Power Outage Study Lantern

mikep

Enlightened
My brother is a student, and is subject to frequent power outages. Last one he used his Attitude (gift from me!) to read for several hours, but I think there are better options. I am thinking some sort of flourescent. It needs to have good output of light for reading and long runtime, and does not need to be very portable. I think Coleman makes some 6 and maybe 8 'D' cell lanterns, can anyone offer me their experience?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is for studying when the power is out, an LED headlamp actually may be better. The way the light would be on whatever he is looking at. A good lantern for frequent power outages, would be the Guide Gear LED 4D lantern exclusively from Sportsman's Guide:

www.sportsmansguide.com

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Mikep, I have had a few power outages before and was stuck with doing homework. Anyway, my family has a Coleman Remote lantern and I have used it as table lamp during a power outage. It is bright enough to light up a small room during a power outage. The lantern uses a U shaped flourescent lamp and runs on 8 D batteries. The lantern is also great when you are camping and you can turn it on from up to 50 feet with a controller that is about the size of a car alarm remote.

The Coleman Lantern is listed here:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5358H705&categoryid=1050&submittingpage=subcategory.asp

JollyRoger

Enlightened
I would suggest an Eternalight!
Excellent runtimes, variable brightness, and I'm sure that you could fashion some sort of "lamp shade" or holder with a little effort....

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest an led headlamp and a flourescent lantern. I believe Everready makes both and they can be found in the flashlight section of WalMart.

B@rt

Flashaholic
I like the lantern Charles mentioned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fc0b96c5.jpg
fc0b96c4.jpg

Guide Gear® 20 LED Lantern

I doubt you can beat a 500 hr runtime... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

mikep

Enlightened
I picked up one of those 4AA coleman compact flourescent lights as a reading light, and he got a 4D lantern as an area light for the rest of the apartment.

I do like the idea of the 20 LED lantern, I wonder if the light distribution is fairly even.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the interest in my suggestion. Doesn't happen that often. As a power outage lantern it looks very hard to beat. It would probably have been better, if it had a white translucent tube around the LEDs, instead of the clear one.

I don't have one, yet. A digital camera (with flash) took priority for June, 2003, or I would have ordered it. Maybe July.

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mikep said:
My brother is a student, and is subject to frequent power outages. Last one he used his Attitude (gift from me!) to read for several hours, but I think there are better options. I am thinking some sort of flourescent. It needs to have good output of light for reading and long runtime, and does not need to be very portable. I think Coleman makes some 6 and maybe 8 'D' cell lanterns, can anyone offer me their experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since he 1) needs a light 2) has frequent power outages and 3) portability is not a big issue, have you considered on of the new electronic generators with built in lights? Take a look at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006XMTJ/qid=1054483901/sr=1-14/ref=sr_1_14/103-2689627-6587820?v=glance&s=hi

This is the one I got. Has 2 4-watt fluorescent tubes on the end which it will run for 25 hours. It is very bright, but directional. Would work well for studying. As a bonus you get both a 12volt and 110volt power outlet. This model has a built in air compressor, but there is a version without the compressor (although it may not be cheaper because of the Amazon deal). I actually have used mine to drive a 23 watt compact flourescent bulb (110 volt), which gives the light output of a 100 watt incandescent. It will do this for 7 hours (instead of the 25 hours for the built in light). Now that is bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

mikep

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
andybingley said:
Why not try one of my favorites

http://www.bairstowbrothers.co.uk/vapalux/

don't tie yourself down to battery power!

