PSA: Benchmades' are sharp. ( Hospital trip )....

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've cut myself with my knives, but never done that much damage???

I really do hate it when you cut something and 10 minutes later you notice you have a blood trail, then you say when did that happen and for no reason it starts hurting, because you know it's cut. Sucks.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
got mo some scars on my fingers aswell..not as scary as som of you guys! :crazy:

Reminds me of omne time when I was in junior boy scout. there was a older guy who was very proud of having three knives on him, and the rest of us (the younger ones) didnt have any. we played som game involving running around, and this kid (the older with the three knives) was up for the running part, he took a couple of steps, then stublmed and fell to the ground...
later that day the older boy wasnt so proud of having three knives on him anymore...one of them had found its way out of the sheath and located his n*t sack! OUTCH!

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once had the privilege to get a look at my left kneecap through both jeans and skin after a slight mishap sharpening a Spanish trench knife sitting down. I was fourteen at the time and it taught me some lessons about just how sharp a knife can get with ceramic rods. My parents were not pleased, to say the least. My father actually smiled knowingly, but my mother threw a fit. That kind of knife somewhat resembles a kukri, so it has extreme cutting power.

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
I used to do more general carpentry before I specialized more in trim work and furniture and I had taken a class in timber framing, AKA post and beam construction and I had found a wonderful old Stanley Chisel from about 1920 that was a socket end and was about 3 inches wide, maybe 18 inches long to the socket and used a turned wooden shaft as a handle that fit into the socket with a crush fit. similar to this. http://www.woodcraft.com/images/family/web247big.jpg

Well, instructor sees my Chisel and wonders if he could try it, he commented on the heft and sharpness and the ease with which it cleanly trimmed up end-grain white oak. After a few minutes of working with it he stood up and sort hunched and relaxed his shoulders, like one does after a period of concentration. The problem was he was holding the Chisel by the wooden handle, not the socket as one learns to do, Luckily for the edge of my chisel, the blade which free fell sharp edge down did not hit the concrete workshop floor, Unfortunately for him, it neatly fit behind his steel toe of his boot, and his outside metatarsal and managed to remove his little toe with near surgical precision. They reattached the toe but he was out of work for a few months.

Last edited:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
^For some reason; I pronounced his screen name as "guillotine_fool" instead of "gun-toting fool" when I read his story.

I've had some knife accidents before mostly with cuts on my thumb. I was once playing with my Uncle's Leatherman Micra and somehow managed to slice my thumb just enough to split the skin but not enough to draw blood. Even though no blood was drawn, it still didn't feel comfortable for me.

A long time ago, I was using one of my dad's Xacto knives for a crafts project I was working on. I was carving some cardboard and plastic and placed the knife on the work bench. Well, it rolled off and landed point side down on the vinyl tile in the garage/laundry area where I was working and stayed upright with end of the blade stuck into the vinyl floor. The scary part was my right foot was right next to where it landed; good thing it was not 2 and a half inches more to the left. Later that day though, I managed to "prick" my middle finger while carving up a piece of cardboard I was holding in my other hand.

Not knife related but similar; I had my dashboard taken apart since I was replacing some bulbs in the instrument panel and dropped a screw which fell into a hard to reach place below the steering column. I reached up under dash to see if I could get it and there was the edge of some sheet metal on the bottom of the steering column that I just happened to run my fingers along. Ended up with a nice cut going across my index, middle, and ring fingers which lined up with each other and myself saying "Who took a DMT diamond sharpener to that!"

A very dumb cut I had was when I decided to modify a Nerf gun which belonged to my friend's younger brother so he could shoot airsoft bbs out of it. I was drilling a hole in a small, round plastic part while holding it in one hand and the drill bit happened to suddenly go through the part and put a wicked gash on my left hand under the index finger. Some cleanup and a bandage later, I figured it was not a good idea to be holding something that was being drilled and set the next piece of plastic to be worked down before drilling it. Well, this time I "drilled" a hole in the top of the dining room table when the bit suddenly went through.

Last edited:

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
working in the trades and before that spending sometime in Central America, it's pretty much a given that i have seen some pretty dramatic oop's and other sharpthing injuries.

That was the one where another's momentary lapse of common sense ended up in a something pretty darn painful that included something of mine, as usually I never loan out tools or sharps.

After seeing several nail injuries from power nailers, one severed finger from a power-washer, a traumatic amputation at the elbow, one six story fall(non fatal, but not on my crew either) and several others from a lot less high, one interface of Skilsaw with lower abdomen and upper leg, one example of what 14.7KV in a wet environment will do to a careless guy who drank his lunch, several pretty bad slices from tin work, a compound fracture of a femur and tib/fib on the same leg from a misstep on metal scaffolding and the newbie who tried to hand feed a small block of wood into a wood shaper despite being told not to touch the machinery until I had trained him, I am pretty much not phased anymore by the sight of blood. I used to keep pictures of some of the injuries in my glove box to show newb's who thought they knew everything and wondered why we were so concerned about training in people to do it our way, but I gave up after they just quit listening. Now I pretty much only hire people who have been in the trades long enough to know better.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Glad you are OK, prayers for a full and speedy recovery!

