radios

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok I guess this is the first real post here, but it has to start somewhere.

I have been using FRS radios but they are really limited in range. I really want something that will transmit a good 10 miles in most any terrain. I have 1 watt handheld CB, but again it dies out about 2 miles. I have used VHF handheld's on water with good range, but that is out on open water, and I don't think it's legal to use them on land.

Any suggestions?

Brock

DaveH

Enlightened
I believe marine radios are not to be used on land. Ten mile range would be a challenge for most any handheld, whether it CB, FRS, VHF or UHF without a "repeater" in the vicinity.

You can purchase 4 watt ( the legal rf power ) CB handhelds, that may help a bit.

You could consider Amateur radio, usually there is a repeater within range on the 2M (144 Mhz) band almost everywhere.

DaveH

Brock

Flashaholic
I guess I should ask what brand people tend to use in the FRS line. I have 4 of the Kenwood models. They have a little flip up antenna. I wonder how they all compare to each other. ie, do some actually transmit further.

Otherwise I think I might go the 4watt CB route, since we have a ok base station. Any suggestions on a hand held 4w model?

Brock

[This message has been edited by Brock (edited 08-11-2000).]

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 10 mile range, without a repeater, there's not much that can be done. You can try the amateur-radio route, and access club repeaters, or GMRS, which also has repeaters.

As for FRS, all of the "name" brands have similar performance. The Kenwoods are really good. I have a pair of Cobra Microtalk 2's which qwork really good (except for the AAA batteries)...

--dan

Brock

Flashaholic
So what is GMRS? I have seen this mentioned a lot but haven't seen any units that use it so I haven't figured it out.

Brock

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
GMRS=General Mobile Radio Service. It operates on the first 7 channels of the FRS radio band (462.---MHZ). I'm a bit hazy on the why's of GMRS, but i think it was set-up to provide good comms, but without the restrictions of a HAM license. GMRS still has a licensing process, but I don't think it has a test with it like a HAM license. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of GMRS units to choose from.

--dan

DaveH

Enlightened
No test, I think the licensing is around $35.

Maybe crazy idea, have you thought of cell phones? I guy I know went hunting on a tree stand and fell out of the tree. He was able to pull the cell phone out, and called for help while lying on his back in the middle of the woods.

DaveH

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
on the cell phone route, my brother just started using Nextel phnes at his work. They can be either a cell phone or a walkie-talkie. They use a similar pricing plan as cell phones, but the coverage isn't quite as extensive, yet.

--dan

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok how about the Motorola talkabout distance? I see they require a GMRS license, what does that entail? Are they compatible with FRS bands? They are on sale at Botach
http://www.botachtactical.com/mottaldisrad.html

Does anyone know if they come with an AC charger, and antenna. I am asking because the charging base isn't listed and the antenna is listed separately.

We use the standard Motorola units at work all the time and they are a lot better than the FRS ones. I am wondering if that is what the distance models are?

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I have a couple of Kenwood FRS and I find their range somewhat limited in the city with tall buildings. From what I read on WEB, the ICOM 4008a and the MOTOROLA T280, T289, and FR60 have better range. The only really nice thing about the Kenwoods is the voice scramble feature which the ICOM and MOTOROLA don't have, although MOTOROLA's T6000 series will have voice scramble. If I had to choose an FRS again, I would probably go with the T6000 FRS... I wonder, how do 4W CB radios perform indoors and outdoors?