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about fire-based- lighting, but he's got two kids running around, and it's on a tropical island, so the heat produced would probably be unwelcome.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
andybingley said:
Why not try one of my favorites

http://www.bairstowbrothers.co.uk/vapalux/

don't tie yourself down to battery power!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I kinda of get nervous when it comes to running kerosene or other fuel burning lamps inside the house during a power outage but I have done it before at my uncle's during a thunder storm that knocked out power to his neighborhood. We used a few propane Coleman lanterns and some candles to get around the house. Anyway, my main concern is having an "accident" with these lamps and burning the house down but another thing is the smoke or carbon monoxide building up and causing us to suffocate. But we did do it and the outage lasted only for an hour which was long enough for us to enjoy a candle and lantern light dinner and play cards after. His living room and dining room are big so we had enough air for the lamps.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
If you're studying, I recommend the use of a torch with a Nite-Ise Head band. This allows the torch to be used conventionally (handheld) or as a head torch. Another useful accessory if you can get hold of one is a retort stand, of the type used in chemical labs. The round clamps fit round most torches and turn your torch into a positionable directional light source. (not suitable for heavy torches like a 5D Mag, but fine with any torch up to a 2D.)

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
EMPOWERTORCH said:
If you're studying, I recommend the use of a torch with a Nite-Ise Head band. This allows the torch to be used conventionally (handheld) or as a head torch. Another useful accessory if you can get hold of one is a retort stand, of the type used in chemical labs. The round clamps fit round most torches and turn your torch into a positionable directional light source. (not suitable for heavy torches like a 5D Mag, but fine with any torch up to a 2D.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You are thinking about this right?
I have one somewhere and have tried to read with it. The light just comes from the side instead of the front but a small adjustment will get the light where you need it. It was made for mini-mags but you can fit almost any AA size flashlight into the elastic flashlight holder.

headmain.jpg

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frequent power outages? Hmmmm..... How frequent and what is the usual cause?? Is this a Dorm, where the students have overloaded the circuits with their computers and stereos??? Or, is this a result of a junky power company??

Having read Mikep's more recent post, I would say the problem is likely outside (think about all those air conditioners).

I would wonder if he would have enough time between outages to recharge any rechargable system.

I still favor the LED lantern for general lighting, and an LED headlamp for more directed lighting (studying, cooking, etc.).

Tropical island = prone to Tropical Storms and hurricanes/typhoons = long duration power outages.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Exactly, yuandrew!
You are limited as to what torch you can put in there, but there are 100's of torches this size, with single, multi and Luxeon LED's!

Charles, Power Outages may be caused by a variety of factors including storms on overhead power lines, overloads or abnormal loading (welding equipment is a major cause in some areas due to the very high current spikes generated and the back e-m-fs causing flashover!
Here the main cause of power outages tends to be errant workmen who have managed to puncture underground cables with a JCB or pneumatic drill.
We had one incident which blew all the filament bulbs and fried all the fluorescent lights in our area caused by someone connecting a 440V 3-phase to the 240V mains!

But... I digress. Back to power outage lighting...

Is there any way one could make a Luxeon torch work as an area light by shuning it vertically into some kind of diffuser?

steve_vance

Enlightened
guess what I just found....take a look at this

fbec3346.jpg

MODEL NO. CK-120
DESCRIPTION - LED Lantern
FEATURES - 12 Ultra Bright LEDs
- Can be Adjusted Brightness
- Extremely Long Lasting
- Water Resistant
BULB TYPE - 12*5mm White LEDs (Japan-Made)
BATTERY TYPE - 4*1.5V "D"- Size Batteries (not included)
PRODUCT SIZE - 150*240mm

you can find it on Nuwai Intl Taiwan

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
mikep said: ...used his Attitude (gift from me!) to read for several hours

Actually, I really like my PT Attitude for reading. If you lay on your back, it is fairly easy to lay it on your neck and shoulder to point it about wherever you need to. The beam is just the right width for reading.

Also, I really like the Energizer 2 LED folding camp lantern ($9 @ Walmart) for this as well. It has a tiltable head that you can lay it on your chest and then angle the smooth, diffuse beam however you wish for reading. 100 hours or so with both LEDs lit. If you want to sit up at a table, just put the lantern body (quite small) on anything taller than your book and angle the head down for comfortable reading. Work's great!

After two years of reading this forum...2 of my least expensive lights have turned out to be 2 of my favorites!