• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

R50 Pro/R50 Pro LE Discussion

HughJorgan

Newly Enlightened
If I were you I'd have them send you a replacement charger.

Though they're still blaming the battery, I remember a comment somewhere that they also modified the charger to help prevent this, no specifics.

If my 3rd battery had died, that's what I had planned to do.

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
Another week goes by without a response to my PM which you requested I PM you with when you said "PM me and I will get you squared away!" I PM'd you on December 14, same day you requested I PM you.

I PM'd you back on the 14th of Dec, the same day you requested that I PM you and you would get me squared away. So far, no response to PM.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another week goes by without a response to my PM which you requested I PM you with when you said "PM me and I will get you squared away!" I PM'd you on December 14, same day you requested I PM you.

Looks like you might just be better off contacting Olight directly. I had a battery failure a few months back and they responded quite quickly and sent me a new battery in no time.

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
While I was persistent in reporting lack of response to my PM, out of fairness now I want to report that I received a response from Olightworld representative via PM, was told I would receive a replacement R50 Pro Dock, and today I received the replacement R50 Pro Dock in the mail. I will put the R50 Pro in the dock and try to not use it for about 4 weeks and report back whether the battery is still working or has died at that time. So my personal opinion of Olight Customer Service has changed for the better dramatically. Time will tell what my opinion of their engineering department is when it becomes clearer whether they have fixed the battery dying in the dock for prolonged time or not. In the meantime, thank you Olightworld Representative....

PM sent. I apologize for the delay.

Olightworld

Enlightened
Thank you for the honest feedback. I am interested to see how things turn out after 4 weeks. Please keep us updated! As always, if there's anything else I can do just reach out to me on here or email me at [email protected]
Thanks!

ro.ma.

Enlightened
Unfortunately I have the same problem too. I have already thrown away three Olight batteries bought on Amazon. I think the problem is not the batteries but the charging dock. Now I have to decide to buy another battery.

Flash-O-Maniac

Newly Enlightened
It has been four weeks since I placed the R50 Pro in the R50 Pro Dock and left it there without using the light. I am pleased to report that the light works great, the battery works fine as opposed to previous battery failure problems. Jesse from Olightstore sent me a replacement R50 Pro Dock, and that seems to have solved the problem I was having. Thanks Jesse and thanks Olight.

Thank you for the honest feedback. I am interested to see how things turn out after 4 weeks. Please keep us updated! As always, if there's anything else I can do just reach out to me on here or email me at [email protected]
Thanks!

jamesEMT

Newly Enlightened
Just found and read through this thread. I have the R50 pro seeker LE installed in my truck for about 8 months now and never really had any issues. Used the light off and on about 2-3 times a week for my POC fire job. I haven't really used the light in the past few weeks and I went to use it 2 nights ago and it was dead coming off the charger. Had the same issues that were described by other people here. Called olight' s Georgia headquarters and they said they would ship me a new battery. Sounded like the same response everyone else got but they said they never heard of this problem and that I was the first to call. They said they think it might be an issue with the tailcap and are sending a replacement. I told them about the thread and the other issues people have had and they said no one has contacted them over any issues with the light. Sounds like there is no internal communication at this place. Once it shows up I'll throw the new battery and tail cap on and let it sit in my truck for 3-4 weeks and won't touch it. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Ps: I mentioned that I thought it was the charger that was faulty and they said there was no chance that was the issue and it might be the light itself. They also said that If the problem occurs again I need to send the light in for replacement along with the charging dock.

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
Just found and read through this thread. I have the R50 pro seeker LE installed in my truck for about 8 months now and never really had any issues. Used the light off and on about 2-3 times a week for my POC fire job. I haven't really used the light in the past few weeks and I went to use it 2 nights ago and it was dead coming off the charger. Had the same issues that were described by other people here. Called olight' s Georgia headquarters and they said they would ship me a new battery. Sounded like the same response everyone else got but they said they never heard of this problem and that I was the first to call. They said they think it might be an issue with the tailcap and are sending a replacement. I told them about the thread and the other issues people have had and they said no one has contacted them over any issues with the light. Sounds like there is no internal communication at this place. Once it shows up I'll throw the new battery and tail cap on and let it sit in my truck for 3-4 weeks and won't touch it. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Ps: I mentioned that I thought it was the charger that was faulty and they said there was no chance that was the issue and it might be the light itself. They also said that If the problem occurs again I need to send the light in for replacement along with the charging dock.

WEird how a battery can go dead from sitting 8months of no use, but i think u should go for a replacement also in case the new one would act up, i would say get a keeppower 5200mah protected. The light itself i think is fine as the build quality is good and i have a hard time unless the battery acted up what could go dead from sitting in a car for so many months...

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
...Ps: I mentioned that I thought it was the charger that was faulty and they said there was no chance that was the issue and it might be the light itself. They also said that If the problem occurs again I need to send the light in for replacement along with the charging dock.
They initially thought it was the battery and somehow they thought replacing the battery will solved it but apparently the same problem still occurs and they finally updated the charging dock circuit last year (2017) with additional protection feature. I'm fairly sure it was the charging dock. Note that this does not happen to the USB charging cable version (aka, the non LE version).

WEird how a battery can go dead from sitting 8months of no use, but i think u should go for a replacement also in case the new one would act up, i would say get a keeppower 5200mah protected. The light itself i think is fine as the build quality is good and i have a hard time unless the battery acted up what could go dead from sitting in a car for so many months...
Fyi, I previously tested a black labelled protected KeepPower 5200mAh and it does not fit inside R50 Pro, its length is too long, same as the Fenix 26650 protected cell. An IMR 26650 may fit tho...

jamesEMT

Newly Enlightened
Got the new battery and tail cap in on Friday. Shipping was pretty quick. Thought it would take longer. When I compared the new tailcap to the old there didn't appear to be any difference. The battery on the other hand had some changes. The contact points on the old one were silver in color and the new one is gold. When I was comparing the labels there was a small V2 on the new one (possibly version 2). Plugged it in and let it charge for a few minutes and everything worked fine. I'm going to set a reminder on my phone for one month from the 22nd and check it. I'm also not going to touch it until then. The charger in my truck is also hardwired in so when my truck is off it still is charging.

Last edited:

jamesEMT

Newly Enlightened
While it's been a month and no issue's. Been working great. On the up side Olight for some reason sent be another battery. So now I have a spare in the glove box.

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
While it's been a month and no issue's. Been working great. On the up side Olight for some reason sent be another battery. So now I have a spare in the glove box.

great to hear so it was a dead battery afterall only.

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
So if I buy a Pro Seeker LE edition now is it likely to just work? Is there anything in particular I need to check with the seller?

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
So if I buy a Pro Seeker LE edition now is it likely to just work? Is there anything in particular I need to check with the seller?

What you mean ? if you buy it a brand new light it should work, very rare chance the light would be doa it can happen but very unlike for an Olight light. best is to buy from olight to get full warranty etc in case something would be not working.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you mean ? if you buy it a brand new light it should work, very rare chance the light would be doa it can happen but very unlike for an Olight light. best is to buy from olight to get full warranty etc in case something would be not working.

Yes I would buy directly from Olight as well so you get the latest iteration of the model that hopefully has all the glitches fixed. I'm fairly confident they worked out all the bugs since people are having the initial problems with their chargers/ batteries.