Rest in peace, Woods Walker

TyTEK

Newly Enlightened
Oh wow, this is sad news! MegaWoodswalker's review video of the MD2 is what convinced me that I needed one! I always enjoyed seeing him actually use his gear. He seemed like such a fun, nice guy. Truly a great loss. My prayers and condolences for his family.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really enjoyed his videos and the few brief exchanges we had. 50, wow.

markr6

Flashaholic
No freakin way!!!!!! I'm just finding out about this. Such a horrible thing. I loved watching his hot tent videos.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Such a sad loss, his wealth of knowledge will live on because he got out there and shared his expediences. An amazing and inspirational person. One of my favorite flashlight vids of his:

https://youtu.be/jioaCajdvuQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched that vid a few times – great stuff!

Another Woods Walker omnivore light vid I like:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Rumor has it Bigfoot and the abomidal snowman flipped a coin to see you got to put out WW's camp fire one night and when it happened he set out on a journey to find the guilty party and have a fish dinner with it but a mountain lion jumped ole Bigfoot causing it to limp, which made it walk slightly to the left so it got lost and WoodsWalker had to rescue it and as luck would have it just about the time ole WW was about to download the video to his youtube channel a piece of a Russian space craft from the 1960's fell to earth and bashed ole WW into a coma.

While in a coma a 900 pound gorilla escaped from a local zoo, broke into the hospital proceeded to wreak havoc. WW woke from his coma and stopped the gorilla by making a hammock that the gorilla climbed into and fell asleep so WW went outside to take in some sunshine but it was raining. He made an umbrella out of twigs and leaves in a flower bed at the hospital but an owl got pissed off that WW had wakened him from a nap then proceeded to swoop down and clamp his talons into WW's neck. Now Woods did not bleed to death because as fate would have it another hunk of space junk fell from the sky and bashed him on the head and he landed on his back and the rain falling from the sky nearly drowned him. A nurse found him laying there and rushed him back inside where he was placed in an ER room until a bed in ICU became available and some skitzophrenic guy thought WW was Bigfoot and stabbed him to death.

Or perhaps I made all that up because secretly Woods Walker was actually working for the CIA and the cause of his demise is a government secret that won't be unsealed until the year 2069.

Last edited:

jrgold

Enlightened
Very creative @bykfixer, what's certain is WW is on to his next great adventure, and will definitely make the most of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had wondered why fewer posts and videos from WW, and at some later time run into posts mentioning his passing. With many things on my mind and needs to attend to, only now did I find this thread.

Indeed I wish to offer my deepest condolences to his family, and note my own sadness. He was a great person in real life and a valued member of our community here.

I hope that he will be offered peace in the hands of our Lord, His warm embrace welcoming him into His house, much like nature in all its bounty welcomed WW as one of her own. I do not think that it will matter whether, as seems likely, WW was a non-believer. All are welcome to the house of the Lord who are kind of spirit, generous and loving, even unto strangers.

From WW many contributions, I benefited from and remember several.

His approach to flashlights was one of curiosity, and he brought a practical, even experimental mind to the flashlight hobby. He played with Malkoff's and SF's and other similar lights, LEGO'ing them with abandon. Different battery configurations, and packing options were his playground. He tested practically, giving us many runtime tests. His lights were used, and used well, the opposite of a shelf-queen.

To camping, he brought an amazing attitude of walking tirelessly, yet carrying all that was necessary to defeat, and even thrive in, wet, snowy, and dark conditions.

He would pull a sled, necessary to carry all the weight.

He would bring a stove, and light all-night fires keeping his tent warm. And who can forget his huge bacon meals? 8,000 calories or more.

I recall he had a weight problem at some earlier time, and perhaps a heart condition--my guess at what ultimately took his life. He fought and brought the weight down, and unlike most of us, kept it down. Love of nature and healthy living go hand-in-hand.

Unmarried, he made nature his companion. In his brief 50 years, he packed more life than many of us manage in several more.

You will be missed, dear friend. Yet you will live on here, in our digital home-away-from-home. May the servers keep humming in some basement, keeping your memory alive for all who care to search for it.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eloquent post.

WW spurred me into getting more fire igniters than maybe needed. I thank him.
Do you remember the video where he used a rock he found in the woods to make sparks then fire? The deep woods cold-of-winter videos are remarkable.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think we know how woods walker died.
I found his videos and posts to be great. He often was camping not far from where I live.
I will remember how he lived.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Woods Walkers video on the Malkoff MD3 that showed its multiple battery configurations was one that has stuck with me for a long time now...he was a gem.

Bacon and eggs are one of the true pleasures of my life...all things in moderation...

nbp

Flashaholic
Feel free to start another thread about whatever you want, but this thread, meant to memorialize a kind and helpful member of our community, will not be used as a place to argue or victim shame. If you want to leave a kind post that would be wonderful. If not, just hit that back button and find another thread. Further OT bickering will be deleted quickly and without warning. This is as tactful as I could make this post, so please don't push the staff on this... we are a little sensitive as Kevin was a fine Mod here.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
A number of posts were recently deleted by staff, but frankly I'm a little surprised that so many members wanted to dignify the recent post by engaging & responding to it.

There are some situations where a dialog might come in useful, but sometimes just letting things sit on their own 'merit' can effectively demonstrate as well.

Thank you all & Best regards,

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] Do you remember the video where he used a rock he found in the woods to make sparks then fire? The deep woods cold-of-winter videos are remarkable.
Something like that is right up my alley; I confess to normally being too busy to look through videos, but if anyone knows of this one in particular I'd be happy to watch it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Get busy livin' or get busy diein'.
- Red

WW chose the better one, albeit he left us too soon while making the best of the brief time we have on this 3rd rock from the sun.
RIP sir.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wow! I actually missed this topic completely back when it was created. Can't believe he's gone. Truly a great guy who was open and honest. I respected him for that. He never put on airs, never thought of himself as better than others. Genuinely going to miss him.

Rest In Peace.