xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
74538d854d3145939326c696685b82c3.jpg

Not a Peli, but a B&W Outdoor case.

Best of both worlds?

kj2

Flashaholic
Best of both worlds?
It cheaper than a Pelican case. This size (type 1000) is comparable with the Peli 1200 case.
Only it costs 50% less than what I would pay for a Peli 1200 case, here. I do have a Peli 1200 and the quality is better, but that's something you notice in price ;)
And since I only use these cases to store my lights, I don't really need a Peli.

AirmanV

Newly Enlightened
Hah yeah my wallet has been taking some serious hits due to my recent SF purchases. Love the lights and I'm glad I discovered this thread, never thought of using a pelican case to store and transport my lights!

pipes

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a couple 1020 micro cases for my batteries. Nice little cases.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Warning, not Pelican but hopefully still appreciated:

Well this thread sure did inspire me this weekend. I got tired of having a couple of drawers with flashlights and chargers and cells loosely rolling around so I went today and bought one of the aluminum cases from Harbor Freight for $20 (with 20% off coupon) and spent an hour or so organizing most of my stuff. I still have some odds and ends (cheap and/or tiny lights, NiMh chargers, crappy Li-Ion chargers, and a spotlight or two that are too big for the box), but here is my setup:

This case is obviously much cheaper than a Pelican case and I could certainly see moving to a Pelican in the future for REAL protection and water-proofness but for now this meets my need excellently for having the bulk of my stuff in one place and whenever I take an overnight road trip I can just slap the case in my car as opposed to loosely throwing some stuff in with my duffle bag.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Last edited:

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlight Hard Carry Case: Pelican Alternatives?

I got one of the Harbor Freight ones today. It came with a full foam insert with little 1cmx1cm removable squares so I customized it for what I wanted. It also came with 4 dividers which I used on the left side of the case for some bulkier items. Here's my setup:

Warning, not Pelican but hopefully still appreciated:

I got tired of having a couple of drawers with flashlights and chargers and cells loosely rolling around so I got the case and spent about an hour organizing everything. I still have some odds and ends (cheap and/or tiny lights, NiMh chargers, crappy Li-Ion chargers, and a spotlight or two that are too big for the box) but this is the bulk of my stuff and will accompany me on overnight road trips as opposed to throwing some stuff loose into my duffel like I used to.

The HF case is a terrific bargain in my opinion, a fantastic starter case at the very least.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pelican 1060 holds 34x 18650s. You know, just in case you need to take 34x 18650s with you.

QQoQ9VVl.jpg

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pelican 1060 holds 34x 18650s. You know, just in case you need to take 34x 18650s with you.

QQoQ9VVl.jpg
I can't imagine NOT taking 34x18650s everywhere I go!

All joking aside, I only even own 18 18650s, only 14 of which are quality cells and only 12 of those do I REALLY like haha. Maybe I need to up my battery game but it's enough to have the cells I really like in all of lights so maybe I need to up my flashlight game first, I have my eye on a TK75vn Killer Throw, although I really can't afford it right now...

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
ThirstyTurtle, that's a really cool setup! If I set up a case for my lights and batteries it will probably be from Harbor Freight as well. For now I just keep them all in my backpack and on my belt though which suits me fine. I'm really enjoying the way everyone stores their lights though!

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is where I keep mine:

20141004_103840_zps3d7zrdhw.jpg

Its a Plano Protector Series, got it at Walmart for $11. Comes with 2 layers of foam and one of the layers is "pick and pluck".

Last edited by a moderator:

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is where I keep mine:

20141004_103840_zps3d7zrdhw.jpg

Its a Plano Protector Series, got it at Walmart for $11. Comes with 2 layers of foam and one of the layers is "pick and pluck".
Nice find! The walls look like awfully then plastic...is it flimsy? What section of the store was the case?

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the back with the hunting stuff is. Yes the walls are thin, but for the money you can't go wrong. I have 3 of them, keep Rc stuff in the others.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious - has anyone found a good foam rubber that does not turn to mush after a few years? I have a few power tools that I store in a steel case with a foam rubber lining. The foam has broken down and crumbles to the touch. I have some closed cell foam ( like they use in camera bags ) that seems to hold up. Also, some of bumpy foam seems to hold up.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try foambymail. They sell any size you want.

Thanks for the info.

I was more interested in type as opposed to a supplier. They list a neoprene based product, I wonder how long that will last. I have received a few items that were packed with a 'stiffer or harder' foam. That does not seem to be the same stuff as used in pillows or bedding. I am pretty sure there are different compounds used to make foam.

Latest posts