Question about Olight S15 vs. S15 Ti

sarge1967

Newly Enlightened
I am looking real hard at these lights for EDC.
From the reviews I have read the Ti version has a neutral white LED. Does this LED take away the green tint that is found with the standard S15?
I noticed that the max Lumens is 260 on the Ti and 280 on the standard. Is this due to the different LED as well?

Thanks for any input.

kj2

Flashaholic
NW tint has always a little bit less output, than CW. Normally around 6% less. If it's really NW, you shouldn't have a green tint just creamy white :)

ronniepudding

Enlightened
This may be a lottery thing, but my S15 Ti has a noticeably yellow tint. I've read similar reports from other owners. My S10-L2 neutral (same emitter) is not yellow, but if I'm honest it does have a bit of green. These are good lights otherwise, but If tint is really important to you, I'd say the Baton line is not the best choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

sarge1967

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys.
I would not say that the tint is extremely important to me but I don't want a real ugly green light. If it is slightly green I can deal with that.

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened
Funny I was just going through similar thoughts a couple days ago..

The s15Ti does not tail lock as easy as the regular edition. I am going through owners remorse right now. I wished I had waited and done more research, but the reviews says the Ti nothing special. The magnet is almost useless once the extender is on. It becomes too heavy to mount horizontally on walls or cabinets. Celing mount vertically with two AA.
regardless, Titanium is titanium it's shiny. I want it...
To maximize brightness the S15 it needs a 14500 lithium -ion cell or two 1.5v AA. Do some math it may be cheaper to buy the R series baton model with rechargeables and charging station.
Titanium marks up pretty easy. It's make me sad to see marked up, scratched, dinged or damaged Titanium .
I like the batons functions, the button is very easy to push, bright, wide spot, good throw and spill for a small light.
moonlite, glow ring in the lens, and deep mount clip. Good edc.

Tint snobs beware, mine is purple... And I have read about inconsistency ... Customer service has Well mixed reviews. I have read about super service then I try to get some and I am ignored or took the incorrect procedures. Newbies. Pfff. Oh wait, that is me (points in mirror with newbie sign above it) how long until the enlightened become fledged flash a holics?

HJM

Last edited:

ronniepudding

Enlightened
The s15Ti does not tail lock as easy as the regular edition. I am going through owners remorse right now.

I think it's safe to say that the S15 Ti doesn't tail lock at all =) That, combined with the proud button makes the Ti model a poor choice for EDC in my opinion. You're always going to have a high risk of accidental activation. For EDC, I'd get the S15R instead, -- or if Li-ion power source isn't appealing, and you're OK with locking out the tailcap when it's in your pocket, then you could get one of the older S15-L2 models and save a few bucks. The thing is, (as HandyJoeMann said) the older ones are optimized for 2xAA (~3v) input, so carrying it as a 1xAA isn't going to give the best efficiency and output unless you opt to use a 14500 or CRAA primary. So there's a bit of compromise involved.

Another thing to consider is that the S15 Ti driver has different outputs/modes for lower 1xAA NiMh/L91/Alkaline voltage... IIRC it's 1) moonlight, 2) low, and 3) a higher medium (or lower high depending upon how you look at it). So the Ti model is "optimized" for BOTH ~1.5v and ~3v, but you lose turbo mode when running at ~1.5 volts. Again, a compromise. I'm not sure if the S15R includes this updated driver design or not... might be worth researching if you're planning on carrying it with a lower voltage battery.

The S15 Ti is very pretty, but it will scratch easily, and it's noticeably heavier than the aluminium versions. I knew this and the above limitations when I purchased it, and got it (partially because it was on sale) with the intention of using it around the house because I like the UI. It's my nightstand light, and it's in moonlight mode 95% of the time, so the yellow tint doesn't really bother me. Also, if something goes bump in the night, a double-click gives me turbo instantly.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both.... it's a lottery. My NW Ti also looks yellow (as RP mentions) and my regular CW is a very nice white - no green or blue (and I have a lights that are). It is annoying that the Ti tailcap doesn't lockout, as mentioned, but I can switch tailcaps and then both lights will lockout. FWIW, my Ti meters 0.11/2.6/100 and regular 0.22/7.4/78/140 on 1x Eneloop. Have a look at the S15Rs too, but they seem to be having some V.1 issues.

sarge1967

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses folks. I had looked at the 15r originally but read here that a bunch of people are having issues with the r series lights. (There is a running thread on this forum) so I thought the older version would be better. I will not get the Ti version if it scratches easily.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both my S10 (cool white) and S10 Ti (neutral) came with very greenish tints. The green came mostly from the choice of anti-reflective coating on the lens. Replacing the lens largely solved this problem.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the S15 Baton. Design wise it looks brilliant and is a fantastic size. And a wonderful UI.

BUT....

The tint is dreadful. I have cheapy cheapy budget lights with way better tint. I really don't know what it is with "premium" makers like Olight that think, "umm yes that ugly colour beam is perfect.".

It's apparently the lens at fault, but I think it's glued in, I haven't yet managed to remove mine.

But this isn't it's only vice.

The button just too easily activates in your pocket, this makes if bloody useless as an EDC.

Performance on 1AA is dreadful and performance on a 14500 is lousy.

I've found it works well as a 2AA light, but obviously makes it longer and the magnet isn't always strong enough now to hold it horizontally.

If you want it to play with and keep on a shelf - get it.

If you want to EDC in a pocket - look elsewhere for a different make.

LlF

Newly Enlightened
If you hold the button ~4sec from off it will disable the button and turn off the light. Repeat to re enable it.
i never tail lock any lights, I guess It would take you as much time to tail lock another light? I think I perfer this method better.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I just got one of the new S15 batons, and figured I'd follow up.

First, the new black button is great. It is flush with the switch surround/collar, and effectively reduces the likelihood of accidental activation. This was my biggest complaint about the old version (with the proud, blue button), and makes this light much more suitable for EDC IMHO. Olight seems to have updated all their models to use this new button design, which was introduced on the rechargeable versions (S15R, S10R, etc.) at the end of last year.

Second, I got a cool white emitter. While this may be luck of the draw -- and while it's admittedly a subjective judgement -- I think the tint is MUCH better on this new version CW than it was on the two neutrals (S10-L2, and S15 Ti) I bought previously. It's not perfect... there's still an ever-so-slightly yellow tinge to the corona when shining on a white wall at < 5 ft. if you look for it. However, I think it's unreasonable to expect perfection from an XM-L2 in a smooth reflector at this price point, and the artifacts are unnoticeable during ordinary usage. When I compare the new CW side-by-side with the aforementioned neutrals, it looks darned close to pure white. I hope others have similar luck with theirs.