing a custom light, I'd recommend the Vinh modified TK75vnKT light. The KT stands for killer throw.

It's got more output than the TM16 or 26, better throw, and the ability to use battery extension tubes to extend runtime.

The TM16 is going to be the cheapest, $199 retail the TK75vnKT at $275 or so and the TM26 the most expensive @ $390 retail.

Both Nitecore lights can be found cheaper than retail, but you get the idea.

I've got the TM06, 15, 26 and 36 lights as well as the TK75vnKT light.

theTastyCat

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys - I actually just finished ordering a TM16. But I've heard about the TK75 as well as Vinh's work; since this is my first big-deal light, I went with the 16 but will keep my eyes open on these in the future.

Many thanks for the help!

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
Hi TastyCat I'd be very interested in hearing how the TM16 works out for you and maybe I'll get one. I've been a park ranger in charge of search and rescue for more than 20 years, and honestly it seem like there has never been a case in which I found someone using a "search and rescue" type handheld search light. If a helicopter is equipped with a FLIR they can see people quite easily, along with other IR-emitting objects. In fact one pilot of a blackhawk doing SAR for the national guard in New Hampshire suggested that a hiker just hold up the screen of their phone, and it will be visible for miles in the IR. I could imagine using it to help others find me; if I were lost i would aim a bright light at an emergency vehicle on a road below me, if I had a view that would allow it, assuming that they will notice me, and assuming that they were looking for me and not just on the scene of a traffic stop. I usually shout and use a whistle, and have found a number of people that way, especially using a loud whistle. Sometimes we'll ask a LE officer to turn on the "penetrator" on their vehicle- another way to draw people out using sound. But shining a light on the forested landscape, although I've tried it a lot, seems to yield no results. Perhaps if someone had something reflective, like a mirror, it could be used that way.

Our last search a few weeks ago I brought a TK35 and the subject, stuck in a crevice, was able to see the light hitting the trees, and he shouted and we shouted back and eventually reached him and extricated him on a litter. Also during that SAR mission I had the GPS coordinates (since I was first on scene) to give to other rangers and conservation officers who were going to have to walk through very difficult and dicy terrain. They had the coordinates, but it was much easier for them to see the strobe lighting up the trees above me and walk through the woods aiming for the trees, than it was for them to walk on dangerous terrain, constantly looking down at their GPS units.

I've also used higher power lights to illuminate the way ahead of the litter crew, to spot roots and rocks that would trip people up, or to do routefinding when blazes were not clear. So they have a place, just not in the exact job of finding someone lost, in my opinion. I'm guessing I've been on or led more than 100 SAR missions and only used the high power lights that we all love on CPF a few times. But then again the terrain in New Hampshire is very different from that of Arizona and other people where hikers and hunters are injured or lost.