Project Excalibur - Next Generation LED Thrower (many pics)

moozooh

Enlightened
Laser light!

What would you estimate the max throw at if using a lens with this LED instead of the reflector? (Not that it'd be practical... then again, this isn't, either.)

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Laser light!

What would you estimate the max throw at if using a lens with this LED instead of the reflector? (Not that it'd be practical... then again, this isn't, either.)

That's easy. You would gain some throw because the Rhodium coating of this reflector doesn't reflect as much light as other coatings (only 75%). A standard glass aspheric lens (assuming perfect precision, a DX lens wont cut it!) transmits 92% of visible light. With a lens with the same diameter as the reflector you would thus gain 17% Candela. If you use an ar-coated aspheric you will get an additonal 4-8%, so 25% gain would be possible.

To be even more precise you also need to account for the unused part of the reflector in the middle. Aspheric lenses don't have this, their entire surface is used. In this case it's a circle with a diameter of 40mm, so 1257mm^2, which is an additional 13%.

So in total 41% more Candela would be possible under perfect conditions. This would increase the actual throw distance by 19%.

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
After being broken for the last half year, the light has now been fixed. The insulation of the cables running through the copper cylinder to the LED had been damaged by sharp edges which led to a short circuit. This killed the LED.

Michael (RC-Lights) used a steel rope coated in chalk and tooth paste to smoothen the edges of the holes after re-drilling them at an angle by pulling it through them a few hundred times. The new cables were also put into shrink tube to make the insulation more robust. This should be enough to never have this problem again.

full

I sent him three more Black Flat LEDs which he tested and compared with one of the older ones. One of them was better than all of the other LEDs (so it's the best of nine!). He also switched out the sense resistor to reduce the current from 5A to 4.5A. This mostly keeps the LED from going blue.

After refocusing the light now does 1.7Mcd measured at 14m! :cool:

In addition to this Michael did the following things:

1. Replaced the second electronic switch with a different type. Now both of them are used for the ramping, one for ramping up and one for ramping down
  2. Following the recommendation of the manufacturer, a 4.7uF capacitor was connected in parallel to the leads going from the battery to the driver to prevent voltage spikes
  3. Additional cables were soldered to the Stripe dimmer module to make connecting it to the USB programmer easier
  4. A new firmware was flashed onto the dimmer which raises the PWM frequency from 2kHz to 14kHz to prevent the high-pitched buzz coming from it when the light was dimmed
  5. Repaired the cracked, plastic bezel with epoxy
  6. Replaced the UCLp lens with a new one which no longer has a hole in the middle and doesn't have any cracks
The dimmer connected to the USB programmer:
full

After this the light was finally finished. It was time to use it.

Here are some beamshots comparing the light to Michael's Superthrower, which has an Olight SR-90 reflector (88mm) and a Cree XP-L HI. It does around 650kcd. The performance of Michael's light is very similar to the Thrunite TN42 (best stock LED reflector thrower).

full

First a shorter distance, maybe around 100m:
full

Next, the main target was an unlit cell phone mast at a distance of 1.2km (0.75mi).

Wide:
full

full

full

Tele:

full

full

full

At last a pic with 30s exposure just for fun:
full

Surely more pictures will follow. :)

Last edited:

MRsDNF

Newly Enlightened
Love the build and love the light. The night shots look absolutely amazing. I'm sitting here with a stupid grin on my face. :grin2:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I know that feeling! I post so many beamshots because I enjoy looking at them myself. For beamshots it's actually a big advantage that the spill is rather dark. You can do long exposures without the foreground becoming too bright.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally have the light back in my hands. Before sending it back Michael also took some "artsy" beamshots. The light is great for long exposure times because of the rather dark spill.

full

full

full

full

Nobody up there has answered yet...:candle:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's time for more pictures. The plug in the lens is finally gone!

full

full

full

closer:
full

even closer...
full

full

Here you can see two fine details - the Osram Black Flat is a very thin LED, the Die is lower than that of Cree LEDs. Because of this Michael used especially flat screws and copper sheet metal (insulated with shrink tube) instead of round wires to block the smallest amount of light possible.

