Question for HAM radio operators

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you mention it, because I was running a roll up j-pole but wanted something more permanent. Not to mention I like to keep the j-pole in my car with my HT in case I ever needed to deploy it on the move. Great suggestion!

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've made a j-pole out of 3/4" copper pipe before and it worked great...I think the plans were in an ARRL issue quite a few years back, but there should be plenty of plans online. The copper pipe is sturdy, low profile (paint it to blend in wherever you want to put it), and will withstand permanent use outdoors...

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
My buddy makes some really cool yagis for 2m/70cm. He does some real fancy ones out of aluminum, and he also does some out of tape measures. They are so portable and work excellent. I will see if he can send me a pic of them and I will post them. They are neat. They are great if you have a repeater or base station that is a ways off. You can point that sucker at them and get up to 7.5db of gain. I used his tape measure rig on a fox hunt once. It worked very well. It is easier to maneuver in a car than a solid antenna like the Arrow one I have.

fineshot1

Newly Enlightened
I know this is an older thread but thought i would add from my experience.

The X200A is a taller virtical element 2 piece antenna and eventually higher winds, this
and constant expansion and contraction due to temp variations as well as vibrations
will wear on the mating of these two pieces. The difference of the two models gain
figures is small and does not warrant the taller antenna in probable maintenance.

The smaller X50A is in my view a much better antenna for the buck.......Dan N2AYM

Last edited:

Latest posts