Portable Hard Drives

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My son would like a portable hard drive for his birthday. Any particular recommendations? I'm looking to spend around $100. 250 Gb is plenty. Thanks.

Geoff

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've had good luck with Western Digital. They've been making hard drives longer than anyone else.

On the other side of the coin, I bought a Maxtor once and it laster for two months. :shakehead

Make sure it's at least 7200rpm in case it's going to be used for video.

Helstar

Newly Enlightened
I personally like Western Digital and Seagate. There is one that is by office max that has a really cheap sounding name. But, all of the test reviews shows it to ba very good drive and it is very cheap. I can not think of the name right now.
For a portable drive I would probally just go Western Digital.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The think I saw the one you're talking about, Helstar, in Office Max today. It's a Simpletech. My son and I both had a laugh about the name. They do seem to have decent ratings. I'll probably end up with the Western Digital or a Toshiba. For the money ($99) the Toshiba has 320 GB vs. 250 GB for a WD. I think it will cost more to get something with 7200 RPM.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'm still accepting opinions, as I probably won't be buying until Fri. or Sat.

Geoff

Boricle

Newly Enlightened
Is it for backup - ie, more GB is better - or is it for portability (small form factor / durability is important)?

Can it be mains powered (power brick - not too portable, bad for laptops) or bus powered (no power brick - sometimes need two usb cables on low power computers)?

Both my wife and I use the Lacie Ruggard External USB Drives (2 of them - one 320GB USB/FW, one 250GB USB) - they're quiet, bus powered, nicely portable - well suited to handling transport abuse (shock mounted plus external rubber coat).

I don't know how old your son is, however if the drive is going to get used for portability to take to friends houses - then durability is something to think of.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822154244

You could also just get a smaller drive casing, and an external protective case (some of them, like the Fujitsu's come with one)

Good Luck!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks, again, for the suggestions. I settled on the WD Passport 250 Gb model. The local Target had them reduced today to $79, which worked out great since my wife and I had each received $35 Target gift cards. My son's a freshman at NC State this year, so I suppose it might see some school use. I'm sure it will mostly be used for play. Thankfully, he's pretty careful with his stuff.

Geoff

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a WD 160GB drive I got last Spring. Works great, but I have to use it in the rear USB ports or it may act flaky. Something to do with front USB ports not giving enough power.