Pocket Knife Suggestions

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for a lock blade knife of an appropriate size for every day carry in my pants pocket. I don't need a big name brand. What is an appropriate size for pocket carry and what are some specific make and model suggestions?

Skimo

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a lock blade knife of an appropriate size for every day carry in my pants pocket. I don't need a big name brand. What is an appropriate size for pocket carry and what are some specific make and model suggestions?

What's legal length in your area, what do you plan on using it for, do you know how to sharpen?

For most people a simple Kershaw will be more than enough.

Some companies will sharpen for a nominal fee.

If you're looking for a traditional design there are several companies that produce good quality knives as well.

dss_777

Enlightened
Totally depends on your purpose/use. I happily used a basic Swiss army knife for many years, until I replaced it with a small Sebenza. I love it. My use is all sorts of cutting around the house, at work, out and about... everything from envelopes to wiring work, taking things apart, even small construction or gardening tasks. Having it on you, easily available results in finding an increasing number of uses for it.

Beware: like many boys' toys, knives can become a fetish. I'd suggest starting with a basic Spyderco or similar, like one of the Kershaws as above. Actually anything that is easy to open one-handed, is decently sharp, and small enough to always have with you. A pocket clip is nice, but not necessary if the knife is small enough. It can sit in your pocket with little bother. Your needs will become apparent after you've used it for a while.

Skimo

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, Kershaw, Spyderco or Benchmade are all safe bets. Don't know if I can recommend sites or not, so until I find out, the best advice I can give is don't pay MSRP.

Flavor

Newly Enlightened
If you dont mind spending the extra cash i would go with the benchmade barrage. If not go with spyderco. I had both and theyre awesome!!!

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's legal length in your area, what do you plan on using it for, do you know how to sharpen?

For most people a simple Kershaw will be more than enough.

Some companies will sharpen for a nominal fee.

If you're looking for a traditional design there are several companies that produce good quality knives as well.

I can't find a restriction on legal length in my area. The city ordinances do not mention it. The state statute is MS 609.66 https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.66 that restricts automatic knives, but I am a law enforcement officer, so I suspect I am covered by that. However, I really am not looking for a particularly long knife or automatic opening. I do want a lock blade, though.

As far as sharpening, I can sharpen it or a retired LEO from my agency likes to do that sort of thing, so I could h ave him do it. I will look at Kershaw, Spyderco or Benchmade and I will try to avoid paying the manufacturers suggested retail price, then. Does that pretty much mean avoid buying locally at a Mills Fleet Farm, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Target, or Wal Mart then?

What is longest one that most people can typically carry in a pocket without being uncomfortable? I really don't want something that is super bulky and will wear a hole in my pocket or pants. I just want a folding lock blade. I assume that I want something with less than a 4 inch blade. Are there certain online places that carry Kershaw, Spyderco or Benchmade at a reasonable price?

8steve88

Newly Enlightened
I have, without realizing it, started collecting Chinese knives. They offer outstanding value for money and are very well made, Enlan/Bee, SanRenMu, Ganzo and Navy are the top makers who often O.E.M. for big named knifemakers.
The waiting time while they are shipped is the biggest drawback but there are U.S.A. based sellers on ebay and Amazon.
If you want a quick delivery and aren't bothered about a slight increase in cost then the Chinese made Spyderco budget range - (smallest first) - Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious and Resilience are a good starting point, plenty of U.S.A. based sellers.
I live in the U.K. but have heard that Blade HQ are reliable and sell a wide range of makers, check out YouTube and see if any of the thousands of knives reviewed take your fancy.
Good hunting. :)

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
David Boye literally wrote the book on custom knife making. Spyderco calls the indent on their lock back knives the Boye indent giving him credit for this innovation. He now makes just 2 models - a fixed blade and a folder - using a cobalt based metal that is nonmagnetic and corrosion proof (not stainless, but stain proof). The blades are cast rather than forged to take advantage of the molecular structure of the metal - think micro serrations. Great knives at a reasonable cost from a legend.

