review: Fenix TK 16

grinsefalle

Enlightened
-- for submission in the reviews forum --

Shortly, Fenix startet a global testing campaign for their new tactical flashlight Fenix TK16. I filled out the form and was accepted as a tester.
My sample was shipped by the German main Fenix distributor flashlightshop.de.

Thanks a lot to Fenix and the FLS!

FENIX TK16

First, I will talk about the TK16 and at the end I want to compare it to the Klarus XT11 to show some differences.

Please note: There will be beamshots as well, I hope to have them ready until sunday. And please apologize the basic English or the wrong use of some words, it is not my native language.

technical data provided by Fenix

Cree XML2 U2 led
1x18650 or 2xCR123
hard anodized aluminium
140mm length x 34mm head diameter x 25mm body diameter
122 grams weight
IPX8

ANSI-measurements:
1000/400/150/10 lumens; strobe with variable frequency and 1000

lumens
runtimes 1h10min/3h25min/10h/150h
240m distance with 14480cd

this is included in the package: flashlight, lanyard, holster, spare o-ring, manual, warranty information

size/finish/workmanship.

Regarding the size, the TK16 is comparable to other tactical flashlights powered by 1x18650. The body has the standard 1-inch-diameter, so that you can use your existing mounts for picatinny or something like that.
The TK16 has a dark black finish, which is absolutely even all over the light. A small pictogramm and the serial number are laser engraved in the head, but kind of faint. The name and model of the flashlight are engraved much more destinctive. But this is just a cosmetic shortcoming.

The bezel has the same black as the light itself. It is made of the same material as the head (no steel) and it is not removable. There is some crennulations on it, so you can see whether the light is on or not, if you leave the TK standing on its head.

The clip is just clipped to the body, it is not screwed. It is quite sturdy, but I personally would not entrust my flashlight to such a clip. A holster is the much better kind of carrying such a light. The gripring sits tight on the TK, there is no movement at all. If you want to remove it, you have to unscrew the tailcap and remove an o-ring. this is kind of tricky, because the o-ring sits in a small notch and it takes some time to get it out there without some tools. So removing of the gripring takes more time than just a few seconds.

If the gripring is removed and the tailcap back on the flashlight, the threads of the ring are unconcealed and prone to dirt. If you want to reinstall the gripring, you will have to clean the threads. The tailcap has both switches and a single flange, where the lanyard can be fixed. Tailstand is not possible.

The tailcap and the body are both checkered. But there is some big difference on both checkerings. The tailcap is much more slippery than the body. the chekcering of the body is a bit more aggressive, but for me it provides not the rate of grip that I would like to have. In my opinion, the best checkerings I had until now are on the old barbolight flashlights, a nightpower light and the EDEN TDL20. If the user removes clip and gripring, the TK16 is able to roll. There is no effective anti-roll feature.

What I like is the inner part of the tailcap. Most of the flashlights have an retaining ring inside the tailcap which often comes loose. As a result the light will start to flicker, fail to change modes or some similar behaviour. In the TK16 there is no screwed retaining ring. The golden piece of metal, which holds the tailcap guts in place has some kind of bayonet catch, which should stay in place forever.

To summarize, the TK16 is a very high quality flashlight, as Fenix is well-known for this. The TK16 just feels like top-quality from the fist moment on.

led/beam

The XML2 is perfectly centered in an smooth reflector. You get a well defined spot, where max of the light is concentrated, and a low spill beam, which is fine for conserving you peripheral vision.

Beamshots will be added soon!

energy

The TK16 is best fed with a single 18650. 2xCR123 are possible, too. The latter are a good backup solution, since they keep their voltage over many years. If your agency doesn't provide these batteries, the 18650 lithium ion rechargeable will save a lot of money.
Both ends in the TK are spring-loaded to minimize the chance of damaging you li-ion, when the TK is dropped or by the recoil of your gun.
There is no PWM, the TK is current controlled in every mode.

user interface

The ui is nothing new. As far as I know, Klarus was the first one with this kind of ui, then Nitecore and Fenix did it, too.
There are 2 switches on the tailcap. S1 is a normal forward clicky switch. You don't need to press it a long way, after about 1mm you will get momentary on, after about 3-4mm the switch will latch. It has medium-hard resistance.
Beneath the S1, on a flattened part of the tailcap, there is a second switch S2. This S2 is an electronic push button, which has an feelable pressure point an an audible click.

