repair for stuck Surefire 6P tailcap?

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I mess around and try to fix my stuff too like on the video. If it were me however, I would still also have them send me a new tailcap.

Now that I think back something like over a decade ago I had a L1 digital Lumamax with only one brightness setting. (I think it was that model) and I remember it had the same exact problem. I think mine was caused from throwing it as hard as I could on a concrete shop floor though. I do know it made a barely noticeable crack across the glass but it never shattered. I don't know whatever happened to that light.

busseguy

Enlightened
I mess around and try to fix my stuff too like on the video. If it were me however, I would still also have them send me a new tailcap.

Now that I think back something like over a decade ago I had a L1 digital Lumamax with only one brightness setting. (I think it was that model) and I remember it had the same exact problem. I think mine was caused from throwing it as hard as I could on a concrete shop floor though. I do know it made a barely noticeable crack across the glass but it never shattered. I don't know whatever happened to that light.

Sadly that's what I'm going to have to do. I tried pulling out the round aluminum piece from the tailcap but it would not budge. There must be a small piece of something broken off underneath wedging against it.

I will be contacting Surefire on Monday :)

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep us updated with contacting Surefire, and your progress.
Sadly that's what I'm going to have to do. I tried pulling out the round aluminum piece from the tailcap but it would not budge. There must be a small piece of something broken off underneath wedging against it.

I will be contacting Surefire on Monday :)

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mess around and try to fix my stuff too like on the video.

Sounds like me. The Z57 clickies used to be really unreliable before they upgraded them. Back around 2006 or so I took apart a Z61 (same switch internally) that was stuck in the on position. I lubed everything with clp and put it back together. What a pain in the a$$! Those things have a lot of little parts. I'm glad they changed the design in the newer revisions. It worked again after I was done with it though I never really trusted it again.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please don't forget the spring in front of the light also. Just saying :)

Yes, the lamp assembly springs can become over compressed as well. I've seen it on a lot of used lights. Or sometimes, the spring may just be slightly out of spec.

GoVegan

Enlightened
Doesn't Surefire have lifetime warranty? Not sure if that transfers if you sell the light, but give it a shot. Given how over-priced those lights are, you may as well take advantage of the warranty.

Surefire does have a lifetime warranty but only for the original purchaser, however in this case the light was acquired used so would not be covered. As such it wouldn't be right to expect the company to cover this under their warranty.
Also switches technically aren't covered although Surefire have been know to send new ones out to customers.

https://www.surefire.com/warranty

So in this case, my advise to the OP is take the switch completely apart and try putting back together again, failing that purchase a used tailcap from one of the auction sites.
The seller (if sold) should have been honest upfront about the condition of the light (I don't know maybe they were), but the 6P could also be a fake as this is one of the Surefire models that is known to have counterfeits.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
In the past, SureFire Customer Service has been quite generous with legit warranty issues.

As you note, used parts (especially for common models like the 6P) are pretty easy to source, and new Z41-compatible parts are also available from Oveready too.

And yes, there have been non-authentic "clones" of the 6P. Along with probably the G2 series, those are likely the most common fakes.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If surefire has older stock of parts they will generally send out to you free of charge. I have sourced tail caps in the past from them.

Bill

cody12

Newly Enlightened
I've had several warranty fixes over the last 20yrs and the question of original ownership never came up. Good thing too, 80% of my Surefire collection is previously owned. Last count was 111 total, used and new. Surefire will send you a new clickie tailcap, no problem. Been there, done that. It probably won't look like yours (z41). More likely it will be off a Fury or some newer variation of a combat light or 6p. Good luck
Steve in L.A.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Candlepowerforums mobile app