PSA: Benchmades' are sharp. ( Hospital trip )....

cutlerylover

Banned
ouch, well happens to the best of us...and I know I don't have to say this...but DONT PRY with a knife...knives are cutting tools...

on a side note, Im glad to hear your ok...check out the mini widgy thread in thsi section, seems like that would work better for you next time! Plus only $5!

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that looks like it hurt a lot! I'm glad to see your "friend" is okay now and recovering!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Any photos up close and personal before the trip to the hospital?

A friend of mine showed me pictures of his left severed index finger that he took using his cellular/mobile phone! Don't know how he remained that calm to do so be he managed.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Entertaining narration for sure!! Glad you're (I mean your friend!) "on the mend"!!

That knife certainly has a history now, as well as character! I'll keep my eye out for it (hopefully not literally - don't need pics of such an incident!!) on eBay. :D

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your "friend's" wife is all wrong! This could have been avoided by having MORE tools, like pliers or a prybar, so your "friend" wouldn't be using a pretty Benchmade for prying.

Ouch. Which hurt more: the thumb or the hospital bill?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I know one idiot who stabbed himself in the thumb with an M-Tech stilleto while trying to cut off a thick plastic lanyard.

What a dumb-***! :whistle:

wmirag

Enlightened
Since we're sharing stories in this thread, let me share an almost-story that aged me ten years in 1 second.

Like many of you, I pride myself on having and maintaining good tools, kitchen knives included. In fact there was a time I used to finish hone my kitchen knives on a buffing wheel charged with jeweler's rouge. My trick for guests was to throw a lemon into the air and cut it in half in mid-flight with my heavy duty ten-inch chef's knife. This thing would slice through the lemon like a laser, even the pits, and not make even a drop of juice.

So one day I'm alone in my kitchen cooking for the wife and family and using that same knife like any normal person would. I turn around to the stove and when I turn back, I see that my toddler had come in, picked up this viscious weapon *by the blade*, and was "helping me" by handing it to me!

Somehow, by the grace of God, I managed to calmly get it away from her before she sliced her hand to ribbons or dropped it and cut her foot clean off. Just telling the story now, 9 years later, makes me feel sick.

Back to the the thread topic - knives are sharp!

W.

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Just telling the story now, 9 years later, makes me feel sick.

Just reading your story was scary! Seriously glad to hear it didn't have a bad ending.

I think a lot of us "regular folk" aren't used to knives being that sharp. We've all poked or sliced something with a dulled blade that barely drew blood (if at all). This is a good lesson and a reminder to all of us.

I also think complacence is the most dangerous part of using any tool. I never hear of someone slicing off something with a brand new power tool - it's always the guy that's been working with it for years, who's real comfortable with it, that has the accident. You should see how careful I am around my table saw, unlike our Jr High School shop teacher who sliced off his fingers during class. I never forgot that lesson!

KDOG3 - Thanks for the PSA. I hope your recovery is speedy and full.

Mad1

Enlightened
I think a lot of us "regular folk" aren't used to knives being that sharp. We've all poked or sliced something with a dulled blade that barely drew blood (if at all).

The thing is it's best to cut yourself with a sharp knife than a dull knife.
Better chance of it healing and a cleaner cut.

Then again a knife shouldnt be used as a pry bar.

I think this is a good excuse to buy some of Peter Atwoods tools. :laughing:

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
Reminds me of when I was taking off the cap of a bottle of pepsi with a knife I was thinking be careful just before the knife slipped and went accross the knuckle of my left pointer finger it hurt like h311 and bled even worse , oh how I wish I could still get pepsi in the glass bottle

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
OUCH!

Wife did similar last month. Slicing away with a 8" Shun santoku, she gave a moment of inattention on the onion and swish. I hear her yelling and I didn't know what to make of it. By the string of curse words coming from her mouth something bad occurred. When I get to the counter, there is blood on the cutting board and floor. The paper towel she's holding around her finger has a growing red patch. Uh-oh.

I didn't see a finger tip so I asked her how bad she cut herself. She un-wraps the paper towel and there is a flap still attached but bleeding at a constant pace. She wraps it up and I tell her to rinse it off before I dress it. She's all squishy face since the water makes it sting. ;) Seeing it clean, it was about 1" log and 3/8" deep...near bone was my estimate. I asked her if she wanted to go to the ER for some stitches. "NO!"

Her bandage looked like "your friend's" when done.. It's healed now and she has some numbness in her finger tip and hyper-sensitivity at one location. Since the knife was quite sharp, it healed nicely...just a slim line where she was cut.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Since we're sharing stories in this thread, let me share an almost-story that aged me ten years in 1 second.

W.

If I have kids, I'm getting them a pair of Christmas bells to wear around their necks, when they start walking.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I sliced the middle of my left thumb when I was 12 shaving down a greenstick for a tent stake at summer camp. Same scenario, except sliced through the extensor tendon which resulted in a much longer cut by the hand surgeon, and three times as many sutures to repair it. Still not 100%. Thank God that wasn't a very sharp knife.

GRoLED

Newly Enlightened
OUCH! Sounds painful, reminds me or when my, er, friend :whistle:last cut himself, although not nearly as badly.

Same knife, a mini Grip, fresh of the sharpmaker. I (sorry he) was showing off how sharp it was by slicing through business cards with a gentle 'swipe' motion.

Unfortunuatley he didn't seem to realise that as the stips of card go flying you need to move you fingers down.

The blade was stopped when it the bone of the left index finger. The worst bit was that it was through the nail too, cuts heal but it takes longer for the nail to grow out.

I know the meaning of 'scary' sharp now, as it took VERY little force to slice through flesh like it wasn't there.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I guess if you use a pocketknife and haven't cut yourself, you haven't been using pocketknives long enough. I find that most of my injuries were from really small folders. Within 5 minutes of getting my Spyderco Ladybug it bit me. I'm trying to remember the last incident I had. Maybe it was my Native and I think I just barely bumped the point of it with my finger. So for what it's worth, I seem to be safer with bigger knives. Or I'm more cautious with bigger knives. :thinking:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess if you use a pocketknife and haven't cut yourself, you haven't been using pocketknives long enough. I find that most of my injuries were from really small folders....Or I'm more cautious with bigger knives.

I very rarely cut myself - even counting slight nicks as cuts - with my pocket knives. Too many years to remember the last time for certain. I was taught as a child to be very cautious with knives and grew up carrying slipjoint pocket knives.

I think maybe people get over confident when using locking blade knives. I handle lockback and linerlock knives just as cautiously as slipjoint knives. I never trust that the locking mechanism will keep the blade open. Except for a real emergency, I will never use a blade to pry.

I've cut myself many times over the years, but it's usually been done with screwdrivers, pliers, saws, etc.