Recommendation for some Good Books

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just finished another good Joe Haldeman book called "Starbound". I think it's his latest. One of the better science fiction writers. Not part of a series or trilogy, at least not yet. I'm getting tired of those.

Geoff

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well after finishing 2 shifts at work (1st. & 3rd.) I am almost finished with "the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" on my iPhone. Pretty good read.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
"Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason. A mesmerizing account of the helicopter war in Vietnam.

"Masters of Deception: The Gang That Ruled Cyberspace" by Michele Slatalla. This riveting account of electronic gang warfare and computer crimes by two rival bands of hackers.

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput
Douglas adams Hitch hiker's series of books is excellent very funny and so is other series Dirk gently's holistic detective agency.

Issac asimov the best series of books ive ever read.

The robot ( includes I Robot) series links to the foundation and empire series to create a amazing indepth world with plenty of food for thought. Its a long series that will keep you gripped all the way.

Harry Potter
Youve all seen the film's read the books thier a lot more detailed and the films miss loads out.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. Killer.

Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. Killer and funny.

Don Quixote by Cervantes. Killer funny.

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome. Funny.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most books by Wilbur Smith. He's never boring and most of his stuff is actually based on real stuff throughout history. Check out his Courtney and Ballantyne series which are about ONE family in Africa. The courtneys start around 1850 and follows them to current times.

http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/home/index.html

If you don't want to start from the beginning of a series, Power of the Sword in the courtney series is a great one to start with but all can be read independently. I don't quite like some of his newest ones though but pretty much his first 23 books are great :)

Jeffrey Archer's A matter of honour, Kain and Abel and a Quiver full of arrows (short stories) are good

Robert Ludlum's The Parsifal Mosaic (1982) is good

Shiké by Robert Shea is great too

George

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Glad to see this thread up and moving about.

Barnes & Nobles has a nice bargain among their in-store editions of the Classics.

Complete stories of Sherlock Holmes in two volumes. Price very reasonable for what you get. Paperbacks, and be sure you completely skip the forward in each volume. (They should have been "afterwards," and contain spoliers.)

The Sherlock Holmes stories are very different from many modern-day detective novels. You, as the reader, are not provided with a bunch of clues and given the chance to determine who did it. Instead, Holmes solves the mysteries, and then points out exactly how he came to his conclusions. For someone who has never read a Holmes mystery, but would like to; these two paperback volumes are a nice bargain.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Fantasy: The Inheritance Trilogy (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr) with the final novel yet to come. I enjoyed these even more than The Lord Of The Rings. No matter what, do NOT see the Eragon movie! That movie was absolutely horrible and a complete travesty of the book.

Fiction/Spiritual: +1 for Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. I also recommend Journey To The East by Hesse.

Non-fiction/Spiritual: The Spiritwalker trilogy by Hank Wesselman, Om Baba: A Mystical Odyssey by Tom Heckel, Letters From The Afterlife by Elsa Barker, Testimony of Light by Helen Greaves.

Fiction: George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four, Aldous Huxley's A Brave New World

Non-fiction/Philosophy: books by Jiddu Krishnamurti and Eckhart Tolle

Also, plus 1 to Atlas Shrugged, Isaac Asimov's robot series, George Orwell's Animal Farm and the works of Kurt Vonnegut.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Fiction: George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four . . .

Not sure if that should be included. In this topic? Yes, absolutely. But as fiction? Not sure.
Orwell wrote it as a cautionary tale. But the politicians in Great Britain have used it as a How-To guide.

Another one I recommend checking out is "One Second After," by William R. Forstchen.

While a bit flawed in certain ways, it's an interesting novel that deals with the issue of an EMP attack.

EDIT:

Fair Warning ~

If you're allergic to poor grammar, you might want to ask the clerk at the bookstore if they have an audio copy of this book.

Or you might want to keep a glass of water and a couple of extra-strength Bayer handy.

Seriously, it's about as bad as reading through the made-up language in "A Clockwork Orange." Which in that book consisted of English combined with numerous Russian words that were spelled out in English by someone who doesn't speak Russian. Someone who simply hears the words being spoken and uses the English alphabet to translate them onto paper. And translate them quite badly. This is coming from someone who actually knows Russian, and even I had a headache of a time getting through the book.

Last edited by a moderator:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Robert Crais is good for a light read, easy to get into it.

Anything Nelson DeMille {Plumb Island :thumbsup:}