Predator / Predator Pro. Tactical lights.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam intensity falls short of initial projection.
That of the Viking is pretty darn close.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
I agree with scs. Am disappointed and did not expect the specs to differ quite so much but am keen to purchase an Armytek just to compare them with the other brands.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, the projected intensity for the Predator was 51,000 lux and that for the Viking was 40,000 lux.
Mode spacings on the Predator is good, though one has to dish out more dough for the full FULL regulation.

west aussie

Newly Enlightened
I have purchased a V3 predator from ebay since Armytek haven't had them in stock on their website. Their website did have details on the V3 predator which stated the beam throw was 450m. This was on both the Armytek website and also their Ebay dealer.

Now I have seen Armytek have the V3 predator in stock and the details have changed....it now throws 381m instead of 450 as previously shown on their website and is still shown on their Ebay dealer.

Anyone able to confirm ? I have a v2 predator and love it and only purchased the V3 as Armytek claimed it throws further...but now that has changed.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
I have purchased a V3 predator from ebay since Armytek haven't had them in stock on their website. Their website did have details on the V3 predator which stated the beam throw was 450m. This was on both the Armytek website and also their Ebay dealer.

Now I have seen Armytek have the V3 predator in stock and the details have changed....it now throws 381m instead of 450 as previously shown on their website and is still shown on their Ebay dealer.

Anyone able to confirm ? I have a v2 predator and love it and only purchased the V3 as Armytek claimed it throws further...but now that has changed.

The official manual for the v3 Armytek Predator states that the throw is now 381m instead of 450m, as previously claimed, so I would take that as the confirmation that it is indeed 381m, unless Armytek updates its stats again. I have ordered the Armytek Predator v3 as well, based on their previous claim of 450m throw, so I get where you are coming from. Am very disappointed but since this is my first Armytek, I am willing to let it go just to see how the light compares to other brands.

ArmyTek

Enlightened

The official manual for the v3 Armytek Predator states that the throw is now 381m instead of 450m, as previously claimed, so I would take that as the confirmation that it is indeed 381m, unless Armytek updates its stats again. I have ordered the Armytek Predator v3 as well, based on their previous claim of 450m throw, so I get where you are coming from. Am very disappointed but since this is my first Armytek, I am willing to let it go just to see how the light compares to other brands.

Yes, we have corrected information in manuals. We replaced exact measurements instead preliminary ones.

west aussie

Newly Enlightened
I have both the 2.5 and 3 in cool white non pro versions. Will be happy to post some beam shots but I don't have a decent camera to use...would iPhone pics or cannon point and shoot do the job?

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Thanks
I have both the 2.5 and 3 in cool white non pro versions. Will be happy to post some beam shots but I don't have a decent camera to use...would iPhone pics or cannon point and shoot do the job?

Absolutely. How about a quick written review. Your initial take on the new version compared with the older 2.5. Quailty comparison, 1st impressions etc.? Waiting for some reviews/conclusions before I buy. So far I think my Viking pro 2.5 (warm) is the best. Thank you

sp5it

Enlightened
Sure it will be enough to compare them both. I would like to see side by side pics. Thanks, Mike

mellowhead

Enlightened

Interesting vids; even if I couldn't understand a word. It looked in the first video like the spring in the tailcap was bent significantly sideways. I'll bet that the negative contact plate was being forced sideways when it was rattled, and making contact with the inner wall of the light. That would explain the bypass of the switch that was demonstrated.

west aussie

Newly Enlightened
Here are some quick photos of the 2.5 and 3 side by side. Will have some beam shots up in a few hours when it gets dark.
FullSizeRender_zps7za9h07z.jpg

FullSizeRender1_zpsktktd7iy.jpg

FullSizeRender2_zpsi1j8wm4g.jpg

One thing I wasn't really sure about was the gap on the V3 where the cigar grip or pocket clip goes. On the 2.5, Armytek provided some more rubber rings to fill the gap if you don't want the cigar grip or pocket clip fitted. I like to use them without either of these attachments but the V3 has nothing to fill the gap. See below

FullSizeRender3_zps20gwznql.jpg

west aussie

Newly Enlightened
Here are some beam shots. Sorry for the poor quality, they are taken with my iphone. Will get some outside shortly.
These were taken approx 4 meters from a white wall in my lounge room. The photos don't really do the light justice but I think you get the idea.

