RAC 2AA Krypton torch

Minimoog

Enlightened
I was in Halfords today and saw that they were selling the RAC Krypton torch for £1. Now not only was I (pleasantly) surprised to see an incandescent torch for sale, but for a pound! Well I purchased one http://www.racshop.co.uk/breakdown-...s/product/rac-krypton-rubber-torch-small.html and took it home. No batteries included of course, but with two alkalines loaded I was fairly pleasantly surprised: Decent faceted reflector, positive click switch, good quality rubber covering. Negatives were few, the bulb showed a shadow on the beam from the pre-focus wire (fixed by using a Ever Ready Xenon 2.4V, 0.83A I had) and then the beam was much better. A few artefacts, but no rings or holes. I would be confident to use it as there was no flimsy parts. I tried a 1.25A bulb, but that was too much the heat was more than I was comfortable with due to the plastic reflector. I will load it with a couple of Eneloops and keep it in the car.

Anyone else using this - or the 2D variant?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ heck yeah!!

I'd buy one.
Appears to be the kissing cousin to the $8 Craftsman sold in America.

The 2D looks pretty similar. I'd buy that one too 'cept for the likely $67.99 shipping to the US..

^^ the Craftsman

^^ the RAC

However the Craftsman is an LED.

^^ the easily swappable emitter.

I'd love to see the Craftsman available with a Krypton bulb. And I sure would like to know "who makes them" as if I could find a generic, or say pricey version I'd buy several.

I took apart the Craftsman and found it to be a pretty well built 'disposable' type of flashlight. Looking at the RAC I'd expect it to be of the same quality.
Should make a fine/dependable car light minimoog.

Edit:
Looks a place called granada batteries has 2D ones for £1 as well.

Last edited:

Minimoog

Enlightened
How about that - just the same. I know its only a basic torch, but when I saw the stand with the lights in and 'KRYPTON' written behind it made my day. A real refreshing change from the usual dreary LED offerings. I was in a momentary (pleasant) time warp back to 1993 and spent my £1 happily.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Agreed...cheap thrills...£1 ride in a time machine. Woohoo!!!
all the lights our way are LED now....dreary ole gray beam LED...regardless how cheap.

Who'da thunk it 5 years ago folks would be craving incan bulbs in their disposable lights.

I use the word disposable due to the mindset of the masses. But the basic inexpensive kind are just as valuable to this flashaholic as my so-called good lights.

Last edited:

Minimoog

Enlightened
How about a mini group buy? I can buy a few and dispatch to anyone who wants one for the price of postage. I get the feeling that once they are sold out there will be no more - the RAC are pushing the angry blue LED specials now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Eh, why not.
Maybe some folks over there will, like you scoop up some for the nostalgia.

I found some over here by 'acdc' but they want $6 and it doesn't come with a lanyard.

I'll just pick up another Craftsman and stick a krypton in it.

Funny how things change back to the old ways after a while...

5-8 years ago folks were saying those multi-led lights were garbage. Now they can't get enough of 'the triples' or 'the quads'...
Same goes for the incan lights.