Recommendations for compact bright light under $100 for rainforest

Barrington

Newly Enlightened
Well I think I would opt for the Thrunite TN4A HI (in neutral white). Good runtime on low and medium. You won't need more than medium for wandering around in the forest. But great throw on high and turbo for picking out the little monkey hanging around in the canopy. Compact, waterproof and quite rugged. But best of all it runs on aa batteries so you can afford to take plenty of spares or buy them when you get there. And finally it cost just $50 in the US.

luis0321

Newly Enlightened
Get a JETBeam-1 MK as secondary. Under $20 and uses one AA. It has 3 brightness levels and it's great. It's what I carry on my non work days.

camelight

Newly Enlightened
If you want a lot of light for long runtime it will have to be big light
There is the convoy l6 using 2×26650 ot would get nice runtime on around 1000lm
I have klarus g30 its run on 3×18650 so great runtime on 900lm mode (3.4h-4h) but it's a floody light
But for seeing up to 15 feet on a tree it's would be even to much

If you don't need a very bright light you don't neet those and can use a smaller light but both of those lights give you nice runtimes in around 1000lm and under 100usd

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last post about the Malkoff, and then I'll shut up - promise!

The MD2 host - found under "Parts and Miscellaneous items" costs $71.99
The drop-in I'm suggesting for a balance of run-time and color-rendering tint is the M61NL (160 lumens for five hours, and a long taper after that): $44.99

You already have an 18650 plus charger. So your total, with free shipping comes to: $117. You might pick up some spare CR123s for backup purposes.

You get a rock-solid light, simple on/off tail clicky, capable of taking two different power sources as needed, a good tint for viewing colors and textures, and one of the best beam profiles for close to medium viewing (in my humble opinion).

You could re-sell this afterwards - although I don't know what the market look like these days. But if you decide to keep it, you'll have an adventure ready flashlight for just about any occasion.

sgt253

Enlightened

The drop-in I'm suggesting for a balance of run-time and color-rendering tint is the M61NL (160 lumens for five hours, and a long taper after that): $44.99

You already have an 18650 plus charger. So your total, with free shipping comes to: $117. You might pick up some spare CR123s for backup purposes.

You get a rock-solid light, simple on/off tail clicky, capable of taking two different power sources as needed, a good tint for viewing colors and textures, and one of the best beam profiles for close to medium viewing (in my humble opinion).

You could re-sell this afterwards - although I don't know what the market look like these days. But if you decide to keep it, you'll have an adventure ready flashlight for just about any occasion.

+1

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is the light I just finished a test on and mentioned yesterday as well. I actually got around 10hrs of full output then a long gradual decline. I do not have a meter so maybe it wasn't quite full output but it sure seemed like it. I ended the test somewhere between 15-16hrs. It was still enough output to find your way or see around inside at a pretty low level but it was still ticking. When i got up today it was still going but in a moonlight mode.

Definitely a nice light and if i didn't already have it, i would offer to buy it from the OP after his adventure; if he ended up going this route. Although it would not be hard to sell

Another note about the Malkoff site. If you register as a user/customer, leave the items in the cart over night, you should get an email for 10% off with a coupon code. This has happened to me in the past when i did not complete the checkout. Just another thing to consider.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the Malkoff is a great drop in, one thing to keep in mind is the output. Usually 300-400 lumens is good, but when outdoors it's helpful to have more light available, especially if needed. Imo it's better to have more light that you never need or use than to get a light that doesn't have enough when you need it. With the OP using this at night for long periods of time an 18650 is probably the best choice and anything over 700-800 lumens. I've had several times when hiking that I needed to use a 600+ lumen mode, when in open areas or something goes "bump" in the night, you're going to want all the light you can get.

hardrock

Newly Enlightened
That's a good point however we will be out in a group of 5 and the guides have extremely bright headlights and flashlights.. the lights I bring will most likely be supplemental (the flashlight at least.... headlamp will be needed). So perhaps I can go with a malkoff flashlight and zebralight headlamp and just sell the flashlight after the trip.

jaybiz32

Enlightened
If it were me I would check out the klarus MI7. THere is a link to it on the classified section of CPF. Small bright high and low power modes. Waterproof. Runs off 14500 battery or AA and is only $30.

jaybiz32

Enlightened
A little off topic but now I am intrigued. Are you going with an organized tour group. Is there a website?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted in the other thread, but to repeat: Zebralight.
Now that the MK III models are available, the H600 MK II are discounted by 20$.
Great deal imo, H600w Mk II or H600Fw Mk II would be my pick.

hardrock

Newly Enlightened
A little off topic but now I am intrigued. Are you going with an organized tour group. Is there a website?

Its more like a private tour.. 2 other friends with 2 guides. The company is called tropicalherping.. highly recommmend them if you are looking to see some wild animals.

hardrock

Newly Enlightened
Ok, this gives you some time to figure out what you want to do with the light/headlamp situation, that's good.

It's been a little slower lately but keep an eye on the fs section daily if you can.

I agree there's no rush... think I will end up with the zebralight 600w for sure.. seems like most well rounded option.

hardrock

Newly Enlightened
So I asked a friend who has been to the jungles many times and he recommended a fenix tk35 ultimate edition with a cheapie headlight.. said the flashlight will be bright enough for anything.. thoughts?