Predator / Predator Pro. Tactical lights.

ArmyTek

Enlightened
Re: Predator holster. Any field reports?

I am in the process of evaluating my Predator warm for possible inclusion within my preps and field kit. One thing I noticed was the holster is pals webbing compatible but is more flexible and has some Velcro over the snap. Not like my other webbing connectors. Has there been any reports of these thing coming off the pals? Is bezel down or up best? I might just put a paracord loop through the D ring and webbing just in case. Sometimes things get sporty when bushwhacking. So far I am happy with light but only put it up against normal trail work.

Hello!

Thank you for your post and nice photos from the wood! :)

We didn`t receive any reports containing complaints about flashlights falling from the pals. Don`t worry! The holster is rather reliable. It is better to carry the flashlight with bezel down. It will be more convinient for you to get it out from the holster.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Hello!

Thank you for your post and nice photos from the wood! :)

We didn`t receive any reports containing complaints about flashlights falling from the pals. Don`t worry! The holster is rather reliable. It is better to carry the flashlight with bezel down. It will be more convinient for you to get it out from the holster.

Thanks for responding. Ok bezel down it will stay. Nice tint on this specimen but more importantly man can it throw a beam of light.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

Woods Walker,

Why did you choose the Predator over the Viking. On paper, they are very close in throw (11 m difference), especially now that the Viking's beam is narrower? Please feel free to reply in the Predator thread. Thanks.

Woods Walker

From the Holster thread.

Woods Walker,

Why did you choose the Predator over the Viking. On paper, they are very close in throw (11 m difference), especially now that the Viking's beam is narrower? Please feel free to reply in the Predator thread. Thanks.

I actually have a Viking Pro 2.5 in the mail so will soon have both of the earlier models to compare. I will probably continue to use the Predator on my belt though. To be honest given the realities of the New England woods the greater throw of the Predator within the V 2.5 will probably not matter in real world use. Basically I believe the less complex something is the less likely it will be a source of problems. This has nothing to do with Armytek just a standard belief system. The regular predator was less expensive as well. Even when I ran down a 18650 to 25% the step regulation still appeared plenty bright to my eyes and probably offers longer overall run times which is important. Plus it will give me good warning as the battery runs down.

The v3s are a no go as unless I really NEED something I don't buy electronics or many other things for that matter which have been recently released.

Woods Walker

Woods Walker,

Responded over on the Predator thread.

Woods Walker

Speaking of versions I know the Viking Pro can be set to run unprotected (aka "naked" LOL) 18650 when set for 18650 as the cut off voltage is higher. Is this ability retained in the v3 as there is no programming. Also can the standard versions in both 2 and 3 of the Predator and Viking run naked without overly running down the cells as they too don't have programming.

west aussie

Newly Enlightened
Armytek,

Do you have any suggestions to the rubber o-ring gap that I pointed out on page 2?
It is not a problem at all but I would be even more impressed if I could fill the gap that looks like it should have a few more o-rings in it. Any suggestions? (other than to put the sigar grip back on)

Thanks!

ArmyTek

Enlightened
Armytek,

Do you have any suggestions to the rubber o-ring gap that I pointed out on page 2?
It is not a problem at all but I would be even more impressed if I could fill the gap that looks like it should have a few more o-rings in it. Any suggestions? (other than to put the sigar grip back on)

Thanks!

Hi! Thank you for your posts and photos. :)

We left this gap just to make it easier for people to regulate a grip. :) So I guess we can`t suggest you other options.

Erayd

Newly Enlightened
As part of the '2%' to whom programmability is important, I would like to take a moment to register my disappointment that this feature has been removed from the new lights, particularly as the R&D for this is already a sunk cost. I have bought several lights from Armytek in the past, solely because they had this feature.

As Armytek already has a fully programmable driver, I don't understand why they can't simply offer an extra version of the predator / viking which uses this driver. The additional cost to Armytek is negligible, and it keeps the very vocal 2% who promote your lights to others happy.

