Review of Nitecore MH20

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main criticism of the MH20 is its runtime at "50 lumens". A true 50-70 lumens is a kind of "Goldilocks" level which combines excellent runtime with plenty of light for many uses. Unfortunately, I have found that the MH20's 50 lumens is more like 100+ lumens. WarRaven estimates it at 120 lumens. (See his link above)

By comparison, the Nitecore P12's true 70 lumens (Selfbuilt) gives you 28 hours, nearly twice the runtime of the MH20's "50 lumens". Nitecore's mis-labeling is puzzling. Could it be an attempt to boost sales? To the uninitiated, the MH20 may seem brighter than other lights at the "same" lumen settings, an impossibility that non-CPF'ers might not grasp.

I'll admit to some frustration about this. I was hoping to make the MH20 my EDC, but may end up with the longer,(but slimmer) P12.

Brightnorm

I agree with what you have written but I do use the MH20 now as my EDC. My second choice would be my Eagletac G25C2 MKii. But for everyday the MH20 is much easier to carry. :)

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree mostly too, though built in USB charger relieves some stress.
Yes I still feel it's cranking out the lumens, at least we've an idea of that here on CPF.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I'm wondering...
Anyone running their MH20 on RCR123 or 18350?

Then of course next question, any notable difference other then minutes of run time?

Could probably use it to thaw frozen door locks in a pinch, idk 🔥

eh123456

Newly Enlightened
I love to try this light, but it can't use flat top 18650 ? Hum..... all my 18650's are unprotected Panasonic 3100 :(

akhyar

Enlightened
You can always drop a blop of solder on top of your unprotected cell if you know how to do it, or get a small magnet that can attach to the flat top cell +ve connection. My local flashlight dealer sells the magnet for about $1/pc or you can buy it online

Budda

Enlightened
Hope you don't mind Budda.

I meant to post here initially.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/4735802
Thoughts anyone?

I don't own a lightbox, but what I did is measuring the lux at a fixed distance from the light, and then comparing the number. This is what I got
1,00%
10,00%
32,00%
54,00%
100,00%

What you got is: 100%, 62.5%, 40%, 10%, 1%.
I used a ET 2500mAh, if you used an IMR or a low internal resistance cell, your results may be explainable.

I have recently acquired a good luxmeter, I'll redo this test with it also using a fresh cell.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own a lightbox, but what I did is measuring the lux at a fixed distance from the light, and then comparing the number. This is what I got
1,00%
10,00%
32,00%
54,00%
100,00%

What you got is: 100%, 62.5%, 40%, 10%, 1%.
I used a ET 2500mAh, if you used an IMR or a low internal resistance cell, your results may be explainable.

I have recently acquired a good luxmeter, I'll redo this test with it also using a fresh cell.
Right on, I'm so looking forward to your results.
Mine could be skewered from higher CD is my thought, but run times kind of back my thoughts on outputs.
That is not factual by any means, but what I'm believing.
I'm toying between two cells, both 3200, one is lmr other is protected. I did get higher readings on lmr, but figured it's my set up not being consistent.

+1 for looking into this.
Cheers☺

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since side switches is notoriously difficult to find in the dark quickly, can the side button locator blink function be kept on all the time whenever I turn the light off or do I have to do something to make it work each time I'm about to turn the light off?

Budda

Enlightened
I broke my MH20, but If I remember correctly, you have to do a short half press each time you turn the light off.
I find side switches easy to find, especially if aligned with the clip.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x16340 or 18350 should work. The manual does say it accepts 2x16340's so hmmmm....now I am eyeballing my 2 fresh red Efest 18350's. I tried regular CR123's and boy did the light get hot fast

Just stuck 2 freshly charged red 800mah Efest 18350's into it and so far it has not burst into flames etc. Will really have to wait for nightfall but output does seem up

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I broke my MH20, but If I remember correctly, you have to do a short half press each time you turn the light off.

I guess, half press does switch modes :) You need a full press to turn on/off a MH20.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since side switches is notoriously difficult to find in the dark quickly, can the side button locator blink function be kept on all the time whenever I turn the light off or do I have to do something to make it work each time I'm about to turn the light off?

Is it so hard to half press a light in off position?

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

2xRCR123, right? :) I guess 8.4V is too much for the driver. It simply burns out the circuitry.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x16340 or 18350 should work. The manual does say it accepts 2x16340's so hmmmm....now I am eyeballing my 2 fresh red Efest 18350's. I tried regular CR123's and boy did the light get hot fast

Just stuck 2 freshly charged red 800mah Efest 18350's into it and so far it has not burst into flames etc. Will really have to wait for nightfall but output does seem up

Some people like the world of unknown :) The light is rated 6V max.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the manual says 2x16340 is okay so 8.4v would seemingly be its max. Odd...Ive got two fresh 18350's in my standard MH20 right now and for some reason it yes cranks like hell but does not get scalding hot like it did on 2xCR123's. Hmmmm

Budda

Enlightened
I guess, half press does switch modes :) You need a full press to turn on/off a MH20.
Half press after you turn the light off to turn on the locator

Is it so hard to half press a light in off position?
I would like to be a "memorized" setting.

Don't know why you should switch from 18650 to 2xRCR o 2x18350: you get less capacity and loose the charging feature.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I that stupid or Nitecore's web designer? Tried to ask a question:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Budda

Enlightened
Just take a look at the manual on Nitecore website: RCR are compatible but not rechargeable

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
2x18350 in my XML2 MH20 has thus far worked great. A bump in output but not as much as one might hope for. Run time? About the same as a 1600mah 18650. One thing I noticed is that with the output bump the tint color actually seems to have gone whiter for some reason. Also cool yet kind of odd is that the 2xred Efest 800mah 18350's I put inside it just have yet to get hot. Kind of unnerves me. Tonights experiment 2x700mah Orbtronic 16340. Oh gotta note that I had been running an unprotected GA in the light which worked great.

Okay...I have NO idea why but 2x16340's do indeed work but the light gets hot FAST. For some reason the red Efest 18350's barely get warm. The 18350's do indeed give an odd out put boost on the top two settings and the tint is now white while the lower 3 have gone near NW. Very strange. This is the base XML2 MH20 I am working with...oh and its flat top Efests. Tried my button tops and the light will not screw shut all the way.

Last edited:

Latest posts