Recommend me a multi-meter please?

amham

Newly Enlightened
I'm a calibration technician by trade and have tested/calibrated thousands and thousands of multimeters over the years. The only meter to purchase is a FLUKE! The percentage that test out of tolerances is so low that I cannot begin to estimate. Either they work or don't. Most Flukes today come with a lifetime warranty...that is Fluke may not state it but they will replace/repair any meter sent back to them at no charge. Just choose a model that fulfills your requirements. With the exception of a high end Agilent at high cost, buy handheld fluke.

sbrads

Newly Enlightened
I'm a calibration technician by trade and have tested/calibrated thousands and thousands of multimeters over the years. The only meter to purchase is a FLUKE! The percentage that test out of tolerances is so low that I cannot begin to estimate. Either they work or don't. Most Flukes today come with a lifetime warranty...that is Fluke may not state it but they will replace/repair any meter sent back to them at no charge. Just choose a model that fulfills your requirements. With the exception of a high end Agilent at high cost, buy handheld fluke.

I'm an ancient electronics test engineer, still using lab DVMs and handhelds 8hrs a day. I use Fluke handhelds all the time but perfect they're not. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to resolder the pcb mounted 4mm sockets, they go intermittent every few months with heavy use. Apart from that problem they will put up with dropping and a bit of abuse and stay in calibration. Not that I'm saying any other make is better. I've never had a problem with recent Uni-T or even a 20yr old Rapid Electronics cheap DVM but they don't get used as much as the Flukes. I prefer the Uni-T 50C for high current as it goes to 20A and can measure temperature, but the high resistance range is way out of calibration.

passive101

Enlightened
I have AA Eneloop batteries and 123 and 18650 li ion batteries.

I don't have a voltmeter to check the voltages. (I'm pretty sure that is what people call them). I don't know how to tell what is a good one, but I don't want to spend much money on something like this. What features do I want in one and how do I tell if one is good or not?

Last edited by a moderator:

havequick

Newly Enlightened

I would agree that Fluke is generally the industry standard for EEs and techs--their 8X series is probably used by more professional labs than any other DMM. However, I would also suggest that most of the models Fluke sells will be way overkill (and more expensive) for most functions required by someone asking here. There are a number of brands out there that are not Fluke, but are still much higher in quality than your standard RS handheld or pocket multimeter. Wavetek comes to mind.

Hashime

Newly Enlightened
Fluke is definitely makes a good DMM. I own a Fluke 179, and an Agilent U1253A (which has datalogging). I really like them both.

Also UNI-T has some darn cheap sub $100 datalogging DMM's out, which are pretty solid from what I hear.

I used one of their re-branded ones at work for a while and they are pretty nice. I checked them against a Keithly 2110 bench DMM and they are accurate.

Hashime

Newly Enlightened
Re: Good cheap volt meter?

If you are seriously considering a Fluke 289 consider getting a bench model instead of a hand held. You can get a really nice Keithly benchtop for about the same amount that has a few more features.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Good cheap volt meter?

I bought one on ebay that I really like (Klein) and it has awesome features including a huge, lit screen and it's very simple to use.
Around $50 or so.

If anyone's interested, I'll put some links up.

George

Clayton4971

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fluke I have had for many years . Use to build a lot of equipment for ham radio. Health kit had a lot of kits . Today things are so small and integrated the Fluke is tough

cdrake261

Enlightened
Rebooting an old thread....

I just purchased a fluke 116, I'm all happy with it until I thought I saw some people say you can't measure more then 1 amps of current...now I'm wondering if I had purchased the right meter for my led crave...

Joe Kidd

Newly Enlightened
I've still got my Beckman HD110 from ages past, but graduated to a Fluke 26 about 12 years ago after a trashed fluke 12.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Yes, I know this is an old thread, but how can a Fluke 115 be set to a 6A scale. I have a fairly new 115. Thanks.

It is automatic, when measuring below 6A the range will be 0.000A to 6.000A when above 6A it will be 0.00A to 10.00A (20.00A for a short time). You can also use the range button to change between the two ranges.