RARE MAGLITES

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Colors from left to right are Jade, Copper and Grey. The Grey we indeed also called Pewter but there is another color which was called Pewter by Maglite. They are very rare. I have two. One new in the box and one used but still in good condition. The Jade is also pretty hard to find. They exist in 2D, 3D and 4D.
Thanks. Do you know when those colors became officially available? I assume that copper one must have been a custom run for being as early as 1980.

Did the C cell ano colors come later after 2005, lights newer style switches with logo on button?

C-cell colors began in the '80s but I think it was around 1990 when they became more common. Any colored C-cells from the '80s are extremely rare. 1980s D-cell colors aren't common, but I believe red/blue/green/silver were normal catalog items.

Wasn't there a verabeam c?

Vari-Beams were made in all normal Mag sizes. I have NOS 7C and 6C models I'll have to get a photo of--those large sizes were uncommon for Vari-Beam.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOS 7C Varibeam? I'd retire from collecting if I had one of those!

A NOS 7D Vari-Beam sold on eBay a few years ago, even more rare than 7C. That was the most expensive Mag-Lite I've ever seen go. A little over two grand, I think.

That reminds me, anyone know if Vari-Beams had their own boxes across the entire product range, or just for the common sizes? My 6C and 7C came to me in standard Mag boxes, but this was a jumble of random factory leftovers so the boxes may have been swapped decades ago. I know the shorter ones had flashy blue Vari-Beam boxes.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far the most I've spent is $950 on a Lupine Betty. I don't think I could go over 1k it would just be foolishness on my part and I already have most everything I ever wanted. Right now prices are getting so crazy on older American lights that I couldn't afford to buy what I have next year.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted one for nearly a year before I purchased it and I love it. Had I knew it was as small as it was and could be made smaller I would have got one right away. Where I was staying back then would have got sketched out by a big metal light.

It lights up large areas with like 5400 lumens IIRC. It is very well made as only the Germans seem to know how to do and the battery can be swapped easily.

I recommend them but usually people want cheap Chinese crap lights and don't care about fit and finish so much.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
C-cell colors began in the '80s but I think it was around 1990 when they became more common. Any colored C-cells from the '80s are extremely rare. 1980s D-cell colors aren't common, but I believe red/blue/green/silver were normal catalog items.

My oldest colored C-size Maglite is a Silver 3C. According to Maglite manufactured on January 13, 1983.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Maglite 2C's Lime Green, Silver, Blue, Red and Gold as well as my 3C's Dark Green and Blue all have serial numbers without 'C' in front of their serial number.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure they could. But it would have to be a massive number of units before they even consider bothering to do so.

I remember reading here that M@glite will make any color you want but you have to order 10,000+ units.

Good to see you're still posting here my old friend. Nice to see AC/DC fanatic Toohotruk as well.

I'll be around more since I need to update my collection. I really want a LEP for no good reason.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I remember reading here that M@glite will make any color you want but you have to order 10,000+ units.

Good to see you're still posting here my old friend. Nice to see AC/DC fanatic Toohotruk as well.

I'll be around more since I need to update my collection. I really want a LEP for no good reason.
Good to see you back.
Ironically that's the same reason why I bought two LEPs. :grin2:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Colors from left to right are Jade, Copper and Grey. The Grey we indeed also called Pewter but there is another color which was called Pewter by Maglite. They are very rare. I have two. One new in the box and one used but still in good condition. The Jade is also pretty hard to find. They exist in 2D, 3D and 4D.

Found another grey-pewter Mag, this time a 4D from 1985. Also unusual is it has a matching lanyard ring tailcap. Otherwise all the markings are standard Mag. Any idea who was ordered lights like these? Looks a lot like Jason's Assault Systems light.

greymag.jpg

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why can't they offer this tailcap as a standalone accessory?

They did, but only for 1980s style models. My post on the last page has some catalog photos. When the old stock ran out in the 2010s that was it. Guessing they never sold enough to justify making ones for their newer lights.

Lanyard rings on C/D cell lights were always an uncommon option. Most of the old police brands offered them but very few were ever bought.