Preon P1 MKIII

elzilcho

Enlightened
Actually there is memory :)

Was that in the specs or description? The only mention of memory I recall was "no memory" regarding the burst function. Can the mode memory be disabled?

This is also on the product page: Memory Function = revert to mode 1

Hopefully that's what you meant by it having memory?

Last edited:

archer6817j

Enlightened
The Preon uses a "hybrid" memory where it does remember the last setting, but a mode change reverts back to mode 1. Basically you don't have to scroll through the whole UI to start at the beginning.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered one and some extra batteries. I hope the battery hype is real.

One thing i didn't notice on the website is place of manufacture. Do anybody know where these are actually being made?

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Just ordered one and some extra batteries. I hope the battery hype is real.

One thing i didn't notice on the website is place of manufacture. Do anybody know where these are actually being made?
I think the Four sevens were made in China.

elzilcho

Enlightened
The Preon uses a "hybrid" memory where it does remember the last setting, but a mode change reverts back to mode 1. Basically you don't have to scroll through the whole UI to start at the beginning.

I'm not sure I understand this. Let's say I'm on vacation and have the light set to config 4 (low-med-high + burst). I need medium to see my way up the stairs to the condo. Then I put the light on the nightstand and go to bed. If I need to use the toilet a couple hours later, the light will then come on in medium? Or will it revert to mode 1, which would be low?

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens lights were manufactured in China. I was hoping since these were prototypes, we would be fortunate enough to have these made by Jason or his staff.

Newguy2012

Enlightened
I'm not sure I understand this. Let's say I'm on vacation and have the light set to config 4 (low-med-high + burst). I need medium to see my way up the stairs to the condo. Then I put the light on the nightstand and go to bed. If I need to use the toilet a couple hours later, the light will then come on in medium? Or will it revert to mode 1, which would be low?
I think it would be MED.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the hybrid works this way. If you just cycle through the light without keeping it on a specific output for a set amount of time, the light will reset to that start of the cycle. However, if you cycle through and use an output (example: high) for longer than a predetermine time, the light will start up next time on high in this example.

Last edited:

elzilcho

Enlightened
If the answer is medium, that certainly isn't what I would expect when I hear "memory function = revert to mode 1." Unless, of course, mode 1 is medium, but in my example using config 4, mode 1 is low.

I'll wait for a definitive answer. I'd hate to regret a purchase before the product has even arrived.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
In your example, I think it would be Medium. If you want to get it to start on low, the light may have to be cycled quicky so the light would reset to mode 1.

archer6817j

Enlightened
If the answer is medium, that certainly isn't what I would expect when I hear "memory function = revert to mode 1." Unless, of course, mode 1 is medium, but in my example using config 4, mode 1 is low.

I'll wait for a definitive answer. I'd hate to regret a purchase before the product has even arrived.

The answer is medium. Thanks for the feedback on the wording. I'll update the site with a better explanation. Traditionally there are "no memory" and "memory" lights. The Hybrid memory is a newer thing but I figured just saying hybrid would be confusing. The intent is that you get both of the advantages of memory and no memory.

I always palm a light when I'm turning it on in the dark to avoid getting blinded. If it comes on low you are good to go. If it's on...say medium...cycling the button once will get you back to mode 1, rather than scrolling through high.

Newguy2012

Enlightened

It remembers your last used output and reset to mode 1 on next mode change. So for your example it will turn to Med and the next mode change would low instead of high. That the way I understand it.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It remembers your last used output and reset to mode 1 on next mode change. So for your example it will turn to Med and the next mode change would low instead of high. That the way I understand it.

My understanding as well. I don't like it because I can still blind myself if I forgot to end it on low.

elzilcho

Enlightened
The answer is medium. Thanks for the feedback on the wording. I'll update the site with a better explanation. Traditionally there are "no memory" and "memory" lights. The Hybrid memory is a newer thing but I figured just saying hybrid would be confusing. The intent is that you get both of the advantages of memory and no memory.

I always palm a light when I'm turning it on in the dark to avoid getting blinded. If it comes on low you are good to go. If it's on...say medium...cycling the button once will get you back to mode 1, rather than scrolling through high.

Thanks for the clarification. Others may have interpreted the description differently, I understood it to mean that it always reverted to mode 1. At least I know now, and can just sell it NIB without needing to open it. The light has a lot of other nice features, hope it's a hit for you.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you aim it at the ceiling at night, the whole room would light up.