Recommend hiking headlamp that can take rechargeable or disposable cells (CR123A)?

victorhooi

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm going hiking in April for 2 weeks, and need a decent headlamp to bring along.

My preference is for something that takes both a rechargeable cell, and disposable cells. When I'm back home, I prefer rechargeable, but when I'm hiking, I'd prefer just bringing some spare batteries along. (I don't mind if it's CR123A or AA/AAA - I would assume CR123A would last longer?)

The new 1000-lumen Surefire Maximus looks pretty awesome :laughing:. However, it only runs on the integrated lithium-ion battery pack.

The Coast FL75R looks interesting - AAA or integrated rechargeable pack, and it has a red LED as well, which is useful:

https://coastportland.com/product/fl75r/

However, it seems Coast isn't too beloved here on these forums? (But they do have a lifetime warranty?)

I'm happy to pay for quality, USA made etc.

Regards,
Victor

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
In order of energy:

AA lithium primary (1.5V, 3000mAh) - 4.5 Watt hours
CR123A lithium primary (3V, 1400mAh) - 4.2 Watt hours
AA alkaline (1.5V, 2800 mAh at low power) - 4.2 Watt hours
14500 (AA) lithium-ion rechargeable (3.7V, 750 mAh) - 2.8 Watt hours
16340 (RCR123) lithium-ion rechargeable (3.7V, 650 mAh) - 2.4 Watt hours
AA NiMH (1.2V, 2000 mAh) - 2.4 Watt-Hours

The AA alkaline number above is misleading unless you only use your lights in low mode. Their capacity is much lower at medium and high drain rates.

So yes, CR123A is a very good battery choice for lightweight headlamps. You won't get 1000 lumens unless you step up to an 18650 model, some of which can also take 2xCR123A. However, I find 50-100 lumens generally a very comfortable light level for hiking that allows for reasonable runtimes. Don't forget also that with AAA or AA powered lights, you can use rechargeable NiMH batteries, and in some cases 14500 lithium ion batteries.

I think Coast makes reasonable mid-grade lights, but they're mostly unregulated, with minimal mode choices.

Since you didn't list any more detailed preferences, all these models are popular around here:
Zebralight H32 series
Armytek Tiara C1
Olight H1 Nova

The above companies also make AA and 18650 powered lights, as do Fenix, Nitecore, and several others. You have a lot of options to explore.

colight

Enlightened
The HL50 from Fenix is recommendable considering your specifications, even though it doesn't have a red LED. It is neutral white, in case that is what you prefer. The headlamp itself is removable and can be used as a handheld flashlight when needed. You also can't go wrong with Fenix quality. They have many other options that you can have a look at.

victorhooi

Newly Enlightened
Interesting - I might checkout some of the brands mentioned as well (Fenix, Zebralight, Armytek and Olight).

I had a look at the Fenix HL50 - to be honest, I don't particularly like that design - a long cylinder with the switch at one side. It almost looks like the took a torch and stuck it to a headband. (That, and my father has all these cheap Chinese headlamps that seem to follow that design). But maybe that's me - if there's a good reason they're designed that way, would love to know =)?

I also saw these:

It seems like Led Lenser (like Coast) isn't too popular here as well - curious why?

(There's also a Led Lenser H14R.2 - https://www.ledlenser.com/uk/products/headlamps/h-series/h14r2/ - but that only has a battery pack, won't take disposable cells. To be honest, may as well as get the Surefire Maximus.

The Revolt looks alright, as does the Reactik (not sure if that adaptive lighting thing is just a gimmick) - if both plasticky, no idea how durable they are.

I don't really need the headlamp to be removable as I already have a flashlight for both my wife and I (Inova Inforce Color and a Surefire L2)

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think LED Lenser is liked well-enough, but most of us are satisfied with non-zooming headlamps, and LED Lensers are a step up in price from most of the other brands. I've never used one.

Petzl has a good overall reputation in the mainstream market. They're not performance leaders, and only a couple of their models have regulated output for constant brightness as battery voltage declines, but they're generally reliable.

The cylinder with an off-center switch and emitter layout like the HL50 is very common for lights powered by cells other than AAA's. It helps keeps the light compact when using these larger cylindrical cells.

PiperBob

Newly Enlightened
I
I had a look at the Fenix HL50 - to be honest, I don't particularly like that design - a long cylinder with the switch at one side. It almost looks like the took a torch and stuck it to a headband. (That, and my father has all these cheap Chinese headlamps that seem to follow that design). But maybe that's me - if there's a good reason they're designed that way, would love to know =)?

I think it's a reliability issue. With a screw on end cap there are fewer failure points than a hinged model. I've had a number of hinged headlamps and they all break. None of them were particularly expensive, except a LED Lenser. The circuit quit with it.

I started a thread about durable headlamps not long ago and decided to go with a Fenix HL10. I haven't bought it yet, but that's what I'm going to get. 70 lumens single mode AA battery. Simple on-off switch, and a sliding diffuser.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
In order of energy:

AA lithium primary (1.5V, 3000mAh) - 4.5 Watt hours
CR123A lithium primary (3V, 1400mAh) - 4.2 Watt hours
AA alkaline (1.5V, 2800 mAh at low power) - 4.2 Watt hours
14500 (AA) lithium-ion rechargeable (3.7V, 750 mAh) - 2.8 Watt hours
16340 (RCR123) lithium-ion rechargeable (3.7V, 650 mAh) - 2.4 Watt hours
AA NiMH (1.2V, 2000 mAh) - 2.4 Watt-Hours

The AA alkaline number above is misleading unless you only use your lights in low mode. Their capacity is much lower at medium and high drain rates.

So yes, CR123A is a very good battery choice for lightweight headlamps. You won't get 1000 lumens unless you step up to an 18650 model, some of which can also take 2xCR123A. However, I find 50-100 lumens generally a very comfortable light level for hiking that allows for reasonable runtimes. Don't forget also that with AAA or AA powered lights, you can use rechargeable NiMH batteries, and in some cases 14500 lithium ion batteries.

I think Coast makes reasonable mid-grade lights, but they're mostly unregulated, with minimal mode choices.

Since you didn't list any more detailed preferences, all these models are popular around here:
Zebralight H32 series
Armytek Tiara C1

Olight H1 Nova

The above companies also make AA and 18650 powered lights, as do Fenix, Nitecore, and several others. You have a lot of options to explore.

I second these two options and add the Armytek Tiara C1 Pro. They are all great headlamps and run on rechargeable or primary cells.

Last edited:

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I bought my Olight H1 Nova specifically with hiking in mind.

I used it on camping trip last weekend and it worked very well, I can't wait to use it on my hiking trip end of April.

My LED Lenser I had before that broke at the flanged hinge and is now all but useless.

My Petzl Tikka is now with my wife. Having used both I far prefer the Olight.

FDP

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the H1 Nova. Very happy with mine.

Lorrainelv

Newly Enlightened
:duh2::duh2:Wow, i think the worse problem is some of the instructions on the lamp lumen will be virtual, so we need a detector to test it.