razor blade or electric shaver?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Gillette Razors.

Been using a Gillette Mach 3 for the past 12 years now.

It's Excellent ! ! !

:twothumbs
_

DeadButAlive

Newly Enlightened
Blades all the way. I tried the electric shavers for a while (my dad used a Norelco for as long as I can remember) but it seemed to take forever to get a mediocre shave. No electric I tried, neither rotary nor reciprocating, would get into the jawline and neck hollows - they all left me with 5 o'clock shadow at 7:00 AM. I switched to blades and never looked back - first with the 2-blades and then the 3-blades, haven't needed anymore blades than that. I usually shave in the shower using just soap, but I'll use shaving cream if I showered the night before. Nothing matches the close shave I get from blades. I haven't tried the straight razor yet, but also being a knife knut I'm sure I'll get to that eventually. :whistle:

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Is there a good web store for this stuff in Norway?

The only Norsk site that comes to mind is:
http://www.mamut.net/ttt_fitjarsaapekokeri/

The English version is:
http://www.mamut.net/ttt_fitjarsaapekokeri/subdet48.htm

And I might add that those on this side of the pond who have tried Fitjars soaps/creams are very happy with them.

Two excellent shaving related forums:

www.shavemyface.com

www.straightrazorplace.com

I personally will leave B&B for the young'uns, not my cup of tea, but I'm an old fart with a good memory..........

My preference is for a well honed straight razor, a vintage Schick Injector (if you can find decent blades) or a good DE aka double edge bladed razor. The latter can still be had new, ditto for straight razors and there is a plethora of fine traditional shaving creams, soaps and badger hair brushes......

One of the original online retail sites that carries a lot of information on how to use this stuff is Classicshaving.com and you can go to the "How to and why" link. One of the main reasons so many of us moved on to cartridge razors and electrics was simply that our fathers never knew how to use the dang things, and could never teach us how to do it properly. Once mastered, a DE or straight is capable of giving you the most comfortable and close shave imaginable, but ONLY if you are willing to learn and are capable of using your hands for delicate work. It's not hard to learn for most people, but if you are of the 10 thumbs type or you just want to get the damn ordeal over with.... well, you'll probably be happier with something else and you don't care how much it costs.

I should point out that there are many fine retailers on the internet (who get my business over Classic Shaving due to my living in Canada) and the forums mentioned above will have links to those and there will be many ratings of such retailers in the forums, just like we do here when it comes to flashlights.

I can tell you all that there is nothing I look more forward to, than a great shave, but only after I learned how to do it properly.

Regards

Christian aka

Kaptain "48 vintage straight razors, 8 badger hair brushes, 6 DE razors and about 60 creams and soaps, never mind enough DE blades to last me the next 30 years....." Zero

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Tried electrics years ago and never really liked them. Besides not giving a close shave they tended to cause me to get ingrown hairs. Now it's very minimalist, a shaving mirror in the shower and dollar store disposable razors.

Geoff

arek98

Enlightened
I used a razor for long time and I agree that it gives a closest shave but few years ago I switched to electric and I don't look back. Close shave means more hairs can grow under skin, also how close you need to be shaved?
Remember that you can try electric shaver and if you don't like it you can return it. I did that with Norelco (Philips). Skin needs to adjust. First 2 weeks or so it will be irritated but then it should be fine, if not then it is not for you. With Norelco (I think it maybe standard) you have 30 days for return to manufacturer and full refund. I ended with Panasonic. Seems like linear is better for me than rotary. Also it is waterproof and may be used dry or wet (with gel, under shower). Works well for me.
I think electric shavers that need some cleaning base (like some Brauns) are not even worth a try. Whole point of getting electric shaver is less hassle, not extra maintenance procedures.
Basically, you need to try one and see if it works for you. Remember you need at least few days before you can tell how it works. First few shaves will be a struggle for sure.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I use generic 3 bladed razors from the stores, not the cheapest ones but the step up from the cheapest and they work for me almost as good as the way overpriced name brand razors for half the cost. I use an electric shaver to touch up what I missed. I find myself burning my face with an electric shaver, that is cutting too close and then my skins smarts. I hate shaving because I cannot even grow a mustache or beard worth looking at it just ends up being something I have to do or look scruffy instead.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
I find myself burning my face with an electric shaver, that is cutting too close and then my skins smarts.

If you were to see what is actually happening when you shave with an electric razor, you would see that your beard is actually being crushed, rather than cut..... it's quite alarming. Unfortunately, I have lost my links to the macro photos of what happens, or I would have posted them here.

A properly sharpened single blade, used at the right angle against a beard, which has been properly softened ( a hot shower is a great prep as long as you move onto the shave before letting your beard dry out) and coated with a nice *wet* coat of shaving soap or cream, simply wipes your beard away. The multi bladed modern razors use "hysteresis" to shave closer.... it often results in ingrown hairs etc. A single blade lops the hair off at the surface, a second or third, well lubricated pass will finish the job without cutting the hair off way below the skin surface.