This is the 2.5
v%202%205_zpses8lwt58.jpg

and this is the V3
V3_zps1mfzymmg.jpg

Below is both side by side. The V3 is on the left and 2.5 on the right

side%20by%20side_zpsmvguygya.jpg

The V3 has a smaller tighter looking hot spot. Not sure if you can really tell from the photos but the V3 also produces a weird spill. I think its from the shape of the inside of the bezel as shown below. The 2.5 doesn't have these indentations.

v3%20bezel_zpsbw4plhkk.jpg

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Here are some beam shots. Sorry for the poor quality, they are taken with my iphone. Will get some outside shortly.
These were taken approx 4 meters from a white wall in my lounge room. The photos don't really do the light justice but I think you get the idea.

Geat stuff! you shouldn't apologize for your pictures. You tried your best with what you have and you did a great job. Your pictures are just as good as many of the reviews online. Almost everyone, even with a better camera, takes pictures with the camera white balance (or automatic gain control for videos) on; so they may look pretty but are not at all representative of what is really there. Your photos at 4 meters (a more realistic distance than point blank at a wall) clearly show a difference.Here we can actually see and compare the sharpness of the hot spot and can actually see the corona.
Thank you for your effort. Which do you prefer? Once again, we appreciate your post.
This is the 2.5
v%202%205_zpses8lwt58.jpg

and this is the V3
V3_zps1mfzymmg.jpg

Below is both side by side. The V3 is on the left and 2.5 on the right

side%20by%20side_zpsmvguygya.jpg

The V3 has a smaller tighter looking hot spot. Not sure if you can really tell from the photos but the V3 also produces a weird spill. I think its from the shape of the inside of the bezel as shown below. The 2.5 doesn't have these indentations.

v3%20bezel_zpsbw4plhkk.jpg

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Thanks west aussie. Bloody good job in comparing the lights. Am surprised to see the Predator v3 having such a small spill as well as a smaller hotspot compared to v2.5. I like how the v3 looks though, although the gap does seem to spoil the aesthetic look of the light.

west aussie

Newly Enlightened
To be honest I really like both lights. They feel nice to hold in your hand due to the anodising. I have been using the 2.5 at work as a Police Officer in Australia and it does a great job at lighting up objects at a distance. the 2.5 does a great job at blinding people during a scuffle also.

i think the v3 might be a tad brighter so I'm going to carry that one and see how it goes. I think it's shape will fit into my pouch easier also. Currently, the 2.5 needs some twisting to fit into the pouch on my belt due to the shape of the head. I am using a non armytek pouch though. Both lights fit into the armytek pouches with ease...I've just got an old flashlight pouch already set up so I've stuck with that.

I don't like the gap on the v3 where the cigar grip or pocket clip fits. There should be some extra rubber rings to fill this spot like there are with the 2.5. Maybe something to think about armytek? The spill also looks different. The 2.5 has a solid line around the spill and the v3 spill kinda looks...I dunno... Broken up? Not really the right word but the inside of the v3 bezel has the indentations that break up the spill...did that makes sense? It's not really a problem though, I'm just pointing out differences.

All in all, love both lights and I can vouch for the 2.5 being a great choice to be used in law enforcement. Easily out throws everyone else's lights in my office and is smaller than most.

Ps, the photos were taken with fresh efest 3100 imr batteries.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couldn't understand a word of what they are saying in the videos but still interesting nonetheless. Thanks for sharing them. The second video is really impressive and shows how tough Armytek lights can be.

No problem. That was a tough test for the light. The head clearly got squashed, though the light kept shining. I do wonder if the v2.5 head is structurally stronger than the v3 head.