RARE MAGLITES

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icarius,how efficient is the Flupic driver?

Bill
Hi Bill,

Well, the Flupic is a linear driver (max input voltage = 5.5V) so efficiency depends on the voltage difference between input and output. The higher the difference the more has to be burned off so the less efficient the driver will be. The more the input voltage drops towards the output voltage (Vf of the LED) the more efficient the driver becomes. In other words efficiency will improve as the input voltage drops.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another of my custom Maglites. Seoul P7 emitter, Flupic driver and tailcap switch. :whistle:

Very awesome!! I love seeing those custom Mags! I sometimes go back and look through some of the old Fivemega posts and drool over them. It's crazy how different things were in the flashlight world just 10 - 15 years ago.

I also thought I'd share a pic from another collector that I correspond with. He gave me permission to post it. It is of super rare Red, Gold, and Blue 7Ds. Like the 7D Vari-Beam that sold a few months back they are one off pieces that a Mag employee had done. Unfortunately for us Maglite only officially produced 7Ds in Black. All 3 are brand new and unused. The variations in early Maglites is amazing and I'm fully convinced there are still rare lights out there that we haven't seen yet.

5fh7iuX.jpg

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very awesome!! I love seeing those custom Mags! I sometimes go back and look through some of the old Fivemega posts and drool over them. It's crazy how different things were in the flashlight world just 10 - 15 years ago.

These were the heydays of CPF. Fivemega did some great things with Maglites. Not to mention the Ellies which were based on Maglites but had a 3" head and wider battery tube.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also thought I'd share a pic from another collector that I correspond with. He gave me permission to post it. It is of super rare Red, Gold, and Blue 7Ds. Like the 7D Vari-Beam that sold a few months back they are one off pieces that a Mag employee had done. Unfortunately for us Maglite only officially produced 7Ds in Black. All 3 are brand new and unused. The variations in early Maglites is amazing and I'm fully convinced there are still rare lights out there that we haven't seen yet.

5fh7iuX.jpg

:wow: They are soooo beautiful! :rock:Do they also have a serial number?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Given they are likely a hand done job... serial numbers would not match.

Also, is it the pic or has the red faded a lot?

borrower

Enlightened
... It is of super rare Red, Gold, and Blue 7Ds. Like the 7D Vari-Beam that sold a few months back they are one off pieces that a Mag employee had done. Unfortunately for us Maglite only officially produced 7Ds in Black. All 3 are brand new and unused. The variations in early Maglites is amazing and I'm fully convinced there are still rare lights out there that we haven't seen yet.

5fh7iuX.jpg

Those are the stuff of dreams!

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of me wants to post it a 5th time to see if CG will actually burst into flames……

Nah that would not be the CPF thing to do.

At least you could tilt it so that the floor looks straight. :)

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wow: They are soooo beautiful! :rock:Do they also have a serial number?

They do. The serial numbers are stamped before the lights are anodized. The Mag employee sent these bare lights off to be anodized with others (mostly 2Ds and 3Ds) so the owner tells me they are the same finish as the other Mag blue, red, and gold lights from the same generation.

I edited out some of the warmth in the original. Hope Lift'd doesn't mind.

Thanks!!! That looks more like I would expect them to!

Alright already with posting the picture. Four times is more than my OCD can handle with the lights not being parallel with the Oak flooring!!! :mecry:

:laughing: I thought I was the only one!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's one that will be like the Cabellas Maglite someday. Only available at Nine-Line Apparel, which is a foundation that assists wounded soldiers return to a normal life whether the scars are mental or physical.

94-B96817-D0-FD-42-E1-9-F7-B-24-A77-F5-C09-A6.jpg

The 3 cell ML300 LX.
The 2 cell ML50 are all gone and only a few ML300's remain.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, it's been a while so I thought I'd share a pretty neat Mini Maglite I recently ran across. It's a first year, 1984 model in excellent shape but with a few very rarely seen accessories.

uZSwdO7.jpg

As you can see it's much longer than a normal Mini Mag. It has a 1 cell extender turning the light into a 3AA. It also has a very heavy extended length weighted end cap. My guess is that it was installed so the light could be used in personal defense. The light does still function but is only marginally brighter than a 2AA. The knurling on the accessories does not match the knurling on the barrel so I am guessing these are aftermarket. If anyone has any idea as to who may have produced these or when I'd love to hear because I don't have any clue. They look professionally done based on the quality of the anodizing and machining.

hrCgMNt.jpg

I haven't seen a bulb before either like this. It has a red band around it and the pins are slightly bent to fit the light. Mag never produced a 3AA bulb as far as I know and a 2AA bulb will flash with 3 cells so I'm going to guess it is aftermarket as well. I may do a beam shot later on but it isn't too much brighter than a 2AA. Maybe we're spoiled by LEDs though because I can tell a small difference and back in the day it was likely a big upgrade!

ANLece7.jpg

The light is much longer and heavier than the newer 3AA LEDs. I took a pic for comparison purposes. When filled with batteries along with the weighted end cap I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of this.

6bDrMsQ.jpg

The light also came with a belt holster. It is from the original owner in the UK who bought it for "security work" but didn't use it all that much and preferred carrying a C cell light instead. He didn't recall any of the details of the accessories only that the whole light was purchased from a security supply store which I'm guessing is similar to a police supply store or gun store in the U.S. It's a very neat light and will go well with my collection. I always like these "professional lights" and I have a few others with weighted end caps as well. I'd love to do a writeup on it on my blog but I just don't have very much information. I'm hoping to be off around the holidays as I've been super busy with work this year so I'm hoping to post some of the other lights I haven't had shown yet.

oS8DRDM.jpg

Hope everyone is doing well!!

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice read. Be good if you could find a 3 cell bulb that would fit the 3AA mini mag.

Bill

Thanks!! I think the new bi-pin bulbs for the full size Mags would likely fit if the reflector was opened up a little. I don't plan to try it on this light but it would be a cool Incan Mini Mag mod with a Li-Ion cell. I would really like to know what bulbs were being used for these old 3AA and even 4AA Mini Mags but even if I did find out they're likely long out of production.

EDIT: Wow, 1,500 posts!!!