RARE MAGLITES

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, DZ is the problem here. When I google 'Maglite blue' I get the impression that DZ is between 11 and FD.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mailed Maglite regarding color code DZ and they told me this is also standard blue.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!!

I figured I'd post this one here too. I originally posted it to the Vintage Cop Light thread and I did a writeup on it there at: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mpany-thread&p=5192249&viewfull=1#post5192249

It's an ASP 21" Baton Attachment for a 5, 6, or 7C Maglite. It's shown here on my 1990 6C. It takes up 3 cells worth of length inside the light and there were only handful made around 1991 before ASP developed their own baton lights with Kevin Truax and later Don Keller.

6bjr5A1.jpg

7fp2zgp.jpg

With one of my 7Ds to show length.

g03HbLH.jpg

Last edited:

willrx

Enlightened
So cool!! Never seen that one before!! I was aware of the Surefire equivalent but not Maglite[emoji1373]

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!! Do you happen to have any info on the Surefire baton lights? I've heard of them and I know they're rare but I've never seen one in action. I'm guessing the switch end is threaded to accept a baton like the Tac-Lites and Nightstalkers.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally finished my 7D restoration I've been working on for the last 2 weeks. It's been just an hour or so every other day because I've been so busy for work but it was still a lot of fun. I was able to source a period correct switch. These switches had the post made out of a different plastic that is almost black vs. the tan of the newly manufactured ones. It uses an aluminum retaining ring instead of a plastic one and all of the innards are bare copper. The new switches have all nickel plated parts so they don't corrode and have better conductivity. Almost all of the 1979 and 1980 lights I work on have the bare copper switches and they all around 15 or so ohms before I clean them up provided they're working. The nickel plated newer style switches are usually only 1 to 3 ohms.

lGZLNgX.jpg

The reflector is a newer style replacement and the end cap is a newer lanyard ring but other than that I was able to put this light back to the way it came in 1979. I even had a NOS large button for it. As can be seen in older posts the 1979 buttons are larger and more bulbous. The focus grip on the head is also about a 1/4" lower than where it is on the newer lights, the serials are very low, and they are stamped "Paten Pending". I have a handful of these and they are pretty neat old lights. Here she is all finished up and lit:

N3sAqcY.jpg

LWjzvor.jpg

oYKOCoZ.jpg

ixLub3L.jpg

This one was a real bear and I probably wouldn't have restored it if it wasn't a request from my blog and didn't have a great story behind it. The battery corrosion was terrible and not only did it foul up the barrel but most of the internal treads as well. The newer style replacement switch with the plastic ring was pretty well jammed into the light to try to make it work and the screw that contacts the body to complete the circuit corroded quite a bit. For this I soaked it in lemon juice and vinegar but the alkaline must have been in the lights for decades because nothing broke it loose. I don't make any money on these lights aside from the cost of the parts and shipping. While I'm happy to do them sometimes I get more requests than I can handle so I try to limit myself to easier ones or ones with a good story.

I used a new method for this light. I purchased 1.5" diameter stainless steel tube/bore brushes. I clipped off the loop end and attached it to my power drill. I went in from both ends and kept the light nice and wet so I didn't have any of the nasty alkaline dust all over the place. The bore and threads cleaned up as clean as a whistle. I was very happy and ti made light work of the light. I'll definitely be using this method again to restore lights with heavier than normal corrosion. Here's a couple pics of my setup.

WKcrSWz.jpg

ievGmMy.jpg

And, here's something I don't get to see every day. It's 4 - 7D Maglites. I've never seen this many on one place all at the same time. 2 are mine and 2 are restorations that I finished for folks who contacted me from my blog. I included a 1st Gen Mini Mag for scale. These really are giant lights!

6AGjiys.jpg

KaG4Zqp.jpg

S6NRO0Y.jpg

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys!! Lots of fun!!

