RARE MAGLITES

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it was a standard (dark) green 3C I saw. I kind of assumed since 2Cs were more popular sellers that any finish in a 3C was also done in a 2C but I don't have any proof of that.

I have an insert that was used from 1982 to 1986 and it calls out a 2C, 3C, and 4C as being available in blue. I've never seen any blue C cells this old though. Interestingly enough it doesn't have C cells available in silver or red. Of course these are very early lights and I know later on they were available in at least silver but I've never seen red. Since red was a standard color I would have thought they would have done one in red.

wFyB6Pd.jpg

Here's my gold 2C from 1989 too along with a couple other 1980s gold lights!

KaKYzAm.jpg

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, that's Torchesarecool from CPF! I purchased his 7C and gold over brass Mini Mag but Guitar Guy now owns it.

He had a bunch of custom anodized lights. I think they're all sold now. The blue 2C is one of them. It's actually pretty easy to anodize lights at home and there are many tutorials online. The custom anodized Mags are easy to pick out because when stripping the factory anodizing they lose their laser etchings. When re-anodized the bezels appear plain with no laser etching.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_20180324_164519.jpg

The 3 shades of blue I have seen or heard of for C lights.
The Ford one apparently was available in that color (minus the Ford stuff) at one point. In FS listings at eBay it was called light blue.
To the left is the regular production shade of blue used on minimags, C, D, and so on.

I have seen a "dark" blue in D cell listings. But haven't seen any listed in C size. It is about the shade of the top area of Level 1 badges here at CPF.

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Love those older gold ones, Liftd.

Here is a pre letter 2C in blue. It is what I'd consider to be the "standard" blue that I normally see on D cell Mags.

The second photo shows 3 distinctly different blues, although my camera doesn't quite capture the true differences. In actuality, the 4D looks darker and has a slight purple tint, and the light blue 2D on the bottom appears lighter than the pic shows – similar to a Vari-Beam, but not identical. It seems that Liftd called the light one "ice blue" on his blog, but he'll have to confirm that, as I don't recall for sure.

It seems to me that my Vari-Beam has an "aqua" tint compared to the others. Do you guys know if the Vari has its own distinct shade of blue?

1z8POri.jpg
[/IMG]

1ppWLA6.jpg
[/IMG]

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love those older gold ones, Liftd.

Here is a pre letter 2C in blue. It is what I'd consider to be the "standard" blue that I normally see on D cell Mags.

The second photo shows 3 distinctly different blues, although my camera doesn't quite capture the true differences. In actuality, the 4D looks darker and has a slight purple tint, and the light blue 2D on the bottom appears lighter than the pic shows – similar to a Vari-Beam, but not identical. It seems that Liftd called the light one "ice blue" on his blog, but he'll have to confirm that, as I don't recall for sure.

It seems to me that my Vari-Beam has an "aqua" tint compared to the others. Do you guys know if the Vari has its own distinct shade of blue?

1z8POri.jpg
[/IMG]

1ppWLA6.jpg
[/IMG]

Love that Blue 2C! :clap: Color of the 2D looks similar to my Ice Blue 2AA.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice Guitar Guy! Don't see too many of those around. The 2D sure does look like ice blue to me.

I'm not sure if this pic will help because it didn't come out so well but I do see 3 distinct blues on the newer, Panther, style lights. I believe they are from left to right: Ice Blue, Standard Blue, and Midnight (Dark) Blue. There's also a Vari-Beam on the left that matches the Ice Blue for reference. I thought the Midnight (Dark) Blue was a special order color but I see it so often I think it may be a Maglite standard color that replaced Standard Blue.

yAzL24I.jpg

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Thanks guys. Yes, the blue 2C is one of my favorites.

I'm working on getting a grey 2C. The seller said it was silver, but it looks grey in the pic. Should know in a couple of days. Need a green one next.:D

Liftd, those shades seem to look consistent with what I've seen. My Vari looks a little different than the ice blue to me, but as byk said, fading does happen. My older red 3D has faded considerably.

Git

sizzlechest

Enlightened
Here's a couple of my Maserati lights too!

8t6iZx0.jpg

It's one thing to slap a logo onto a maglite but those ferrari lights with the custom bezel ring only seen on the Americana set are = FANTASTIC! What color is that maserati light gold? Awesome find!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's one thing to slap a logo onto a maglite but those ferrari lights with the custom bezel ring only seen on the Americana set are = FANTASTIC! What color is that maserati light gold? Awesome find!

Hey, thanks!! You have quite the collection yourself! I have been on the lookout for a long long time for a Zimmerman Bronze Mini Mag! I got these from an ex-Mag employee that let go a stockpile of old, custom lights. I got a bunch of Mini Mags, some I haven't even taken out yet but these looked the best.

The Maserati light is actually light a hard anodized gun metal. It's basically a deeper shade of the grey Ferrari light but with a standard logo'd bezel. I'm not such a good picture taker.

While CPF was down I did acquire some new, rare Mags. I recently picked up a gold anodized 2D to fill out my gold collection. As far as I know these were the only full size gold anodized lights made, a 3D, 2D and 2C aside from a one-off test color gold 4D. The 2C and 3D are from 1989 but the new 2D I got is from 1984 as it has the TM bezel and a lower serial. From what I hear is Mag put out a couple batches here and there and sold them but they were not a standard production color.

eFhWMsJ.jpg

GVPMreE.jpg

Mag still puts these out from time to time. Here is a pic of some special gold anodized lights given away as swag for the latest Oscars. Unfortunately my invite was lost in the mail so I didn't receive one. I can't tell from the pic if they are incandescent or LED. I'm going to guess they are LED though.

beE0tmh.jpg

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen much action here lately so let's kick it up a notch!

I recently acquired 2 Y2K 3D Maglites. These were produced in 1999 and I believe there was some kind of marketing done with these for the supposed power outages and mass destruction brought about by the Y2K crisis but I haven't been able to find any ads or anything like that. They have no knurling and they have a screen printed globe with the year 2000 on one side and Mag 2000 on the other.

KcBdHfZ.jpg

These 2 lights are brand new, never used. They are only 3 serial numbers apart and are as close to sequential as I've ever seen. There was also an AA Mini Maglite version done too but I unfortunately don't have one.

wJ57rsC.jpg

For those interested I did a full write up on my blog at: http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2018/04/1999-y2k-maglites.html

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!! Do you know of any other full size non-knurled Mags? I think some of the full size NASCAR ones were smooth as well.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Ran onto a 7D Maglite that is in pretty decent condition. It has a 9K serial number and the "paten pending" stamp.

It came from the original owner in CA who had used it for camping and fishing trips. It's starting to fade to the slight blue/purple tint that some of them get, although my camera doesn't really pick it up.

Rmdi1dH.jpg
[/IMG]

DmuPEzs.jpg
[/IMG]

FY833nW.jpg
[/IMG]

Pre letter 2 through 7 D cell Maglites.
STTf5GV.jpg
[/IMG]