S1 has just these functions: on and off. Halfpress will give you momentary on, full press constant on. You can press it as fast and as long as you want, there will be no effect on you modes.
S2 will control your strobe and your constant lighting modes. This S2 is relatively small, so it can be difficult to find, especially with gloves on and in some high stress situations.

If the TK16 is off:
Press S1 to switch your light on in the last used mode. Press again Press and hold S2 to get momentary-only strobe with variable frequency. The strobe is very fast and annoying! If you let S2 go, the TK16 will be off. Strobe will not latch on if startet from off.

If the TK16 is on:
A short press on S2 will change your modes from low-mid-high-turbo-low... If you press and hold S2 for about 1,5 seconds, you will get constand strobe. press S2 again to switch back in your constant light mode. Press S1 to switch the TK16 off.

The TK16 has a memory function, it will memorize your last used light setting. Strobe will not be saved.
For example: You are using the low mode. Then you go to constant strobe and switch of you flashlight. Next time you bring it on, the Fenix will start in low mode. This memory can not be deactivted.

This is my big complaint about the TK16. I am looking at the TK16 against the background of a duty flashlight for an European/German police officer. I don't know, how US LEO's are working, but I am police officer in Germany, so I can rate the light with this in mind. I rate the TK16, if it is an appropriate flashlight for the officers on our streets with our kind of job to do (no SWAT or hostage rescue teams, they will have some other requirements to a flashlight).

People who know me from the German Messerforum, they know that I am a big opponent of these memory functions in a duty flashlight. I am convinced, that a duty flashlight has(!) to start in high mode every single time, regardless of the last used mode.
Just an example: The officer does a traffic check. He uses high mode to check the car and the driver. When he is sure, that the situation is under control, he uses low mode to read and check the drivers documents. We assume, that the driver is a normal and friendly person and there is absolutely no complaint. The officer will give the documents back (after checking them in the computer system). Here I see the chance, that the officer puts the flashlight back in its holster without switching it back to high mode - maybe he was distracted by talking to the driver. The nex moment the officer gets
an emergency call, leaves his patrol car on the scene and immediately needs full power light, because he has contact to the suspect. But the light itself is still in low mode....
And it is kind of difficult to find the small strobe switch in this high stress situation.

Sure, you can train hard and every day, that you have to switch your flashlight back to high mode before putting it back into the holster, but there is more chance of a failure compared to flashlights starting in high mode every time.

accessories

Fenix is offering rail mounts, filters, remote pressure switches, cones and all the stuff you need. The included holster is kind of flimsy, it will not stand the hard use in police duty for a long time. You need to look for a suitable holster by yourself.

You can use the Maxpedition 5" flashlight sheath. The TK16 will fit bezel-up or bezel-down, even with the gripring installed.

There is a ESP LHU holster, which will fit (I don't know exactly, if you need the 34mm or the 37mm holster). This holster is suitable for officers wearing uniform, plain-clothes officers will need a sleaker holster like the maxpedition.

Fenix has the ALP-MT holster, which will fit the TK16. This holster is identical to the tasmanian tiger sheath, inexpensive and high quality.

my personal conclusion:

Fenix does have very goot flashlights. The TK16 is one of them. High quality, the machining is very good, the electronic omponents are top notch (no pwm, a lot of power). But there is this memory function, which I have a big problem with. I have a bad feeling, if I had to recommend this good flashlight to a police officer.

grinsefalle

Enlightened
comparison Klarus XT11-Fenix TK16

So, let's take a look at some differences between the two flashlights. The XT11 is about 15mm longer than the TK16, its head is about 1mm wider than the Fenix' head. Both are very well machined. The Klarus' gripring is moveable, the one of the Fenix is fixed.
The bezel ring of the XT11 is made of steel and can be removed (without the lens falling out), the Fenix bezel is fixed.
The ckeckering on the Fenix' body is better than on its own tailcap and on the klarus.

The XT11 has a orange peel reflector, therefor the beam is smoother than the Fenix'. But the spot of the TK16 is more defined.
The Tk16 has more power and the same brightness in all configurations (18650 and CR123). The XT11 has more power when used with 2xCR123,
with 1x18650 you have about 100 lumens less. The TK16 is current controlled in every mode, the Klarus uses pwm.

Both light have a similar user interface.
The Klarus has a bigger S2 with its switch cover. It is much easier to find and press as the one on the Fenix. Klarus has no memory mode and starts in high every single time you switch it on.

conclusion:
Both flashlights are very well made, they have small differences, which are not crucial. The electronic components of the TK16 are better than the Klarus ones (no pwm, more power, better use of 18650), but the user interface of the Klarus is above the Fenix' (better and bigger switch, no memory).

