Recommend an EDC/patrol streamlight?

mickb

Enlightened
Hi I'd like to give one of these a try. Their site is extensive and I am trying to my head around the different models and compatibility with 18650.
Basically if I was thinking

1. 18650 compatible
2. Hi/low function( 275 to 750 lumens as high, and at least 30 lumens low)
3. EDC carry or up to 6" at the most.
4. Duty worthy durability
What would suit these parametres?

Also two other questions
1.Are streamlights potted electronics?
2.Are there different levels of streamlight model quality?

Thanks for any suggestions!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hi I'd like to give one of these a try. Their site is extensive and I am trying to my head around the different models and compatibility with 18650.
Basically if I was thinking

1. 18650 compatible
2. Hi/low function( 275 to 750 lumens as high, and at least 30 lumens low)
3. EDC carry or up to 6" at the most.
4. Duty worthy durability
What would suit these parametres?

Also two other questions
1.Are streamlights potted electronics?
2.Are there different levels of streamlight model quality?

Thanks for any suggestions!

A Malkoff would suit that better.

Streamlight makes good products, but their body size is either sized for primary batteries or their own (depending on model).
Mr. Malkoffs stuff comes sized for an 18650 diameter cell and has lights that put out the amount of light you seek.

I own a Stinger and some Strions and love them. But my Malkoffs are more versatile for future upgrades.

You might also check into Powertac 'Warrior' lights.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Malkoff would certainly suit your needs.
An MD2 with an M61 would give 300 odd lumens on high with a very useful low if you fit a Hi/Lo ring. Also you get to choose tints. For more power a 18650 Hound Dog will give you 900 or so on high and about 75 on low I think, but the head maybe too big for your pocket. In which case consider an MD3 body with an MD61 SHO and hi/lo ring. This will give you 400 lumens on high.
I always find that compared to other lights, Malkoff Lumens seem brighter than he specifies. It may just be the beam quality on the Malkoffs, as I've seen nothing as clean and sharp in a light.
P

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ he uses 'jen-you-ine' out the front numbers instead of at the emitter like many companies.
And knowing all the nay sayers exist he keeps numbers like lumens and run times conservative...

Note when searching Malkoff Devices every review is a 5 star...The real deal...not throw away the 3's n 4's...
You don't see "well they say 1.2 hours but I only got 1.1"...he says "1.2 regulated with a nice gentle approx 3-4 hour taper"... Or "blinding at approx a 50' radius" in Malkoff speak means "mininum 50' radius"...

I like my Streamlights, but I trust my families life to Malkoffs.

Last edited:

Hunters21w

Newly Enlightened
Can you post a link or recommend specific Malkoff parts that you believe may be better suitable than say a Streamlight Stinger for example? I am also looking for a similar light as the OP for patrol purposes.

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks guys I am in the process of getting a malkoff, but was still looking for cheaper duty light on same battery. I do international work, some countries aren't worth taking nice gear into with the sloppy airports/theft.

Streamlight- didn't realise they werent an 18650 light, thanks for that heads up.

Any other plain jane duty brands out there?Or is the next step a chinese light at this price point? I worry about their durability.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Can you post a link or recommend specific Malkoff parts that you believe may be better suitable than say a Streamlight Stinger for example? I am also looking for a similar light as the OP for patrol purposes.

Go to Malkoff Devices, click on products then choose hand held flashlights.

If you are looking for a light similar in size to the Stinger, the Hound Dog is a great choice...it may not be long enough for holding under your arm pit and writing a ticket though..the MD4 body is better for that as the '4' means 4 cells (123 size) in length. But the balance will resemble the Stinger.

Look around the site. If you have any questions email Mr. Malkoff. I sent him an email once..at supper time and he answered me like 45 seconds later...

Very helpful person who runs a company for providing lights to soldiers, rescue workers, law officers and flashaholics....at great prices.

If he doesn't get back to you in a little while it's either because he's building more great stuff, eating one of his chickens his wife fried, or somewhere at a meeting giving away a flashlight to a local leo who won the latest raffle...or something cool like that.

Last edited:

Hunters21w

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the response. I will be sure to send him an email as all of the "stock" lights seem a bit small.

TheVat26

Enlightened
There is no doubt an MD2 M61 high/low is one of the most if not the most durable light around. But I've found the M61 doesn't have quite enough punch for duty use. M61 you're looking at around 25-30 yards of good floody light, but not much more than that. Indoor room clearing, M61 all the way. But outside... It's lights up quite well, but it's kinda like turning on the light in a room. You get illumination, but won't squint the target's eyes too much. It's does just as it's designed, to be a close to medium spotter, not a tactical illuminator. There are times in duty use that you want both; bright overpowering light, and broad general illumination. In that sense the M61 didn't work for me as the field goto.

Ive tried tons of streamlight's and surefires, and I have one favorite. Streamlight Polytac. The newer one with 275 lumens, 10 tap, 3 possible programs. Gives comparable flood to an M61 to 30 yards, but has at least twice the throw. It's very light, grippy, and feels more than durable enough for field use. I use a Keeppower 16650 2500mah and get 3-3.25 hours on high. No flickering and same perceivable output as cr123's. The tint is CW, but there is very little to no blue hues.
Id say the throw is pretty good to 75-80 yards, and will lightly touch 125 yards. But it does what I feel a small tac light should; great spill for up close, blinding throw/ target will squint for 40-50 yards, and will ID movement at 100 yards. Best parts, you can find it for $35-40 and it's got a lifetime warranty.

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks for your thoughts, I also prefer throwers and the M61 from what I have learned is not really a foot patrol light. You need a more positive low to cover rough ground all night, hi being just for occasional checking. And you can't afford to wait for your eyes to adjust after switching back from high either. 200-325 lumens back to 10-15 lumens is really no use to me. As such have been thinking the HD 18650 instead, and finding a cheaper 18650 based backup. The polytac would be great if it took the bigger battery...:)

mickb

Enlightened
Low power on it is even lower than normal M61 since it has less spill. Okay for campers and walking th dog, not traversing rough terrian. Also looked at the M361 but its not user friendly tactically. Low always comes on first and momentary touch cycles the power levels.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M61HOT Throw Head does throw significantly further than the M61. It also only has a fraction of the M61's very useful spill. The Throw Head's output on low of about 10 lumens or less, is likely inadequate.

The 18650 Hound Dog is a great choice. If it's not too large, the high voltage XM-L2 Hound Dog delivers a more tightly regulated output than the 18650 version.

Skivvy9r

Newly Enlightened
Since you're looking for a suitable duty light a little cheaper than the Malkoff, take a look at the offerings from PFlexPro. These are custom built lights with potted components and programmable power settings. Depending on what size light your looking for, either one built on a Convoy host or a Solarforce host could meet your needs. Certainly worth a look.

mickb

Enlightened
The M61HOT Throw Head does throw significantly further than the M61. It also only has a fraction of the M61's very useful spill. The Throw Head's output on low of about 10 lumens or less, is likely inadequate.

The 18650 Hound Dog is a great choice. If it's not too large, the high voltage XM-L2 Hound Dog delivers a more tightly regulated output than the 18650 version.

Thanks Grizzman I am looking at one of the HD's now as a nice to have, since they are so impressive.

mickb

Enlightened
Since you're looking for a suitable duty light a little cheaper than the Malkoff, take a look at the offerings from PFlexPro. These are custom built lights with potted components and programmable power settings. Depending on what size light your looking for, either one built on a Convoy host or a Solarforce host could meet your needs. Certainly worth a look.

Thanks! I will check them out to see if they will suit my duty requirements.

Latest posts