Quark slate blue, gotta have it

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for your loss, just breath deep and take one day at a time!

The AA version arrived yesterday (Praise God) took from Dec 8th to yesterday to get this one!

Just ills me b/c it was a 9.00 shipping charge. Not Prometheus's fault, I'm ill at the USPS!

Anyways, at 6'4" with large hands the single 16650 isn't the best fit for me and I wanted a larger space between the med and low modes. The 2xAA fits the bill greatly!

I may need to get the black one too as I have grown used to using a non-tail standing older Quark turbo tail cap on my current Quark click.

The tints on these are amazing, and the contrast between hotspot and spill are perfect for my usage. For real: seeing the tint makes me want to email him and ask if he would consider putting this LED in my Quark click. It's that good!

Another great option for me is the AA usage, I always "try" and only use rechargeable cells but in a pinch (hasn't happened yet) I have an inexhaustible supply of AA alkaline cells at work.

wweiss

Enlightened
I just got my QSlate - thanks to those who posted here their attributions, but especially nbp, who braved north country cold to get us beam shots...

My order included the aspheric lenses kit which I installed one of tonight. They nailed it. This light is now a hot thrower with spill to your feet. Very, very well done - transforms this light to an almost magical degree. The dog is tired of all the walks tonight - he just wanted to come in and go to bed...

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have ordered the aspheric. Though it looks fine without it. What! No lanyard. Why have lanyard holes but no lanyard? I pulled out my quarks and tried the 16650 in it. Just a hair too tight. If it didn't have the protection circuit, I'd shove it in there

2dkl6TU.jpg

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good light.

~ cG

340pd

Newly Enlightened
Over the weekend I decided to check on my "glovebox" AA flashlights (two in each car) only to remember I earlier had decided to run with all AAA's so I would have interchangeability. None of them were stellar performers as two were of the variety from Costco listed below.

Then, doing an inventory of my in-home flashlights, I discovered the ones that I never touch but my wife uses from time to time were weak or had leaking cells. No loss as they were bought at Costco years ago and came in a three pack, two of which wound up in the cars. Into the trash they went to be replaced with an older Preon P2 and a Malkoff MDC123 that I had on the workbench. That ought to cover her simple occasional household needs.

Needing an excuse to buy a couple replacements for for the cars and being so happy with my new Slate Blue 16650, this morning I ordered two Quark AA MKIII's in slate blue figuring they will be perfect replacements for the poorly working glovebox lights.

Last edited:

wweiss

Enlightened
Interesting thing about the aspheric lens kit. As I said above it is absolutely fantastic and it does protrude about 2 1/2 mm from the level of the bezel. If you use the clip that comes with the light however, it does not scratch the bottom of your pants pocket and probably wouldn't impact a knife, keys or anything else unless your pockets are full of gravel too. Besides, a little scuffing on the lens surface is not going to affect the beam at all unless you really put a gouge in it.

wweiss

Enlightened
By the way, if anyone wants beam shots of the aspheric lens kit I shall do it, but as I am not as kind and as much of a gentleman as nbp - there will be a service charge to anyone who wishes them. I will email or post beam shots here to anyone who wishes them for the very nominal charge of $6 ea. and eight dollars US shipping. I won't ship overseas at this time. No trades.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hahahahaha

That's good!

I went ahead and dropped the optic in the 16650 this morning and I like it,

but I think I'm gonna like my 2xAA version better for my needs.

you guys may see a 16650 with a lens and two cells show up in the for sale threads in a week or two. Hahaha

wweiss

Enlightened
Hahahahaha

That's good!

I went ahead and dropped the optic in the 16650 this morning and I like it,

but I think I'm gonna like my 2xAA version better for my needs.

you guys may see a 16650 with a lens and two cells show up in the for sale threads in a week or two. Hahaha

I don't know where you live, but you should wait till tonight to render a final verdict. I think you'll like the fact that the spill drops right at your toes and you have nearby awareness and that throw. The full moon will interfere a bit but find a dark woods or alley and try it out.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually tried it out in the early morning in the dark before I headed into work. I have plenty of woods in the back yard oh say maybe 30-200 yards worth but the lovely test for me is my white shed in the back corner. Really makes tint differences stand out.

It's nice having the 2xAA version as my daily carry for work and the 16650 in a holster as a back-up of sorts.

I (like many of you) struggle with how many "other" flashlights are really needed or SANE! hahahaha

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
............ I pulled out my quarks and tried the 16650 in it. Just a hair too tight. If it didn't have the protection circuit, I'd shove it in there

I found that the Orbtronic 16650 cells fit nicely in my older Quark 123^2 bodies, which were always a tight fit on the old AW 17670.

They have a direct website now.

bpbpoo

Newly Enlightened
Does the lower CRI bug anyone else? I ended up having to return mine [emoji53]

nbp

Flashaholic
I'm surprised you were displeased. It's 90+ CRI. I would say it's quite good, to me.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. The CRI on mine at least seems about on par with my lights with Nichia 219C emitters. Sure, it doesn't stack up to the SST20s or Yujis in my collection, but it is by no means low CRI.

bpbpoo

Newly Enlightened
The SST20 is my benchmark. Might just be spoiled at this point. I think I prefer the tint of the 219cs as well, so between those two factors the 319a just didn't work for me.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone get the lens kit or just the aspherics? Is it necessary to get the extra reflector in the kit or can I drop in just the lens in my current quark as it is?

wweiss

Enlightened
Did anyone get the lens kit or just the aspherics? Is it necessary to get the extra reflector in the kit or can I drop in just the lens in my current quark as it is?

I think so. Look at the install video on Dark Sucks. Jason explains the delrin reflector as needed to support the lens and brighten the near spill.