My personal favorite is the Klarus, because the ui is more critical than 150 lumens.

grinsefalle

Enlightened
Here are some beamshots.

First setting: the courtyard. Distance to the garage is about 23m.

Second setting: the warehouse. Looking upstairs, distance to the first floor is about 7m.

Third setting: the same warehouse, now we are looking downstairs. Distance to the backmost storage rack is about 10m.
These pictures are intentionally with the handrail inside the cone of light and the shadows on the ground. Just like the real life.
Pay attention to how easy a bright flashlight produces backsplash (even of small objects), blind yourself or lights up your position.

Last setting: the forest. All flashlights were pointed at the group of trees in about 80m distance. In the first set, the camera and the lights were side by side, in the second set the flashlights were positioned about 1,5m in front of the camera.

Last edited:

RCLumens

Enlightened
Thank you for the awesome review!! The TK16 seems like a pretty awesome light! I in fact prefer the memory mode, so this seems pretty good. Just which it had a bit more throw to compete with the Olight M22 & Eagletac g25c2 mkii. Thank you also for the awesome beamshots!

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast

"What I like is the inner part of the tailcap. Most of the flashlights have an retaining ring inside the tailcap which often comes loose. As a result the light will start to flicker, fail to change modes or some similar behaviour. In the TK16 there is no screwed retaining ring. The golden piece of metal, which holds the tailcap guts in place has some kind of bayonet catch, which should stay in place forever."

This is interesting to me. I wonder if it works really well if they'll do this style of catch piece instead of a ring in the future for all their lights. Or is it still a retaining ring, but with this extra piece above it? I don't think the retaining ring in their lights usually comes loose by itself often, but it can be a problem if you undo it then try to re-tighten it. I had that problem with my LD20 years ago. Especially if you don't have the right bent nose pliers or another tool to do it properly.

grinsefalle

Enlightened
I made the experience, that these retaining rings come loose in several flashlights. This happens over time, when you often change your rechargeables (so you unscrew and reinstall the tailcap regularly). Right now, the flashlight is fairly new, so I will need some use time :) Of course I will report in this thread, when I have any findings regarding this tailcap design.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've a few Fenix, not one has come loose.
Olight has same switch, never become loose yet either.

What light are you specifically referring to of Fenix?

grinsefalle

Enlightened
I've a few Fenix, not one has come loose.
Olight has same switch, never become loose yet either.

What light are you specifically referring to of Fenix?

I saw it on a PD32 and a TK22(?).. not sure about the second one. It happend to Klarus or Solarforce, too.
If you screw your tailcap very tight, the retaining ring may come loose a just a little bit due to friction. If you are changing your batteries very often (unscrewing and reinstalling the tailcap), then it may happen.

It is not on every flashlight and it didn't happen all the time. But I saw it and thought, it was worth mentioning, that Fenix had this new tailcap design.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got 2 original "850" PD35's 2 of the 2014 versions, the UC35 and the new TAC. I have them stashed everywhere and have used the heck out of them. I mean out in the rain, dropped them into gutters that washed into sewers etc. One of the original 850's half died half the modes stopped working (Fenix fixed this turn around time was an astonishing 11 days) and the other 3 basic 35's had their retaining rings come loose on a semi regular basis. Have been using them long enough to know when to check the rings etc. and know to keep the contact points clean. I am really liking the switch guts on this new Fenix. Have had all 3 TK22's and abused them all yet none of them had a single issue....weird.

sanders

Newly Enlightened
Nice review - I am also on the testers list and published a review in German on the TLF Forum.

take care,
Michael

grinsefalle

Enlightened
@Labrador72, bright star, Raysbeam, akhyar, RCLumens, jsholli..
Thanks for your kind words!

Nice review - I am also on the testers list and published a review in German on the TLF Forum.
take care,
Michael

I am no member of the TLF, but I have read your review. Great work!

BTW, Fenix and Klarus got the links to the review. Maybe they listen to customers... and Fenix implements an option to deactivate the memory function and Klarus improves their electronic components in future models :)

Michael

sdmf74

Newly Enlightened
Will any Li-ion 18650 do? (I vape so I have a bunch of em samsung 25r, LGHG2/HE2, Pan. 3400mah etc.) Or is it recommended to use "protected" 18650's?