Quark slate blue, gotta have it

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone get the lens kit or just the aspherics? Is it necessary to get the extra reflector in the kit or can I drop in just the lens in my current quark as it is?

The beam would look terrible with the stock OP reflector. The optic not only projects the image of the emitter, but the reflector as well, which results in a funky looking orange peel spill.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone get the lens kit or just the aspherics? Is it necessary to get the extra reflector in the kit or can I drop in just the lens in my current quark as it is?

Can I ask how difficult it was get your original older Quark head apart?

I'm sure I want to try if it's going to be a real fight!

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lens will not clear the current reflector. It requires the aspheric holder to allow the head to be re-assembled. So yes, the kit. Save your lens and reflector to swap back in the future.

nbp

Flashaholic
I keep thinking I should buy one of the black ones to see what it's like. I don't mind cooler tints actually.

MKLight

Enlightened
I keep thinking I should buy one of the black ones to see what it's like. I don't mind cooler tints actually.

I like it, but am thinking I should try the Slate version. I'm not sure there is enough of a difference to try it, though. I've read through the thread and it seems enticing...but do I NEED it. You may have noticed, I didn't end that last sentence with a question mark. Haha

I like it, but am thinking I should try the Slate version. I'm not sure there is enough of a difference to try it, though. I've read through the thread and it seems enticing...but do I NEED it. You may have noticed, I didn't end that last sentence with a question mark. Haha

The Blue Slate is akin to a snowboard. :twothumbs

You keep your skis (Black 219) telling yourself you'll use them again. But, alas, the truth is they just sit in a corner collecting dust.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slate Blue QK16L arrived Sat 27Feb21. Nichia 319A beam and tint are phenomenal, great transition from spot to spill!
Are the lumen specs actually the same as the black model? I don't have the black model but the 40lm medium from the slate seems a lot brighter than some other lights I have that claim to be in that range, both in a ceiling bounce and backyard testing. Maybe its the excellent beam profile and more light going forward unlike optics lights, but I'd guess the med to be more like 60+ lumens.

It's bright enough on Med that I would actually prefer that Med was dialed down a notch or two (20-30) and then add a Med/High ~100 lm level.

**EDIT** Box and instruction sheet says Med is 100lm but the website says Med is 40lm. If is actually 100lm with proportionately shorter runtime then frankly I fell mislead. I do think there is way too big a step from Moon to med as it is. I passed on the Kickstarter because of the 100lm med.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
**EDIT** Box and instruction sheet says Med is 100lm but the website says Med is 40lm. If is actually 100lm with proportionately shorter runtime then frankly I fell mislead. I do think there is way too big a step from Moon to med as it is. I passed on the Kickstarter because of the 100lm med.
The box is the correct information. I will forward your input to have that looked into.

Edit: Nope. See Post #156

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The box is the correct information. I will forward your input to have that looked into.

In that case this light desperately needs a real medium level between 20-40 lm. 100lm is way more than you need and frankly undesirable for walking around a public campground or looking under your desk or car seat for the thing you just dropped, but 1lm isn't enough. I think you could do it while adding only one more configuration to the menu.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. The Box and manual are wrong. the Factory sent V.1 data instead of V.2 data on this runs boxes and manuals of lights by mistake. It has been corrected moving forward.

In that case this light desperately needs a real medium level between 20-40 lm. 100lm is way more than you need and frankly undesirable for walking around a public campground or looking under your desk or car seat for the thing you just dropped, but 1lm isn't enough. I think you could do it while adding only one more configuration to the menu.
This run of Slate Blue QK16L's Med are ~40-50 lumens, not 100. I agree adding a ~15 lumen level between 1 lumen low and the 40 lumen Medium would work great. I think there were firmware restrictions preventing the adding of an additional mode level previously during the MKIII R&D phase a few years back. Medium is my most used setting on these. I really like the new LED's beam shape created by it's die shape, it's really smooth and pleasantly "CRI Creamy" (hey hands off I just thought of this sniglet lol). The QK2A is less bright with a closer mode spacing appearance. I've been running the single RCR123HD and single AA tubes with very good results.

nbp

Flashaholic
So the website is wrong too? Specs are approximately 1/40/400 for L/M/H?

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the website is wrong too? Specs are approximately 1/40/400 for L/M/H?
Yes Neal that is correct to the best of local testing. Prometheus is aware of the V.1 to V.2 error and has corrected it. This stems from Prototype to ver.2 testing. The production factory mixed up the printing of boxes and manuals. No excuses, just the pitfalls associated with production of products :(.