Recommended light for EDC in pocket / belt clip

Turbomunkey

Newly Enlightened
Looking for something made in USA. Small enough for either belt clip carry or pocket carry. Not planning on using it super often, biggest concern is at night when im walking the dog in the woods. AA would be kewl, can also do the CR123A or what ever the latest cool battery is. Rechargeable would also be an awesome feature, but maybe thats more batteries than the light?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The list of those actually assembled on a U.S. domestic line is very short and very limited. I'll let others address those who actually use them. So, that requirement aside, I'll tell you what I use personally that fits that application.

If you'll settle for something designed/engineered and fully supported by a great, long time U.S. flashlight manufacturer with great U.S. distribution, but is a specific model that's assembled on one of their off-shore lines: I use the Streamlight ProTac 1L-!AA. It uses either AA or CR123A. It offers somewhat configurable UI via SL's Ten-Tap feature, Borofloat lens, and ANSI FL-1 2-meter impact rating (3 things you won't find in a lot of lights), and is ideal for me in the general EDC role - all for <$50 USD. It'll also runs well on LFP 123 rechargeable cells, but no in-light recharging.

Last edited:

Turbomunkey

Newly Enlightened
The list of those actually assembled on a U.S. domestic line is very short and very limited. I'll let others address those who actually use them. So, that requirement aside, I'll tell you what I use personally that fits that application.

If you'll settle for something designed/engineered and fully supported by a great, long time U.S. flashlight manufacturer with great U.S. distribution, but is a specific model that's assembled on one of their off-shore lines: I use the Streamlight ProTac 1L-!AA. It uses either AA or CR123A. It offers somewhat configurable UI via SL's Ten-Tap feature, Borofloat lens, and ANSI FL-1 2-meter impact rating (3 things you won't find in a lot of lights), and is ideal for me in the general EDC role - all for <$50 USD. It'll also runs well on LFP 123 rechargeable cells, but no in-light recharging.

This is actually a pretty intriguing light, and the price is nice. Thank you, I might have to grab this. Let's see what else people suggest first.

Turbomunkey

Newly Enlightened
I will say this, new style flashlights with all of the altérnate functions annoy me. I want to push a button and have the light on, maybe a lower level setting. I don't need strobe or anything else.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will say this, new style flashlights with all of the altérnate functions annoy me. I want to push a button and have the light on, maybe a lower level setting. I don't need strobe or anything else.
Same here. Two of the (persistent) setting options via Ten-Tap are single High output, and simple 2-output (Low - Hi). It has a proper momentary / maintained (constant)-on tailcap pushbutton, with the latter option setting (L-H) determined by one or two button presses at activation (respectively). No other switches, and can be as simple as one level, on-off.

Edit: It is capable of a strobe mode, but that can be disabled depending on the config selected. It can't be activated (accidentally or otherwise) in either of the two config modes I mentioned (of which there are 3 choices). Those config options are 'set and forget' - they will not change unless you change them intentionally.

Last edited:

fulee9999

Enlightened
you can check out the Malkoff Devices product line, there are several solutions to your needs.
you can do 2xAA with a Malkoff MD3 + Malkoff M31W, or a small format with a Malkoff CR123 body + VME head + M31W, or right out a Malkoff MDC.
another single CR123 alternative is Elzetta Alpha, it's small but thick
or a similarly US made small flashlight is the Peak Eiger

Turbomunkey

Newly Enlightened
I went on Malkoffs website. They seem to be well regarded, but a lot of OOS items. Must sell a lot?

Turbomunkey

Newly Enlightened
Same here. Two of the (persistent) setting options via Ten-Tap are single High output, and simple 2-output (Low - Hi). It has a proper momentary / maintained (constant)-on tailcap pushbutton, with the latter option setting (L-H) determined by one or two button presses at activation (respectively). No other switches, and can be as simple as one level, on-off.

Edit: It is capable of a strobe mode, but that can be disabled depending on the config selected. It can't be activated (accidentally or otherwise) in either of the two config modes I mentioned (of which there are 3 choices). Those config options are 'set and forget' - they will not change unless you change them intentionally.
I did some browsing and it seems like your streamlight is a real home run. The "dual fuel" also is neat feature. I ended up purchasing one, $48 bucks shipped. Down the road maybe ill spring for a better one, but the features seem to be on par with the other lights I saw. Ive owned streamlight weapon lights before, they were solid.

