Quarks - To clip or not to clip

woodentsick

Enlightened
Hey CPF,

As the title (hopefully:whistle:) mentions, I was wondering whether you guys used the clip on you Quarks or not? Of course, this doesn't only apply to Quarks, but because all clips are usually different, it might be more useful for me to have input on that specific series.

I just got my Quark AA-2 R5 today and I'm very happy overall, except that I removed the clip almost immediately :D

Thanks,

woodentsick

drmaxx

Enlightened
I am still pondering this question too. :wave:

I don't like the clip too much. It is not high enough (there is quite some flashlight still sticking out when you clip it to something) and makes using the flashlight uncomfortable.

Still, the disadvantage of NOT having a clip still weighs in more.

JCDLE

Newly Enlightened
Of the two lights I own that came with clips installed (Quark 123^2 tactical and Lumapower Incendio V3), the only one that still has the clip is the 123^2 tactical, only because I keep it on my nightstand lying on its side and the clip prevents it from rolling away.

If a light is going to ride in my pocket, the clip is coming off. That's why I just ordered a Quark 123 tactical no-clip model. I don't do lanyards, either. I want the smallest light possible.

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
My Quark AA rides clipped inside my right hand pocket every day.

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hi woodentsick,

I have the same question for myself, except it's for the Quark 123. With the 123, the clip is not removable, but a clipless model is available

As to your question for the AA2, I think you need to consider the following at a minimum.

1) Are you going to actually use the clip for a pocket, backpack strap, jacket, etc.?,

2) or would it be primarily carried clipless inside a pocket w/ the clip used later as an anti-roll device?,

3) would the clip be used as an added measure of grip?

The nice thing with Quark AA2 is that the clip is removable & reversible and so you are not limited.

John

jcalvert

Enlightened
To jackthedog & JCDLE,

I'm ordering a Quark 123 non-tactical on Friday and since the clip on the 123 clipped-version is not removable, I wondered since you both have clipless 123s, how do you keep it from rolling away when it's on its side on a flat surface, since just standing it on end would be so easy to knock over? I need to consider my options. Thanks!

John

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the single cell I'd vote go clipless, if your worried about roll, leave the lanyard on ;)

Hiya jcalvert, hope that helps some.

jcalvert

Enlightened
For the single cell I'd vote go clipless, if your worried about roll, leave the lanyard on ;)

Hiya jcalvert, hope that helps some.

Thanks CH,

That'll work nicely! I neglected to think about a small, simple lanyard which I do prefer to use with my propensity for dropping small objects. You came through again. Must be the longjohns!

John

Wastegate

Newly Enlightened
For the clipless folks, you don't worry about the lens getting scratched up in you pocket with change, keys, etc?

recDNA

Flashaholic
The Quarks are great little lights. I really like them, but I loathe their clips.

Quarks are lanyard only lights for me.

I used to hate the Quark clips but I've been carrying my Titanium 123 X 2 in my front pocket and the fact that the top (clicky) sticks out only makes it more comfortable. I don't even notice it in my pocket....but others do....and I get lots of questions about the "pretty silver flashlight" in my pocket. When I whip it out (anybody remember Blazing Saddles? LOL) and show it to them they can't believe how bright a little pocket flashlight can be. If 4Sevens still sold them I could have sold 5 of them. A lady at work offered me $100 for it (to give to her son in engineering school) and couldn't believe when I refused. She's just going to have to get over it.

Yes, I would prefer deep pocket carry but I've learned to like it how it is.

I don't like the clip on my Titanium 123 X 1 because it is bezel up even though it is deeper pocket carry.

JCDLE

Newly Enlightened
For the clipless folks, you don't worry about the lens getting scratched up in you pocket with change, keys, etc?

How does the clip protect the lens? It doesn't. If there is something in you pocket to scratch the lens, it will do it.

I keep my lights separate from the rest of my belongings. Knife in left pants pocket, keys in right pants pocket. Light goes in jacket pocket.

JCDLE

Newly Enlightened
To jackthedog & JCDLE,

I'm ordering a Quark 123 non-tactical on Friday and since the clip on the 123 clipped-version is not removable, I wondered since you both have clipless 123s, how do you keep it from rolling away when it's on its side on a flat surface, since just standing it on end would be so easy to knock over? I need to consider my options. Thanks!

John

Don't knock it over! I put a GITD O-ring on my quark body to prevent it from rolling away easily. Slows it down. Beyond that, I guess use a lanyard. I just don't like lanyards because they add bulk.

recDNA

Flashaholic
How does the clip protect the lens? It doesn't. If there is something in you pocket to scratch the lens, it will do it.

I keep my lights separate from the rest of my belongings. Knife in left pants pocket, keys in right pants pocket. Light goes in jacket pocket.

I keep my Quark in my right pocket. I wear my Droid in a holster over my right pocket. Consequently, I tend not to put anything else in my right pocket since the phone makes access awkward. Still, the clip suspends my flashlight a couple of inches above the bottom of my pocket where change might be. I wear keys on a belt clip on my left side so they don't get near the Quark. Of course my 123 mini bounces around on the key chain all day! One is none. TWO is one.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's either a keychain light for me, or bare. I've never used or liked lanyards or clips on lights. I'll use clips on pens, and put a lanyard on a pocket camera, but that's it.

jcalvert

Enlightened
Don't knock it over! I put a GITD O-ring on my quark body to prevent it from rolling away easily. Slows it down. Beyond that, I guess use a lanyard. I just don't like lanyards because they add bulk.

JCDLE,

"Don't knock it over", that's a good one, LOL. Look up clumsy in the dictionary and you'll see my picture.

However, an O-ring is a really good idea!
icon14.gif
In fact, if someone has any idea where I could find a, thick, dense, rubber band/o-ring with a smaller inner diameter than the Quark's body, so I could slip it on tightly and use it as a type of low-profile tactical ring for added grip as well as an anti-roll device, that would be helpful. Any ideas?

Also, I'm sure I've seen somwhere on CPF for a really well-made, low-profile clip that could be added to a clip-less Quark with screws. Can anyone lead me to info on that? Thanks

To woodentsick,

Have you decided yet how you're going to carry yours?

John

Nokoff

Enlightened
I don't like where it sits on the AA, so I removed it, and it's just easier to holster the AA2, even tho I kept the clip on that one just in case

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I leave the clips on. I use my lights for biking as well as EDC use, camping, etc. and the clip gives me a lot more options for use.

I use TwoFish blocks on my handlebars and helmet, and run the strap under and then back over the clip and it helps keep the light more secure that way. The only thing that really bugs me about the Quark clips is that the one on my AA wiggles a little bit and I've never been able to get it to not do that. The ones on my AA^2's don't, and the one on my 18650 body don't either.