Questions about a new saint headset

BruceInSB

Newly Enlightened
Hi all-- so after reading on here about the saint-- i pulled the trigger and got one... It does seem very well made-- but i am finding a problem and wanted to get your input before starting to work on a solution.. The on/off switch seems to be too stiff.. ON the left side of the headlamp is the level (up and down) adjust.. On the right side is the on/off adjust knob... You turn it on by rotating the knob on the right -- problem is-- its so stiff it just moved the lamp up and down.. I have to hold the lamp with my left hand in place and then use the right hand to turn it on.. Will this loosen up? It seems like the adjust on the left should be stiffer to hold the light in place while you turn it on.... Any thoughts?

BruceInSB

Newly Enlightened
Hello? I know there are some guys around here with saints--- any input about the adjust stiffness ?????? :rolleyes:

vtunderground

Enlightened
My Saint does not have that problem...

It might help to work the switch off and on (all the way from off to max) over and over again, and hopefully it will loosen up over time. Or you could try try to get some silicone-based lube up inside the switch dial, where the seal is.

red02

Enlightened
Hi all-- so after reading on here about the saint-- i pulled the trigger and got one... It does seem very well made-- but i am finding a problem and wanted to get your input before starting to work on a solution.. The on/off switch seems to be too stiff.. ON the left side of the headlamp is the level (up and down) adjust.. On the right side is the on/off adjust knob... You turn it on by rotating the knob on the right -- problem is-- its so stiff it just moved the lamp up and down.. I have to hold the lamp with my left hand in place and then use the right hand to turn it on.. Will this loosen up? It seems like the adjust on the left should be stiffer to hold the light in place while you turn it on.... Any thoughts?
What you can do is quickly twist the switch on. The key is to accelerate it such that you overcome the initial friction. It does get less stiff, but if you turn it slowly enough it will still rotate the light assembly.

Last edited:

BruceInSB

Newly Enlightened
Its too bad cause i really wanted to like this light..But this thing shows no sign of loosening up enough to not twist.. I tried the 'HAH-- GOT YOU" fast turn on attempt-- no go.. and i tried the "im on im off im on im off" about 30 times atempt-- lol still no go.. Well i got it from REI-- so i can just return it NP.. Might try another one or save about a 100bucks and go with a zebralight H51 or something..

BruceInSB

Newly Enlightened
So i decided to contact surfire and the responce i got was not what i extected..

Dear Sir,

The power-control knob on the Saint headlamp is intentionally designed to be very tight. This is to ensure that the light is never inadvertently changed to a different power setting when working in high-tempo environments. We recommend using your left hand to stabilize the light and set the direction of your beam while simultaneously using your right hand to choose the appropriate power setting for your situation.

Thank You

Greg Lin
Technical Support Representative

So basically-- even though all of our ads and brochures show its a single hand use system-- since the one you got is messed up and needs both hands-- we will just change our stand and say to use both hands..... :fail:

DesertFox

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine a while. It does loosen up a little bit over time. But then, when it was new, mine wasn't as tight as yours seems to be.

ChrisG

Newly Enlightened
Re: Answer and another question

Just got mine today.
No spinning when I turn it on and the switch is not too tight.

I took out the 123s and tried some 2500 mAh Nimh AAs.
Are those OK in the Saint? I ask because I noticed when I turn the light to 100% brightness it starts flickering.

Is that because the AAs aren't strong enough to drive the light?
I mostly just want to make sure I don't damage my new light. :)

With the 123s there was no flickering.

red02

Enlightened

Just got mine today.
No spinning when I turn it on and the switch is not too tight.

I took out the 123s and tried some 2500 mAh Nimh AAs.
Are those OK in the Saint? I ask because I noticed when I turn the light to 100% brightness it starts flickering.

Is that because the AAs aren't strong enough to drive the light?
I mostly just want to make sure I don't damage my new light. :)

With the 123s there was no flickering.
NiMH are fine, maybe your cells need a charge...

I get full brightness for 2hrs+ with 2xEneloops.

I've had mine a while. It does loosen up a little bit over time. But then, when it was new, mine wasn't as tight as yours seems to be.

Same here. It probably took a good month to loosen up.

Last edited:

ChrisG

Newly Enlightened

Thanks red02, they were charged at 100% percent when I put them in (at least according to the BC900).

Sounds like I need to try some Eneloops.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
...ON the left side of the headlamp is the level (up and down) adjust.. On the right side is the on/off adjust knob... You turn it on by rotating the knob on the right -- problem is-- its so stiff it just moved the lamp up and down.. It seems like the adjust on the left should be stiffer to hold the light in place while you turn it on.... Any thoughts?
Mine has become looser so adjusting power often adjusts the aim up/down. That's not right. The solution is NOT to hold it with your left hand -- I don't care what Surefire says. If it requires two hands to adjust the power, that's a defect -- either manufacturing or design.

I haven't sent mine back because I already returned it once due to a poor beam pattern -- that was fixed. I've just decided to live with it the current problem.

red02

Enlightened
Mine has become looser so adjusting power often adjusts the aim up/down. That's not right. The solution is NOT to hold it with your left hand -- I don't care what Surefire says. If it requires two hands to adjust the power, that's a defect -- either manufacturing or design.

I haven't sent mine back because I already returned it once due to a poor beam pattern -- that was fixed. I've just decided to live with it the current problem.
What you can do is turn it on quickly with a jerk rather than a smooth motion. While that works for me, if your not happy with it send it back. Its unreasonable to eat 180 or 130 for a luxury item you don't like.

Its better to get things right than fume over what might have been.

red02

Enlightened
Even if the switch is stiff all you really have to do is hold the front of the lamp assembly with three fingers that are not doing the twisting. Those fingers will apply the torque needed to resist the turning.

IMO I'd rather it be too tight than too loose.

BruceInSB

Newly Enlightened
Red-- i agree.. id much rather have it too tight then too lose... Your idea of turning it fast to allow the static stiction to hold the bezel in place just wont work.. This thing is so stiff-- that no matter what i do or how fast i try to twist the knob-- the body just spins.. For me its a 100% of the time two hand item... I got it at rei so ill just send it back and have them send me a new one.. But i have a sinking feeling the new one will have the same problem.. Its a shame surefile doesnt make the slots that hold the body out of aluminum and put a tightening screw in place so you can dial in the stiffness...

red02

Enlightened
You don't want to try holding it up with the fingers of the hand thats turning the knob?

Seems like that would solve the problem...

grumbler

Newly Enlightened
ON the left side of the headlamp is the level (up and down) adjust.. On the right side is the on/off adjust knob...

Wait, I have a Minimus, and there's only ONE knob. I think what you're describing as a "on/off" adjust knob is actually the cover to the battery compartment. It's not a knob, and it's supposed to be tight-- watertight.

Try using your headlamp with the knob you're supposed to :D

vtunderground

Enlightened
Wait, I have a Minimus, and there's only ONE knob. I think what you're describing as a "on/off" adjust knob is actually the cover to the battery compartment. It's not a knob, and it's supposed to be tight-- watertight.

Haha, good catch! I definitely missed the description of incorrect "knob" usage.

ANY Saint will require two hands to turn the battery compartment cover!

Latest posts