Thank you, and thanks to the other people who chimed in.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll echo @aznsx I absolutely love the Streamlight 1L1AA. It takes a AA or a CR123 and is well within reasonable EDC budget. I got one for my daughter who went off to college, and I bought one for a business trip. My regular EDC is a Surefire L1, but the Streamlight's ability to take AA's or CR123's and overall flexibility with different modes and outputs won out... not to mention I could replace it if I lost it.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also Streamlight Protac 90 could be an option but not everyone likes right-angle flashlights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Definitely the SL 1L-1AA.
I love mine. In an emergency, if you're careful positioning the battery, it can work off of a single-AAA battery too. Though wouldn't recommend EDCing the light with such a battery inside of it.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some browsing and it seems like your streamlight is a real home run. The "dual fuel" also is neat feature. I ended up purchasing one, $48 bucks shipped. Down the road maybe ill spring for a better one, but the features seem to be on par with the other lights I saw. Ive owned streamlight weapon lights before, they were solid.

Thank you, and thanks to the other people who chimed in.

A number of people who hang out here use the 1L-1AA, and I'm trying to recall someone ever posting a negative comment or experience about it. I can't. Along that line, it's also been in production just long enough to establish a proper reputation / record - so if there were issues, they'd be known. You didn't go wrong. Let us know what you think when you get it and do some test drives.

If you want to use ~3V rechargeables for the higher output, Surefire sells a pair of LFP 123 cells with a charger, as does K2.

Since you haven't spent too much money yet, if you find you'd like to find another light in this general category to pick up; as others have pointed out, there are other fine options. I think Surefire has some options in the 1XCR123A category, although perhaps not in the AA. Others 'round here are more familiar with SF than I am.

Malkoff does have options, and although a small(er) operation, their reputation is impeccable.

The same is true of Elzetta, and I also personally use their Alpha-Gen3 and love it.

From everything I read around here, I don't think you could go wrong with anything from either of those two companies. They are also both small(er) operations with great reputations, and I believe they both still manage to do all of their production work domestically, which is also a 'plus' in my book when I can get it. Some of my SL lights purchased in recent times are also 'assembled in U.S.A.' as well (Polytac X, Stinger 2020, etc.), and although not all of their models are (like the 1L-1AA), SL is very much a U.S. company (since 1973).

BTW: I also use the 1L-1AA's slightly larger 18650 sibling, the 2L-X. It shares much with the former design, and I also like it a lot. Being essentially a slightly larger 1L-1AA for 18650s, if you like one, you'd like the other; they share the same features and operating characteristics.

Turbomunkey

Newly Enlightened
A number of people who hang out here use the 1L-1AA, and I'm trying to recall someone ever posting a negative comment or experience about it. I can't. Along that line, it's also been in production just long enough to establish a proper reputation / record - so if there were issues, they'd be known. You didn't go wrong. Let us know what you think when you get it and do some test drives.

If you want to use ~3V rechargeables for the higher output, Surefire sells a pair of LFP 123 cells with a charger, as does K2.

Since you haven't spent too much money yet, if you find you'd like to find another light in this general category to pick up; as others have pointed out, there are other fine options. I think Surefire has some options in the 1XCR123A category, although perhaps not in the AA. Others 'round here are more familiar with SF than I am.

Malkoff does have options, and although a small(er) operation, their reputation is impeccable.

The same is true of Elzetta, and I also personally use their Alpha-Gen3 and love it.

From everything I read around here, I don't think you could go wrong with anything from either of those two companies. They are also both small(er) operations with great reputations, and I believe they both still manage to do all of their production work domestically, which is also a 'plus' in my book when I can get it. Some of my SL lights purchased in recent times are also 'assembled in U.S.A.' as well (Polytac X, Stinger 2020, etc.), and although not all of their models are (like the 1L-1AA), SL is very much a U.S. company (since 1973).

BTW: I also use the 1L-1AA's slightly larger 18650 sibling, the 2L-X. It shares much with the former design, and I also like it a lot. Being essentially a slightly larger 1L-1AA for 18650s, if you like one, you'd like the other; they share the same features and operating characteristics.
I ended up grabbing some regular batteries instead of RC, as some of my firearm related items also use the CR123. Thanks for the in depth replies and info. I'm going to hold off on buying more stuff for now. I just spent a good $400 or so in the last day on misc stuff including this flash light. Yeesh

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up grabbing some regular batteries instead of RC, as some of my firearm related items also use the CR123. Thanks for the in depth replies and info. I'm going to hold off on buying more stuff for now. I just spent a good $400 or so in the last day on misc stuff including this flash light. Yeesh
I just spent a good $400 or so in the last day on misc stuff including this flash light.
Ouch! That's OK. If my 1L-1AA was my only flashlight, I'd probably get by just fine! Others can wait.....

Enjoy!

Turbomunkey

Newly Enlightened
Got the light. Actually used it a bit, the dog ran into the brush chasing something. It was an opposum that ran up a tree. The light is quite powerful for such a little thing. Money well spent. Not sure why ive never had a light when im doing edgy things like walking alone at night. Next thing on the light is likely an auto-knife.