What follows is something that I really wanted to do with this light even though it's quite difficult: a picture where the yellow reflection of the LED die fills up the entire reflector (from this point on the real lumunious intensity can be measured because the beam has assumed its final form).

The camera was over 10m (32ft) away.
full

With 150mm tele
full

The money shot:
full

Here the light was dimmed to 1% and the Camera was at its absolute darkest settings (during the day!):
full

This is what it looks like to be lit up from this distance during the day at max brightness (not very nice):
full

Keitho

Enlightened
What follows is something that I really wanted to do with this light even though it's quite difficult: a picture where the yellow reflection of the LED die fills up the entire reflector (from this point on the real lumunious intensity can be measured because the beam has assumed its final form).

The camera was over 10m (32ft) away.
full

With 150mm tele
full

The money shot:
full

You've got some great pictures in this thread, but these are the best. Excellent light design/building skills on display due to great planning and photographic skills. Bravo, The_Driver, we are truly not worthy.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Keitho! :cool:

Still missing were the dimensions and the wheight:

• Length: 32.4cm (12.8in)
  • Diameter of head: 14.5cm (5.7in)
  • Diameter of tailcap: 4.9cm (1.8in)
  • Wheight with batteries: 1.445kg (3.2lbs)

Wheight of some of the parts:

• Head: ~600g (1.3lbs)
  • Body: ~541g (1.2lbs)
  • Tailcap: 103g (3.6oz)
  • Battery holder: 56.7g (2oz)
  • Batteries: 144.1g (5.1oz)

The BLF GT is around 60% heavier, mainly because of its five additional batteries and the material around them.

PolarLi

Enlightened
Here the light was dimmed to 1% and the Camera was at its absolute darkest settings (during the day!):
full

Nice shot! I wonder if am able to make the same shot with one of my SA lights using a telescope at 50-100 meters, using the solar filter and DSLR adapter.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.
I think it's possible. Ra managed to do it with his Maxablaster. I think he used a welding filter.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time for more beamshots. I'm getting gloser to my goal of 2.6km (1.62mi) beamshots.
To make these shots seem more realistic they need be viewed in fullscreen mode on a large monitor in a dark room. This way much more detail can be seen.

544m(1785ft):
full

Tele:
full

498m(1634ft):
full

full

Cell-phone beamshot very close to the light (makes the beam look wide):
full

1700-1800m (1.06-1.12mi):
full

full

full

full

Tele (overexposed by a lot):
full

full

A darker target next to the building (1500m - 0.93mi) (with my own eyes I couldn't see this being lit up):
full

full

2100m (1.31mi) (the mast, the lit up castle is around 4.8km away)
full

full

full

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some new 50m (164ft) beamshots, comparing the light with the my modded Brinyte (330kcd). Unfortunately there are overexposed by too much. The hotspot of the Excalibur is blown out.
full

full

full

full

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It continues.
full

During a very clear night.
full

full

full

full

The camera was around 10-15m away from the light. I used the longest possible exposure.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since many of you probbaly don't know the the driver that was used here, I have some more pictures.

From left to right: classic 105C, Ampere! driver, Stripe v4 dimmer module, USB programmer for the dimmer module
full

full

The inductor is rather large:
full

full

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally it's done!
Beamshots in 3.4km (2.1mi) distance!
The conditions were very good which allowed me to make the beamshots I have been wanting for quite a while (ANSI distance of the light or further). They were taken with an Olympus E-520 using the following settings:

• Aperture F/8
  • Shutterspeed: 30s
  • ISO 1600
I purposefully overexposed them to allow for viewing under daylight conditions (in reality the sky was dark). The target is the water tower to the left and behind the building (which itself was 1.4km away) in a distance of 3.4km.

14mm:
full

full

42mm:
full

full

cropped:
full

full

Gif:
full

Some more fuzzy smartphone pics:
full

full

full

Last edited:

Ajohn

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Did anyone have the specs of this led Osram Black Flat Gen2 LUW HWQP ?

Regards
John