Skimo

Newly Enlightened
Being a knife nut, I generally avoid some knives, for me the difference of having to sharpen after a day of use or two weeks of use is fairly significant. Beyond that, Benchmade, Spyderco and Kershaw have sterling reputations for customer services. Recently Cold Steel seems to have improved their customer service/warranty.

I ask about the local ordinances because here in Boston anything over 2.5" may leave you with a $350 fine, not that it's strictly enforced, but I'd hate to give advice that would leave anyone open to fines/penalties.

I buy heavily biased towards warranty and customer service/support and good quality steel because it's a knife, it should be sharp and stay sharp for as long as possible, on the off chance that there's a defect, it'll get fixed.

Knife size varies by hand size, pocket size/pant style, intended use, from slim Opinels to folding prybars, junk "440" steel to the latest and greatest steels capable of extreme edge retention, excellent toughness and exotic materials.

If you have a buddy that is a sharpening enthusiast, take advantage and see if he recommends similar knives.

My personal recommendation is the Benchmade Griptillian or mini Griptillian depending on what you're comfortable with, for Spyderco, Manix 2, Manix XL, Delica, Endura. Kershaw, while not really my cup of tea has some good models, some with better than average steel, Zero Tolerance is their over built line of knives.

Prices for Benchmade go from ~$60 to $1,000+
Spyderco has the Byrd line for entry level knives, their models go from ~$35 to well into the hundreds.
Kershaw goes from ~$15 to well into the hundreds as well.

There are mid tech knives, customs, limited editions from the most basic utilitarian designs to specialty 100% custom knives that easily run over $10,000.

If you aren't a knife nut, then having a knife capable of holding an edge probably won't be a priority, you probably will be more interested in a knife you can easily afford to use, lose and abuse. So depending on your budget, visit your local sporting shops, take a peek, handle as many as you can.

I think price point is going to be a deciding factor as well as intended use, but if you know your own sharpening guy, I'll let him talk your ear off about angles, grits and steels.

havequick

Newly Enlightened

I love my Kershaw Chive. It is the perfect size for clipping in a front pocket and stays out of the way until you need it. And the spring assist means when you need it, it is out quickly.

guyg

Newly Enlightened
A 3" blade is a good size. That said a good quality blade in 2.5 " will do most of what is needed in a day. A SAK is always a good thing to have while u are looking for the perfect fit. Buck, Spyderco, Benchmade, are good places to start.

Scarfinger

Newly Enlightened
a spyderco delica flat grind. I carry one every day

I also have an endure but it is to big for work. Blade has to be under 3 inches. A lot of the knife laws are vague. I guy can use a machete to cut weeds down and that is ok. It is defined as a tool. But carry a knife over 3 inches to the movie theater and its a different story.

dss_777

Enlightened
I can't find a restriction on legal length in my area. The city ordinances do not mention it. The state statute is MS 609.66 https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.66 that restricts automatic knives, but I am a law enforcement officer, so I suspect I am covered by that. However, I really am not looking for a particularly long knife or automatic opening. I do want a lock blade, though.

As far as sharpening, I can sharpen it or a retired LEO from my agency likes to do that sort of thing, so I could h ave him do it. I will look at Kershaw, Spyderco or Benchmade and I will try to avoid paying the manufacturers suggested retail price, then. Does that pretty much mean avoid buying locally at a Mills Fleet Farm, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Target, or Wal Mart then?

What is longest one that most people can typically carry in a pocket without being uncomfortable? I really don't want something that is super bulky and will wear a hole in my pocket or pants. I just want a folding lock blade. I assume that I want something with less than a 4 inch blade. Are there certain online places that carry Kershaw, Spyderco or Benchmade at a reasonable price?

You should clarify your use. General utility (envelopes, open packaging, cut up boxes for the trash, etc.), vs. work (weapon retention, layer of defense, prying doors/windows, etc).

Utility knives can be almost any general size/shape, work knives are bigger and more purpose built. Plus, uniform carry is another issue.

FWIW, if it's for work, I'd be asking your colleagues. They're likely to have the most relevant input on that...