Potential Battery Capacities > Dream battery size

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
So I was thinking about my dream sized flashlight which would center around my dream size battery. I wear XXL gloves, prefer my lights to have decent throw, don't like to waste space and like to have as much lumens, lux and capacity as possible.

I made this chart which includes the various battery sizes with the volumes (+ my imaginary dream size battery) along with the capacity of the best 18650 batteries and a chart showing the potential capacity of other size batteries if they were as efficient as a 3,500 mA 18650 battery for their volume.

Battery Volumes.png

I found it interesting that the 21700 and 46950 is pretty on par with the mAs per cubic cm as the best 18650 but 26650's are way down on that.

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-07 at 18.25.47 (1).jpeg

In the picture above I show 2 highly cutom Vinh lights - a Eagletac G25C2vn with SBT90.2 LED as well as a T8vn+ and knife for size comparison.

I carry that Eagletac in my sap pocket all the time - with the 40mm head facing down, and the way I figure it, if there was a magic 301050 battery I could have light that really didn't take up much more space, had 5x the watt hours so could be used as a power bank, 10 hours run time at 1000 lumens versus 2 and actually felt better in my hand with the one down size of being heavier.

Dream size Light.png

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I don't know if there was any point to my thread above other than perhaps:
  1. Curious if anyone else fantasizes about their perfect battery format and light size,
  2. Hoping someone will but in and say, "Hey! Didn't you know a light very similar to that already exists?"
    (While searching for where to post this thread, I did realize for the first time a 26800 exists which is the closest to my perfection. However, I could only find them with a capacity of 6,000 mA as oppossed to the 9,000 mA they WOULD BE if they were as efficient the 18650, 21700 and 46950 formats.)
  3. Perhaps my reasons for the perfect size light and battery will make sense to some, build a growing interest to the point someone will build it and I can buy some!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
When talking about the pros and cons of different size flashlights, many flashaholics cite the adage "just get both." However, as one who is on the road and traveling more than 200 days a year (and who likes to travel as light as possible) there are definitely advantages to having a high quality, dependable "swiss army knife/unicorn light."

Personaly, I use the term "XL EDC" for that category of flashlight that isn't too bulky, and I don't need a holster to carry. (I do have my pants custom tailored to have a knife pocket on the right hip and flashlight on the left and find I can carry +/- 40mm head size lights daily and rarely notice them.)

While small size flashlights have some advantages, large size flashlights have THEIR OWN advantages. They're easier to find in the dark (which is often when I'm "looking for" a flashlight), can be used as a self defense weapon when the situation doesn't call for escalating to a knife or gun, harder to lose etc.