Review: The BitZ, Excellent EDC Light (Updated)

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine yesterday from Lighthound -great service - 2 days! The machining on the light is fantastic and you can tell there was time taken to make this. I really like the grippy knurling and it makes it very easy to turn the light on with one hand without slipping. HAIII matches perfectly on mine (And I am not one who makes a big deal if there is some slight mismatch). The color is a nice dark natural and is very close to the color of my NDI. Next to the NDI the Bitz looks better machined.

The tint is a very nice white and does not dissappoint. The emitter is perfectly centered. Looking down the reflector gives the impression that the emitter must be at an optimal focus point as the entire reflector becomes the phospor color. The reflector is also the largest that can fit in the head without any signs of the edges visible and looks good. The beam is smooth. I personally prefer the beam of the Cree emitters with a defined hot circle and spill as opposed to the SSC with more of a cone profile - but it is nice. A lot of other high end lights use the SSC.

I was afraid the bezel might be a little too much and did not really care for it. However, it is actually less noticable in real word and adds class to the light and I like it. The color of the titanium compliments the color of the HAIII. The light is nice and small making it very easy to pocket carry - similar in size to the IncenDio but shorter.

This is a first class light and I like it a lot. Very well made. Things to improve are as many others have stated - put the low-low in the main setting (but also keep the low). It is nice to have the low-low and I can see using it a lot.

Now - If an AA version comes out that is identical but slimmer!!!!!! I am all over that!! I really like the look of this light.

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the grippy knurling and it makes it very easy to turn the light on with one hand without slipping.

Yeah, me too. Also, it can be used with gloves for work or during winter (great for northern people...).

Now - If an AA version comes out that is identical but slimmer!!!!!! I am all over that!! I really like the look of this light.

A CR2 body would also be nice...

Patriot

Flashaholic
Thanks regulator for the review and specific details. I like your comments about the led centering, the bezel and the machining.

I'm looking forward to getting mine tomorrow.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm sitting here holding and inspecting the intricate details of my new BitZ and I'm thoroughly impressed thus far. The last light that I was this impressed with regarding machining, fit and finish was the Jil Eznite 10W HID. This reminds me a lot of that light when I look at the detail and attention that went into it. I feel like I acquired a custom light but at a high end production cost...like purchasing a Surefire or something.

I keep trying to find a flaw or something that I don't like about the light but I can't. I like the slim, non-belt friendly pocketclip, the nicely machined ti bezel. It's very understated which I like. I like the color and quality of the HA. I was worried about the comments about the knurling but it's not nearly as course as I has suspected and in fact, I consider it to be perfect. It a very fine cut, maybe 50 lines per inch, which I love. The perfectly machined grooves around the body further aid in retention. The head is very smooth to operation and the treads are perfectly cut and very clean. It looks as those the factory or Lighthound as put some Nyogel on the threads and o-ring. This was the first light that I didn't have to clean upon arrival besides Surefire. The trit slot is a neat bonus and I guess we'll have to work on getting some for our lights now. I'm very happy that BitZ close to go with a thin walled light. I'm looking at it sitting next to my Novatac and the looks huge and fat. I really appreciate the slim and trim design that they choose. I really get the feeling that this light was designed by a light enthusiast with similar tastes to my own. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

:thumbsup:

Thanks, Lighthound for fast and flawless service as always.

Paul

Bitz001.jpg

Bitz003.jpg

Bitz002.jpg

Bitz004.jpg

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pictures Patriot. Nice comparison next to the Novatac. You know, I think the Novatac has such a great UI (one of the best im my opinion) and is a great light. I have not purchased one though just because of the size. I think it is just too fat to comfortably pocket carry day in and out. I like lights that are as compact as possible for the type of battery they require. If a light is big it better be due to using a more powerful battery like a 18650 or something.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The Novatac is bulky and even the low-pro pocket clip sucks imo. I still love the light because it's robust, works with RCR's, great UI, and best switch available. That said. I can see me carrying the BitZ far more often now.

patycake57

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a replacement for my P1DCE EDC, and it looks like the BitZ would fit the bill quite nicely. Does anyone know if there are plans for putting the low-low into the main selection? That would push me over the edge.

patycake57

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the links regarding HgRyu's plans. I didn't know that thread existed. I'll be watching it with great interest.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have to say that I typically like the Cree beam profile with a good OP reflector. I really like my NDI beam and color with the Cree Q5 WC emitter. I think it is the throw ability that makes you think the light is putting out a bit more light than another. It also still has a good spill pattern.

I think this preference may be based on previously having a Liteflux LF3 with SSC (which I ended up selling). The light had an unusually deep reflector. The beam was a very small hotspot with kinda a cone beam pattern. I also notices that the smooth reflector was not very shiny and kinda dull. It did not have any artifacts in its beam. I now have a LF2X which is a Cree light and is a FANTASTIC AAA light with great beam and tint.

However, last night I was using the BitZ to light an area to view some outside work that I have been doing and the SSC really did a great job of providing a nice coverage beam without the noticably brighter hotspot to attract your eyes. It was apparent that the SSC beam was much better for this type of work. So now I think the SSC emitter may be more useful in a smaller light that does not have to illuminate objects far away. It kinda has a wide throw beam as apposed to either a flood or a hotspot. It is a balance somewhere in between.

I'll be going camping soon so I will try them out. I think that the BitZ will actually be better for walking dark trails by providing a broader beam than lights than have the brighter hotspot (but with still a usable spill pattern). We shall see.

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
a bit off topic.
I have a Amilite Cuty XRE and the beam pattern is almost identical to my Novatac 120-T.
The Cuty XRE is a twisty too & a single mode.

amilite left
P6180917.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I thought I'd post the BitZ with a couple of comparison lights to illustrate the difference between the beam shapes.

The lights:
Surefire L1 Cree
Novatac 120T
Bitz

All the lights are being powered by AW RCR123 cells and all lights are set to high output. Beamshots were taken at 5 feet at the same exposure.

Surefire L1 Cree
Bitz008.jpg

Novatac 120T
Bitz009.jpg

BitZ
Bitz010.jpg

The Bitz isn't quite as bright as the Novatac but it's close in overall output and have a very nice, even beam pattern. It's a great indoor light or close range task light. It does well outside too but lacks the out right throw of the other two lights.

Last edited: