Powerful budget flashlight nowadays (with zoom)

Colorblend

Newly Enlightened
A few years ago I played around with the budget lights, I had just discovered sites like dealextreme and bought a whole bunch of models, I even modified a couple by replacing the existing diode with XML T-6s, did that to my favorite one which was pretty small and slender and with a nice zoom head that slid easily, it then gave a very sharp light but it was not very useful at anything but close range still because I guess the reflector was simply too small. The name eludes me but it was something like "Tank". Since they were cheap lights they broke down one by one and sometimes they could have an extra lease of life with some extra solder but eventually I chucked them all away (wanted new things to play with).

I don't know what's around nowadays, so was looking for tips. My last zoom light was rather small, maybe 2 cm in diameter. I am looking for something slightly larger but still convenient to carry in a jacket pocket. Zoom helps me in my work since I can illuminate the nozzles on snow cannons in bad weather from a distance to check their function, I powerful focused dot of light is good but I also want to illuminate landscape. Sturdiness is always good but I expect to lose or break them in work anyway so 2-3 for the same price is better. Also, I have plenty of 18650 batteries so 18650 drive is good.

delus

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what this forum's rules are for linking to THAT forum, but I had this tab open when I saw your question. You already said the words "Budget Light" http://budgetlightforum.com/node/56186
There seems to be a lot more discussion about zoomies over there.

The Haikelight HT08 with twisting zoom and fresnel lens is tickling my itch right now.

Agpp

Enlightened
The Haikelight HT08 with twisting zoom and fresnel lens is tickling my itch right now.

Mine too. I bought one a week ago and it stays as back order.... I wonder how long will I wait until they are really available.

vidramon

Newly Enlightened
Re: Powerful budget flashlight nowadays with zoom

I do not own that Haikelight HT08, but I'm 100% sure that Brinyte b158/b158b will out throw HT08 and will win it in every way.
Dimensions of HT08 are 115x45x24 and b158b is 147x54x30 which can stay in the pocket, it comes with XM-L2 U4 and XPL-HI V3 which is better.