My preferred setup is:
* Mode memory disabled on both lines.
* Full / flat regulation
* Head loose: lowest firefly -> lowest non-firefly -> evil attention-getting strobe
* Head tight: 70% -> 100% -> 50% -> 20%

Unless it comes with the above configuration (which seems unlikely), I will never buy another Armytek light.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked the programming feature. Once I programmed my 2 predators to my settings that was it.
I can remember some people posting they didn't like the fact it was programable. They felt they had to program the light and it was too confusing. They couldn't just leave the light as it was programmed out of the box.
I hope to see programming come back and could be done through a usb connection from a computer.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
I don't know if I can say that I'll *never* buy another Armytek light, but I count myself as part of the 2% as well. I'm very sad to see it go.
Who are these 2%? I purchased four over a period of time and was never asked. I am not complaining, since I understand that insane lumen claims sell more flashlights than any other single feature in todays market. Unfortunately, Armytek needs to survive in this "Tactical, billion-lumen, crenelated life-defending killer bezel, and you can also be Johny Rambo" flashlight market. They make awesome lights, but for me, the Viking Pro 2.5 Warm was their pinnacle achievement. Bullet proof, fairly compact and doesn't attract attention at border checks or airport security. I used the programmable feature to set up some low level modes to be used for camping, and have never needed the max levels to light up a remote dark campsite or an evening trail while hiking (but still there if I need it). If fact, bright light only causes problems by immediately ruining your night vision. Also, I wonder if it has occured to some that when you are lighting up your immediate world with 1000 lumens, anyone out there can see your light at least 2.5 to 3 times further out than you are able to see your own reflected light. The real benefit of walking a trail with a light on max is letting the whole world know you are coming, well in advance of your arrival.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who are these 2%?

There will be no programmable modes in Predator Pro v.3. We understand that it was one of the most specific Predator features for flashlights' enthusiasts that's why we had this message in our last promotion. But during all the years that have passed after the first Predator appeared we've collected our customers' feedback and it showed that only about 2% of owners use the programming to set their own modes...Furthermore the presence of Menu caused difficulties in operation for many users. So after dicsussion we've decided to simplify Predator's operation to make it more "marketable".

If fact, bright light only causes problems by immediately ruining your night vision. Also, I wonder if it has occured to some that when you are lighting up your immediate world with 1000 lumens, anyone out there can see your light at least 2.5 to 3 times further out than you are able to see your own reflected light. The real benefit of walking a trail with a light on max is letting the whole world know you are coming, well in advance of your arrival.

Yes, people can see you coming a long way off. But that is hardy the only benefit. I do night hikes from time to time, and I typically bring two big lights. I use them at low or middle settings, but added together, the output is definitely in the hundreds of lumens. Could I get by with less...sure. But Hiking at 3-4 mph over rocky/hilly/tree root ridden trails is a LOT easier with plenty of light. I trip over obstacles much less often when using higher settings.

You also should not assume that other people use lights in the same way that you do. Most of my usage is during the day, indoors, with plenty of ambient lighting. I use a light to dispel shadows, and see into dark corners, not to light my way. Moonlight and low modes are literally useless for that purpose, so probably ninety percent of my usage is at medium or high modes (depending on beam profile) with a 1x18650 light. I point this out not because my usage is typical, either. But everyone should understand that other people will not have the same needs...wanting high brightness is perfectly reasonable for many people. The desire for high output does not make one naive, as many CPF members would suggest.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question about Red Led Predator, V 2.5 or 3.0

How do the modes operate. I see the low is 5 lumens and the high is 210 lumens.
Does the light always come on in High or Low ?
I saw this :" Auto-memorization of the last used mode: " and a red X after it. I'm guessing there is no mode memory.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

ArmyTek

Enlightened
Question about Red Led Predator, V 2.5 or 3.0

How do the modes operate. I see the low is 5 lumens and the high is 210 lumens.
Does the light always come on in High or Low ?
I saw this :" Auto-memorization of the last used mode: " and a red X after it. I'm guessing there is no mode memory.

Thanks for any help.

About Red:
Information on the website is not full, we don`t have new measurements, so flashlights are not for sale at the moment. And information is not actualized.
In fact color flashlights will have the same number of modes and UI as simple versions.
Auto-memorization of the last used mode will be too. Thank you for your attention - we will correct that shortage on the website.

Last edited:

Elton

Newly Enlightened
I've got a predator x v2.0 seems broken cleaned the contacts was sent a replacement tail cap but I have no line 2 just two brightness levels nothing changes with the head loosened