Recommend me a charger!

adict2jane

Newly Enlightened
Hi All!
Getting into 18650 cells after using AA/AAA NiMH batteries for a long time.
I am looking for a quality charger that has USB output and is relatively cheap.
I was looking at the Xtar VP2 which is really nice and reasonably priced.
These Efest chargers look ok as well:
http://www.efestpower.com/Product/983627324.html
http://www.efestpower.com/Product/5163781547.html

Are there any other chargers out there that would be a little cheaper or that any of you just prefer?
Thank you in advance!
Best,
adict2jane :D

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the Xtar VP2 and use it most often. I started out with the Xtar WP2 II and also bought a NiteCore i4 v2.

All work very well, but the VP2 is a pretty nifty charger.

Chris

HKJ

Flashaholic
Are there any other chargers out there that would be a little cheaper or that any of you just prefer?

You have to decide what type of charger you want:
Can charge only 4.2 volt batteries (The most common type) or can charge other voltages too.
How small batteries do you want to charger, only 18650 or are you going to use 16340, 14500 or even 10440 batteries?
How fast do you want to charge your batteries, is 10 hours acceptable?

The two last questions are used to select possible currents. A 1A charger is fairly fast, but can only be used for 18650, not for the smaller sizes.

You can check the different chargers on my website, there is a table for each charger with supported battery sizes (It does not always match the official specifications), battery types and some charge curves where you can get an idea about the charge time.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
The Xtar VP2 is quality, constant current charging, affordable but not a bargain for a 2-slot charger. I think the NiteCore D4 is a bargain and idiot-proof for new users, but only simulates constant current charging, pretty sure its pulse charging. The D4 would probably be nicer to small Li-ion 10440 cells, can charge as low as 150mA, and supports more chemistries, like NiMH, NiCd, but for larger cells some have complained it takes a long time to charge at its max current, 750mA. If you know you won't need to charge smaller Li-ion cells and NiMH, the Xtar VP2 is the way to go. I have the D4, and its not perfect but fine for my current needs. I'll probably be getting a VP2 this year when my needs expand to larger cells, but also to dedicate it for charging all my LiFePO4 cells because it has a manual switch unlike the D4 which must be set to LiFePO4 after placing the cell in slot (and if it loses and regains connection during charge cycle, will auto-detect as a different Li-ion and overcharge the 3.2v/3.7v cell as a 3.6v/4.2v cell, terminating at 4.2v instead of 3.7v-- happened to me once already).

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
No complaints about my NiteCore i2 (circa 2013?) but now I have two Xtar MC1 single bay chargers for a simple travel unit and to charge from a solar panel.

I also have the Xtar VC2 and VP2. One needs to remember to choose the current when using the VP2. The VC2 is nice, and it will tell you how much capacity (mAh) you put back in the battery. Numerous times now I have charged my 'feel good battery of the year' Orbtronic 5200 mAh 22650 sized batteries on the 1/2 amp VC2 with no complaints. ( I usually drain the cells to about 3.6 volts at most, before charging) The VC2 is good for charging smaller batteries. I will charge a 10440 on it while charging an 18650, with a lower output powered transformer/power supply so the amperage is around 350 mA. But the VP2 is definitely worth buying. I have not used the USB-out on it and understand only one cell can be drawn from, at a time.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should add that the Xtar VP2 is more convenient for charging the 10440 batteries. But if you want USB input charging, it can be done with the VC2, at a lower current than 1/2 amp.