Of course I have a prybaby, miniature screwdrivers, a prybar, a small Stanley wonder tool, a Leatherman Wave, but how can you resist using the knife that is right there to pry with?!?!?

Just two weeks ago I was playing with a new knife (a Razel) and doing some light food prep in the kitchen, "honey, please come take a picture of me cutting these vegetables." "thanks, how about this angle, and this side, and OWWW!" as I make a nice surgical incision in my finger.

C'est la vie!
daloosh

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many years ago a little keiki (kid in Hawai'ian) found a beautiful piece of lava glass. It looked almost like a shiny, black leaf. Imagine his pride when he took it home washed it in the kitchen sink to clear off all the dirt and mud, and it started looking like a shiny black jewel. So he carefully dried it off, then turned to grab a paper towel and managed to bump his forearm across a sharp edge. He turns back to the lava glass to see a puddle of blood on the floor! Uh, yeah, the lava glass was razor sharp and the poor little tyke (six or seven at the time) did what he could to stem the bleeding and clean up the mess without his parents finding out. His mom came in the kitchen, saw the bloody mess, and ran the tyke to the ER. Sometime later (and after many butterfly bandages) that evening the lava glass disappeared from the house... ;)

kdog3, hope you recuperate fully! Yikes!!!

Metatron

Banned
well, i pride myself of my sharpening capabilities and super quick reflexes, but the outcome wasnt good!
i EDC a mini grip and i shave with it as well, just because i can:naughty:
anyway, whilst rigging up some equipment from the back of my ute i bumped the knife and it began falling to the ground and there was no way in hell i was going to let its blade get nicked by the fall, so i grabbed at it only to find my thumb hit the ground instead:mecry:

lesson well learnt.

stockae92

Enlightened
ouch! scary stuff. hope "that guy" a speedy recovery

i "know a guy" that get "his" finger cut pretty good when cleaning a blade :(

no stitches but that was quite a painful experience "i heard"

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
As has been stated in other knife "oopsie" threads, I also "know a guy." He cut his thumb drawing a new knife out of a sheath. Of course he did it in front of his wife causing the usual "roll of the eyes" look. Better yet, he did it twice.

This stuff really is the definition of adding insult to injury. Fortunately when poop happens we (usually) heal up pretty quickly.

I've carried and worked with knives of all sizes daily for over 45 years so trust me when I say that it is always a good idea to remember that Murphy's Law says that knives are always sharper than your thumb and that they always have the sharp bits pointed towards you.

sygyzy

Enlightened
I am sorry that happened to you. I cut myself a few years ago with a kitchen knife but it was nothing compared to what you described.

By the way, this is the funniest thing I read all day.

R@ndom

Enlightened
*Somebody* severed *their* Thenar space a couple week ago while separating frozen chips. You could see the pretty blue lines inside you hand.:green:

Gatsby

Enlightened
This entire thread is like one giant wince... :green:

I think anyone who uses a knife has gotten a cut at some point. I vividly recall my first pocketknife and my uncle going over safe handling again and again. By and large I've been lucky (note I'm not saying I haven't done some stupid things despite that early head pounding) and not had anything as bad as that cut.

My not that bad a cut but idiotic Bart Simpson moment came from drying off the SAK spartan I keep at my desk for cutting apples and other food during lunch/snacks. I keep it pretty sharp and after a good washing I was wiping it clean with a paper towel and applied too much pressure cleanly slicing my left hand pointer finger. Not a terrible cut but enought to smart and bleed like heck. The worst part was I did the exact same thing about 2 weeks later.

Sometimes it takes men an extra turn to figure things out... :sigh:

brucec

Enlightened
A former girlfriend of mine cut her toe to the bone on the edge of my snowboard while rushing to answer the telephone. Actually, it wasn't really a cut but more of a scraping of the flesh to the bone. I was still sleeping in the other room and heard her whimper "I'm bleeding", which in my half-awake state I mistook as "I'm leaving". So I asked her where she was going. A few times. After no reply, I checked out the other room and she was softly crying while holding her foot. 4 stitches on a tiny pinky toe and from that day onwards, we always kept the snowboards in their bags at home.

Burgess

Flashaholic
This is a Scary Thread, and makes me go

:eeksign:

BTW . . . .

Just last weekend, i was thinking about getting
a couple of nice PocketKnives for my 8-year-old nephews.

NeverMind ! ! !

:eek:
_