Rayovac rechagable at walmart

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yup. I don't why they still make lights like that, having to click through low is bad enough, but strobe too? Why even have strobe?

I also don't see why they advertise it as a 18650 light when tyou can't remove the battery?
I have a Coast HP7R that can be charged outside the light or the 'cartridge' can be. It also has a 3aaa battery carrier. They call it a rechargeable light but when you peak inside the 'cartridge' you see an 18650 with a Coast logo.

Coast chose not to call it an 18650 light. I understand why Rayovac did though. Marketing. Studies probably showed 18650 was the better choice for their "market", which is largely made up of folks still using lights powered by alkaline batteries. So the word "rechargeable" may not excite that sector as much as "18650".

I would wonder since it probably has a rotating mechanical switch, would it not suffer from parasitic drain? I doubt I'll be buying one knowing it has to be cycled just to shut it off but I'll figure on seeing them next year on construction sites instead of "atomic" lights and celphone lights.

Reactions: xxo

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Coast HP7R that can be charged outside the light or the 'cartridge' can be. It also has a 3aaa battery carrier. They call it a rechargeable light but when you peak inside the 'cartridge' you see an 18650 with a Coast logo.

Coast chose not to call it an 18650 light. I understand why Rayovac did though. Marketing. Studies probably showed 18650 was the better choice for their "market", which is largely made up of folks still using lights powered by alkaline batteries. So the word "rechargeable" may not excite that sector as much as "18650".
That makes sense, but I wonder how many people know what an 18650 is? And wouldn't those who do be a bit miffed when they find out that they can't actually use 18650's in their new "18650" light?

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
do you have to click through strobe to turn it off?
A ozark trail 700lm zoomie I bought my brother in law had a bunch of unnessary features to click through before turning it off before discovering that all he had to do was press and hold the switch thus bypassing the rest. Maybe this light has the same shortcut.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I cant be sure I tried that. I'm not sure its a mechanical switch either. Its certainly illuminated as a charge indicator and when turned on. But I don't remember if it goes red when the battery is low. It is currently misplaced as well. Not sure how I did that so fast... But I'll test these things out when I find it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'll probably pass on this one. It's getting easier and easier to walk past flashlights sold at the sprawl mart anymore.
I can agree with this as seems prices and quality and selection has gone negative with more expensive (overpriced) brand names and cheaper crummier stuff with fewer mid range quality bargains.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this at Walmart, and I passed on it also. Considering its power source, I thought it would have at least put out 700 lumens. I ended up getting an Ozark Trail 750 lumen rechargeable light. The only thing I do not like about it, is like the Rayovac, the battery is not easily replaced. In the case of the Rayovac, the battery would cost more than the light!

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Found it. The switch is only illuminated during charging. There is no shorcut to off. Must click through all modes.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
As a rule I don't dig on usb plug in flashlights. Plus I want the option of swapping in a charged cell or primary(s) while the battery charges.

And definitely not one that cycles through all settings to shut it off. (Dana Carvey does George H Bush voice) Nope, not gonna do it.

I like Rayovac as a whole but this one…… not their finest effort in my view. Wonder why they went with the switch they chose.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good point. At $10 each it's an uncomplicated way to ensure the giftee has a trouble-free light source.
I used to give away Maglite solitaires with an ultimate lithium battery taped to the package. Then the giftee would use some "fing-shway" leaker and say "can you fix my light?"

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I agree this looks like a contender for gifting people to discourage use of alkaleaks as few people who aren't flashaholics would invest in quality nimh cells and decent chargers to power their AA/AAA devices but I think a lot of people are used to charging their phone on a regular basis and likely would recharge this light thus both saving them money on batteries and also perhaps encouraging them to consider higher quality performance lights on the market.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights with in-built batts will just end up as landfill anyway (then again wont everything eventually?) so I dont buy them no matter the price, same with proprietary cells. Best for the average person is a light that runs on AAs. In my experience people wont use anything but alkalines anyway & li-ions wont hold a charge after a few years (& they prob. wont replace the cell) so why make things complicated? Ive just gotten a family member a Fenix E20 V2 which is a great, simple light & they'll actually know how to use and run it.

I wont deny that olight with its simple magnetic charging works great for the average joe but they use proprietary cells so I dont buy them. Expensive throw away lights.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Lights with in-built batts will just end up as landfill anyway (then again wont everything eventually?) so I dont buy them no matter the price, same with proprietary cells. Best for the average person is a light that runs on AAs. In my experience people wont use anything but alkalines anyway & li-ions wont hold a charge after a few years (& they prob. wont replace the cell) so why make things complicated? Ive just gotten a family member a Fenix E20 V2 which is a great, simple light & they'll actually know how to use and run it.

I wont deny that olight with its simple magnetic charging works great for the average joe but they use proprietary cells so I dont buy them. Expensive throw away lights.
Good friends don't encourage the use of alkaleaks as they can make expensive lights..... disposable.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
At $10 each it's an uncomplicated way to ensure the giftee has a trouble-free light source.
Maybe, but if you guys are lookin' at the same light I am....
I don't often even look at reviews, but since there were only 2, I did this time:

"Terrible Flashlight- Don't Buy!
I wish there was a 0 star! Worse flashlight ever!! I bought it about 2 weeks ago and the charging port no longer works. It's very bright but I can no longer use it".

About the only thing I'd trust for $10 USD in 2021 is a Bic lighter.

I get your point about the USB charging (which I personally happily use some of), but not for $10.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I was near a Walmart tonight, and decided to stop in and get this light.
I'll most likely be a keep in the car light that can be given away, or not.
It's head measures 31.5 mm and the tail end about 24 mm.
I think it will fit nicely with the Fenix AOT-M sized traffic wand.
I'm going to order one, and try it out. It may end up sitting next to my other Rayovac indestructible, in a traffic wand holder.

1640232677042.png

Poppy

Flashaholic
Last night I did some white fence hunting, and at 150 feet, it did a great job, and still good at 200 feet. It was too cold outside to fool around and turn off the out-door lights to take good beam shots, so ... no pictures.

I'd say that it is a good "Keep in the car" light. And with the in light charging, it'll be easy to top it off now and then.