If you are still wondering.... check out the above mentioned forums..... but remember, wet shaving means WET, not dry foam out of a can on dry skin..... Many of those canned foam products contain desensitizing ingredients in an attempt to dull the pain from bad preparation....

Regards

Kaptain "Slippery when wet" Zero

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I hate shaving because I cannot even grow a mustache or beard worth looking at it just ends up being something I have to do or look scruffy instead.
Same problem here, although truthfully a beard or mustache wouldn't suit me anyway even if I could grow one worth looking at. For all those reasons, I'm seriously considering permanent laser hair removal once I can afford it. The few thousand it costs will save me about 10-15 minutes a day. Culmulatively over my lifetime that's a bargain. It also removes one more mindless task from my daily routine.

Until I do the laser thing, it's an electric razor for me. I always ended up with bumps on my skin with a blade after shaving a few days in a row. Not a problem with an electric. I can shave 365 days a year with no problem. As for closeness, if the blades are in good shape it's nearly as close as a blade. As was said already, how close do you need to shave anyway? An hour or two later the closest blade shave will probably look like my normal electric shave. By the end of the day the difference won't be noticeable.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Every shaver I've ever tried did a good job of massaging my face . . . And that's really all they did. :thumbsdow

Tally-ho

Banned
If you are still wondering.... check out the above mentioned forums..... but remember, wet shaving means WET, not dry foam out of a can on dry skin.
+1...wet shaving is the best.
Before using double-edge razors and straight razors, shaving was something i did without any pleasure. A duty (corvee ?).
Time is needed to learn how to use a straight razor but the result is uncomparable to an electric shaver. Double-edge is easy to use and if you make two passes the results will be greater than with any electric shaver.
Sometimes i shaved myself in the late evening and the next day morning i'm still better shaved than if i shaved with an electric shaver 5 minutes ago.

mewacschlieper.jpg

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for all the feedback! I for one, dont care for a close shave, i wouldnt really shave if it werent for work. LOL. and i kind of like the 5 o'clock shadow look:naughty:
ive been using razor blades, and usually shave after a hot shower, no cream, just water. and, lately at times, i get a bunch of razor bumps.
i will definitely check out the norelco, braun, and wahl electric shavers.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I really used to hate shaving until I got a Norelco shaver for Christmas, now I don't mind it at all. It shaves just about as close as a blade and I can do it while sitting at my computer or reading a book. I can also trim my sideburns and shave the back of my neck with no problem. Have to say it's a shaver for me.

Tally-ho

Banned
I for one, dont care for a close shave, i wouldnt really shave if it werent for work. LOL.

The important point is that with something like m*chIII or electric shaver, people usually consider shaving like something they have to do, with wet shaving it is something they like to do, no matter how many times per week. The close shave is a bonus.

Why do you think there is so much wet shaving forums ?
Yes, It could be as addictive as...well, you probably already know what.

The good point is that with an electric shaver, it is so off-putting that you will stay away from another addiction. :devil:

Last edited:

CaseyS

Newly Enlightened
I've used the latest greatest from Gillette pretty much all my life, but the discussions here have piqued my interest in a quality DE. Nothing would make my wife happier than me switching away from the pricey Fusion cartridges. Looks like even the highest rated DE blades are way cheaper.

Is shaving with a DE really that different from a Fusion? I can believe that learning to shave with a straight razor would involve a learning curve, but what's the challenge with a DE?

Tally-ho

Banned
Is shaving with a DE really that different from a Fusion
Not that much if you still continue using canned foam. As Kaptain_zero already said, and i agree with him, it is far better to use a shaving soap and badger.

I can believe that learning to shave with a straight razor would involve a learning curve, but what's the challenge with a DE?
A DE is far more intuitive than a straight razor. In a few shaves you will find the appropriate angle.
Take a look at the forums mentionned in the 1st page. You will find tones of advices and helpfull people.
One of my prefered DE is a Gillette adjustable safety razor (with Feather blades), it could be find "used" or "mint" quite easily on ebay as it is discontinued.

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
....and I can do it while sitting at my computer...
That´s what I do every morning :wave:

I like the results of a razor blader better but at 6 in the morning it would lead to a bloodbath if I´d use a blade. I´m just too tired and groogy. During weekend or vacation, when I don´t necessarily have to shave after I got out of bed, I use a razor blade. Btw., I really hate shaving, no matter how, but going unshaved is somwthing I hate even more :sigh:

Eric

Dinsdale

Newly Enlightened
A good source of shaving info is mantic59 on YouTube.

I use a 1958 Gillette 1-9 Adjustable every day and I get an awesome shave each time. Be sure to experiment with as wide a variety of blades as possible.

With any luck, your favourites will be locally available or me, I got 1,000 Derby blades at 12c each delivered to my door. I use one per week. :sssh:

Yes, a brush and shaving soap (or cream) lather is the way to go for the best shave. And it doesn't clog up the razor.

Oh and Merkur makes very nice DE razors if you are looking for a new one.

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
I have tried both Currently using an old Schick 2-blade system and trying to eek out their lifespans. Eventually they will stop making those and I will have to find something else. Given the high costs of many of the current multi-blade units I may go electric again. Good topic.