• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

R50 Pro/R50 Pro LE Discussion

gteague

Newly Enlightened
Re: Failed Light

That's a bummer. Disappointing.......

well, it's more than that for a light sold as an emergency light designed for law enforcement use.

i did realize i have one more thing to try to see if it's the light staying on the charger which is causing it and that's to take out yet another battery (this is about my 5th now, but olight did send me 3 and i have two of them left), charge it in the rapid dock charger until the green light comes on, and then remove the light and then only use the charger when i need a rapid charge and immediately remove it. i'll report back, but it might be weeks or months before i run one charge down unless i have to chase off a rabid raccoon at midnight or something. :)

/guy

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's alarming when "designed for law enforcement" is used as a selling point without adequate testing.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened

just had a power outage. i looked around the room and no emergency light. when i got some light going i checked my r50 and guess what? the *inappropriate language removed* dead again. this time i had let it go for 3 weeks without touching it, then checked it once a week for 3-4 weeks. so i'd say it lasted about 4 weeks. so this light is dead to me and olight is dead to me. i was pretty sure their battery excuse was just that--a pathetic attempt to keep from replacing all the $150 lights they'd sold.

i can still use it, but it's useless as an emergency light--i'm going to trash the charger right now. i'll have to charge the batteries in my other non-le r50 which only has the usb charger in the tailcap as i don't have a charger that will even work for the r50 batteries unless the one with the two magnetic leads that olight makes will do it. and i'm sure that would take 12-24 hours to charge considering how much amperage that battery is and how tiny and thin that little charger is.

/guy

Interesting timing. I posted previously that I was going to give my replacement battery a test of being on the charger untouched for one full month. As noted by the datestamp on that earlier post, the test is over.... tomorrow. We'll see if I get the same thing.

gteague

Newly Enlightened

every time i've picked it up off the dock it's been warm for a couple of inches up from from the tail cap, but not excessively so. but it since it had a full charge within hours and hadn't been used so it would need more charging, it indicates to me that current is constantly flowing from the charger trying to get into the battery. that's my only guess so far. i'm going to try to use the new r50 instead of my old r50 so i can see what happens when it's not sitting in the charger and is used regularly.

perhaps what is needed is a smart decision like is in the apple iphone which won't try to charge at all if it sees the charge is above about 94%. in other words, the dock might not have such a throttle.

/guy

subchub

Newly Enlightened
I absolutely love my R50vn (5000k) and I really want the pro version too. I just wish it was offered in natural white. But I understand why some companies choose not to.

Hello,
I have the R50 Pro but see this "vn" does this mean it is "shaved dome"?

Thank you I am new to this forum and new to the flashlight world. I love the olights but also notice that Acebeam is very strong bright too.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,
I have the R50 Pro but see this "vn" does this mean it is "shaved dome"?

Thank you I am new to this forum and new to the flashlight world. I love the olights but also notice that Acebeam is very strong bright too.

VN is the trademark for modified lights by Vinh Nguyen, one of our own CPF light modifiers. You can find his name and work in the modded light section of the forum.

A R50 modified by Vinh Nguyen is the R50vn. He has many threads and a website called SkyLumen.com where you can find the R50vnP shave dome option.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
Test results are in...

...and the battery is dead as a doornail. Again. Exactly like before.

Apparently this "bad batch of batteries" diagnosis is a fail. I'm still thinking it's the charger. Either way, back to customer service...

pk58

Newly Enlightened
I just found my battery is dead and rang my dealer in Australia . Who said the battery will be replaced ASAP.
Because they get shipped here I'm worried the batteries will be the faulty ones. Do the new batteries have a marking on them to distinguish the latest type?

Blaid

Newly Enlightened
I just talked to Battery Junction who has agreed to replace the bad battery I bought from them. Problem is...I have 3 more purchased from amazon. Not sure if they are from a bad batch or if it is in fact the charging cradle...

pk58

Newly Enlightened
All has gone quiet here about my bad battery. Looks like my R50 Pro LE is going to the bin

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
All has gone quiet here about my bad battery. Looks like my R50 Pro LE is going to the bin

Im not sure if the reason for dead batteries is conclusive. Seems like the only people having problems are the ones using the charging cradle. I've had mine for months now w/o any problems but only use my cradle for short bursts while driving from one customers house to the next.

Read through the last few pages of these threads and you will find that it has been LE owners that have left thier light on the cradle for multiple weeks that are having issues.

Seems like an over charge protection that gets popped and leaves the battery rendered useless. The light is still ok and will work with a new battery.

I'm told that if you contact Olight they will send you a new battery free of charge. Yet, Im pretty sure I've read that even new warrantied batteries have proven faulty as well.

My advice:

Get warrantied battery.

Keep the light.

Use the cradle for short term charges.

Don't leave light in cradle.

Unfortunately it seems this LE Edition light could potentially leave the Law Enforcement in the dark. :sigh:

pk58

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the information. I will see if another battery is coming and if so will try your instructions.
Thanking you

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the problem seems to be leaving it on the LE charger for a long time. But it was designed to do so, is necessary for the emergency light / power failure function to work, and I won't accept the workaround of "leave it on the charger for short periods". Product needs to work as advertised.

I'm currently testing my 3rd battery. 1st was the original that failed, 2nd was the replacement they sent me that also failed. When they said they'd send me another replacement (battery #3), I reminded them of my history with this and suggested they replace the charger, too. They assured me they had tested the chargers thoroughly and they were fine, it was the battery. Then they forgot to send me a replacement battery until I followed up a few weeks later...

Battery #3 is now going through the same test - verified it works, leave it on the charger untouched for a full month. If this one dies, too, I'm gonna insist they send me a complete replacement unit, charger / battery / light. I've been dealing with this for over half a year now and enough is enough.

wally0206

Newly Enlightened
seems like i have the same issues with my R50 Pro LE, battery now dead, is there a way to confirm if the charging station is the root cause, or is it just the bad batch of battery's 100% for sure?...just wanted to check before i buy a new battery.

Thanks

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
seems like i have the same issues with my R50 Pro LE, battery now dead, is there a way to confirm if the charging station is the root cause, or is it just the bad batch of battery's 100% for sure?...just wanted to check before i buy a new battery.

Thanks

Not 100% sure of what the root cause is. But, if you inform Olight they will send you a new battery.

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened

Thanks

I was about to reply with something like, "olight claims they're 100% certain it's the battery but I'm not sure I believe them" when I realized it was time to test my 3rd battery that'd been sitting on the charger for a month untouched.

Surprisingly, it's still working. Finally.

So yes, get them to send you a replacement battery.

Renegadethreads

Newly Enlightened
Glad to find this thread. I had the same battery failure, but dropped in an Efest and all was good. Would love to get a replacement that would let me use my LE kit again in my truck.

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
I just had a fourth battery die. After the third one died, instead of going through begging Olight for another replacement battery I just went ahead and purchased yet another one. Had it in the Pro LE charging dock for about a month, actually showed the light to someone a few days ago, worked fine, put it back in the dock, the green light was on all this time, went to use the light today and dead again. This battery that just died was the one that I most recently received, after Olight started claiming the battery was the issue and their new lots of batteries will work properly.

Last edited: