Production UV LED lite fluoresce $100 bill strip?

Xsavior

Newly Enlightened
Re: Production UV LED lite fluoresce $100 bill str

Benjamin Franklin!!1 Does that mean I win a bill???? Or how about one of your cool Crime Scene Flashlights???

xenopus

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Xsavior said:
Benjamin Franklin!!1 Does that mean I win a bill???? Or how about one of your cool Crime Scene Flashlights???

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll check your answer after I see one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That was impressively fast! So who's on the $50?
Piers

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Easy one!... Ulysses S. Grant.

EDIT: No Google search, I swear!

Xsavior

Newly Enlightened

That will teach me for looking at a nother forum inbetween, he beat me to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but maybe we should both get a nice reward /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
Re: $100 -- the \"money shot\"

Here's the money shot, I went to the bank today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MoneyUV_365.JPG

Yup, the $100 is red -- I didnt' know that! Composite image of 5 identical exposures, NO LEVELS ADJUSTED in photoshop. Canon 10D, Y2 filter, just about as the human eye sees it.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

That works better than my UV miniHID (Or you use a better camera) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One day you will receive an order from me for one of those.

Jeff

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the shot xenopus. Where in Texas are you? I saw on your site that all lights are assembled there.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

pitbull, to get more UV from your HID, cut off the outer glass tube of the HID bulb. There should be an inner bulb too. The outer one is there to block UV if I remember reading right. Look into that, perhaps it's worth risking breaking a bulb???

xeno: nice!!!

LED-FX

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
pitbull, to get more UV from your HID, cut off the outer glass tube of the HID bulb. There should be an inner bulb too. The outer one is there to block UV if I remember reading right. Look into that, perhaps it's worth risking breaking a bulb???

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a good idea, quartz glass outer envelope on M.H. is pretty much U.V. transparent.

Woods Glass or U.V. pass dichro is going to be more effective.

Wouldn`t put it in a M.H. but mebbe one of those "million candlepower lights" tungsten halogen still has some U.V in it because of quartz glass , less than Metal Halide discharge source though which is mercury based.

Sliced tube from dead Black Light Blue fluro tube,care required, mercury , phosphors, sharp thin glass. They have Woods Glass coated tube:

http://msp.rmit.edu.au/Article_04/06.html

Adam

xenopus

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lunal_Tic said:
Thanks for the shot xenopus. Where in Texas are you? I saw on your site that all lights are assembled there.

[/ QUOTE ]
We're in Austin, TX -- where there is excellent mountain biking, except that my shock died and my bike is in pieces waiting for parts!
Piers

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

xenopus,

I used to dive Travis every once in a while and climb over at Enchanted Rock. Hill country is really pretty.

Back on topic, all of the lights I see on your site are not exactly pocket friendly. Are the UV LEDs just too much draw for AAs?

Thanks,
-LT

xenopus

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lunal_Tic said:
xenopus,

I used to dive Travis every once in a while and climb over at Enchanted Rock. Hill country is really pretty.

Back on topic, all of the lights I see on your site are not exactly pocket friendly. Are the UV LEDs just too much draw for AAs?

Thanks,
-LT

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we're filling in what we saw as a gap in available products. There are many small flashlights, and we're not trying to compete with them -- so we're offering products for customers that need more power. Even out 32-LED UV products can excite fluorescence at 100 feet as you might have seen from the side-by-side comparison with our new flashlight using 3 of the Cree UV chips (which is brighter at 100 feet of course!).

The regulated modules pull about an Amp on average, and alkaline cells derate so badly that running them in a D cell flashlight was required (for 3 cells at least). Our non-regulated modules pull that large a current when the cells are new also. The larger flashlights also have room for our circuitry, which fits on two PCBs in the regulated and state-transitioning designs. The same module designs fit in C-cell and D-cell bodies, so this is another convienience -- and we offer some 3C cell lights also.

In addition, they can be used to whack scorpions on the head with low risk to the user /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

zenopus -

Very nice money shot.

For the Crees, have you considered 20mm reflectors? It looks like the optics are attenuating (Newbie's word reference) the beam?

Good luck with your biz. I like your lights.

------------

- Jeff

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used my 7 UVED flashlight on a $100 bill and it fluoresced the stripe pretty easily, but it didn't appear red; more like a neutral glow.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

It may have just illuminated the fact that it was there but if it glowed red, then you have the proper wavelength and you know its real.

Jeff

MaNCuBuS

Newly Enlightened

This is 10 years later, but the only UV light that I found that can fluoresce the $100 is the Nitecore CU-6 UV. I think it is a true 365 nm wavelength as it is not as purple as my other UV lights and fluoresces items like scorpions, credit card and drivers license items much brighter than the purple UV lights, which are 395nm or higher; closer to visible spectrum, hence more purple.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

any of the UV offerings from Nitecore will light up a 100 dollar bill like nobodies business. You will see every single UV reflective aspect of the bill. The amount of UV reflective only anti counterfeit features in a new 100 bill even 20's is mind numbing.