Recommend headlamp for reading?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralights are great but have you thought about something smaller, simpler and cheaper? The Silva Siju, for instance, is good for reading in bed, as is the Petzl e+lite. Both use coin cells which are really cheap on-line. I like them because they're so small and light I forget I'm wearing them.
Just an idea.

Just to let you know, the H502c I recommended is very small and comparable to both of those lights if not smaller. Also neither of those lights have a moonlight mode like the OP wants. They are also both a very cool white which not only causes worse glare and reflection compared to warm and neutral CCT lights but, also is bad for you before bed and causes issues with your ability to fall asleep and effects the quality of your sleep. And, they both have pretty severe low frequency PWM as well which is hard on the eyes and gives some people a headache. They are neat little lights and very light with their button cells but, are not a great option for reading in bed imo and are not a very eco friendly option long term either.

Last edited:

tm3

Newly Enlightened
Just as an FYI, right after I started this thread I sent an email to Zebralight to see what they recommend based on customer feedback. They replied:

H502d, if used for books/kindles mostly.

H53Fw, if used for books/kindles mainly, but occasionally some other indoor or outdoor use.

I asked a follow up question, to which they replied:

The H502d has no reflector and hence even with a clear lens, its beam is pretty much a pure flood.

The 'frosted' H53Fw can be used for reading as well as a general purpose light (but the H502d can't.)
Beam from a 'clear lens' H53w is bit harsh for reading books/kindles.

So, the 502 is a consistent recommendation, with votes for the W, the C, and the D models -- and so is the H53F with votes for the W, the C, and the D models.

I'm leaning towards one of the 502 variants.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
Well, it would certainly be an informed decision!

I don't have any experience with ZL, something I hope to change sooner rather than later. Good luck with your purchase, I'm sure it will be perfect for your needs.

kosh

Newly Enlightened
So, when it comes to Zebralight, the two models I recommend are the H502c L2 and H53Fc for reading. They both are a nice warm 4000K and are very small and light. .

How are compared to my old H51w ? I would prefer a more flood headlamp.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you're willing to accept that the light is specialized for close range tasks, the reflectorless models are great, they're better than the floody models, no doubt.
But if you want any real range and versatility, the floody version with a proper reflector and a frosted lens is an excellent compromise.
They have, I'll guesstimate 1/3 less throw than the clear lens versions, but much, much better throw than the pure flood, (4x+?),
and overall give a cast of light that's nearly optimal for a headlamp, for near and far, but they're still a compromise at arm's length and at the limits of throw for the led and reflector.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are compared to my old H51w ? I would prefer a more flood headlamp.

Both will be much more floody then your H51W. The H502c L2 will be the most floody as it is a mule(no reflector) and casts an almost perfectly even beam. The H53Fc will be floody also with its frosted lens but, has a less even beam that gets brighter towards the center and has a bit more throw. Neither has a defined hotspot like your H51W. I personally think the mule style is best for reading.

Last edited:

kosh

Newly Enlightened
Both will be much more floody then your H51W. The H502c L2 will be the most floody as it is a mule(no reflector) and casts an almost perfectly even beam. The H53Fc will be floody also with its frosted lens but, has a less even beam that gets brighter towards the center and has a bit more throw. Neither has a defined hotspot like your H51W. I personally think the mule style is best for reading.

I will certainly prefer a dimmer like that Imalent HR 20 delivers by a rotatable brightness adjustment .But we can't have everything I suppose.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will certainly prefer a dimmer like that Imalent HR 20 delivers by a rotatable brightness adjustment .But we can't have everything I suppose.

Yeah, it is definitely hard to find the perfect light that meets all ones needs and wants but, Zebralight is the closest I have found when it comes to headlamps. Trust me, UI preference aside, they are in a whole other league compared to Imalent. Not to mention, for reading, I find a mule style headlamp to be by far the best due to its extremely even beam profile and low glare and Zebralight is one of the only companies that makes mule headlamps.

kosh

Newly Enlightened
The H502c L2 will be the most floody as it is a mule(no reflector) and casts an almost perfectly even beam

I wonder if a frosty lens in front could make that even more suitable for reading. I certainly need to hold one to test this.

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
Very helpful , I have a hard time reading in low or medium light so definitely following the comments.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Scotch tape over a lens makes for a temporary difusal that can easily be removed.

Worried about left behind sticky? Stick it to your cotton clothing a couple of times to place a wee bit of lint over the sticky. An old painters trick for using any available tape to paint fine edges along wallpaper whereby sticky can remove the printed surface.

MX421

Enlightened
I wonder if a frosty lens in front could make that even more suitable for reading. I certainly need to hold one to test this.

Doubtful,

Basically a diffuser (either via tape, frosted lens, or semi transparent plastic) only serves to smooth out any hospots in the beam profile. Al of these choices essentialy reduce the output somewhat to do this. The H502/H60X bem pattern is basically a "mule". No hotspot, just pure evenly dispursed light. The only thing that one of the diffusing elements (save adding colored diffuser) in between the LED would do would be to reduce the output.