:goodjob: ... and very low serial numbers! :thumbsup:

I think it kind of shows how slow sellers the 7Ds really were. The highest serials are around 19,000 and they are from 1982. All other models sold that many in the first 6 months to a year of production.

Icarus, I hear you have some pretty rare 2Cs that haven't been posted yet. Would love to see some pics!!

willrx

Enlightened
Thanks!! Do you happen to have any info on the Surefire baton lights? I've heard of them and I know they're rare but I've never seen one in action. I'm guessing the switch end is threaded to accept a baton like the Tac-Lites and Nightstalkers.

7C, 7D, Surefire 6BL ASP Baton Light
7ef873af9066dfd85077bd14bd9d6dfd.jpg

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, very very nice!! It looks like the Surefire has the shockproof bezel? I think that's a great idea and it makes sense because when closing these ASP batons a ton of force and impact is required. I blew out a bulb on my 6C trying to do it gently. I can see the logic behind trying to combine a light and a baton but in practice it seems difficult especially with an Incan. LEDs certainly would help a lot but I don't see anyone producing anything like this now.

Where did you find such clean a clean 7C and 7D? I'm guessing NOS form a dealer that closed? That would be one heck of a find!

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!! Very cool. I don't think I've ever seen that many Lime Green lights together all in one place. Did you pick them up from a store that had them NOS? Must be a great story behind them.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!! Very cool. I don't think I've ever seen that many Lime Green lights together all in one place.

...and that's even without the light on the way to you and the one in my collection... :)

Did you pick them up from a store that had them NOS? Must be a great story behind them.

Not a great story behind them. Look when I signed up at CPF and I was a big fan from Maglite long before I became a member here. My first Maglite was a black 4D. Many followed. Lime Green is by far my favorite color so I bought several. I also like C-size more than D-size. I will take more pictures when the weather gets better. This is one great thread and your blog is magnificent! :twothumbs

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a lot of well loved Mags recently and I got a few rare C cells in the bunch. They aren't in the best shape, they aren't super rare, they aren't worth a ton of dough, but they do work and the price was right!

3vt6P6l.jpg

tSSAlO0.jpg

Colors on C cells are rare as the C cells were very slow sellers and Mag just didn't market them like the D cells. I've never been able to put together a complete listing of the colors produced and I'm not even sure there were an, aside from Vari-Beams, before 1988. The blue 3C above is a very cool light. It's a 1990 or 1991 "Transitional" model. It has the laser etched bezel that was only done for these 2 years before the Panther logos came out in 1992. It is serial ~812,000. This is pretty interesting because 3Ds form the same year were around 3,000,000 but 5 and 6Ds were around the same production as the 3Cs. Kind of shows how they sold compared to the other lights. They probably made a red 3C for a little while also because the blue finish is identical to the blue D finish and the Ds were also available in red and silver.

The green is the lime green version as Icarus showed above, although mines been used just a tad more. This was a special order color and I believe they were done for Home Depot since they sold so many lights. All of these seem to be from the late 90s and early 2000s. Any lime green models are tough to find now. They also did them in a 2D and 3D. I haven't heard of any other Lime Green sizes being produced though.

The purple was a standard finish and they do come up occasionally. 3D and 2D purple lights are still in production but I believe the 2Cs were discontinued a few years back. The C cells are only made in black now.

I've also seen 2C standard green and 2C silver but I don't own either. I have a 1988 gold 2C that's very rare as Maglite only put out a handful.Other than that I don't know of an other C cell finishes.

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was 't aware of a Standard green 2C as I've never seen one (is 'Standard Green' the same as 'Dark Green'?) but I do have a Dark Green 3C. I think the Blue 3C is pretty rare and definitely hard to find new. It is also the first time I see a non-letter Purple 2C.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know,

2C has been available in Black, Grey, Silver, Purple, Bluish Purple, Lime Green (like said never saw a 'Standard Green').
3C has been available in Black, Silver, Blue, Dark Green.