Review: ThruNite TN42 LED Searchlight

Capolini

Banned
Re: TN40 or TN42 or TN42c

If you want a bit more flood in addition to good throw, also check out the Acebeam K60. The TN42 is pretty much useless if you don't specifically need amazing throw, because the beam is very narrow.

Here's a comparison

dJ8826h.gif

This may represent the tightness of the TN42 beam[maybe your main interest?], but it is NOT a good representative of the peripheral/spill/ light that the TN42, EC60 and certainly the others have.

I have the EC60 and it is much brighter than this. I am getting the TN42vn and I am sure it has more peripheral light than this represents.

I am guessing you had your camera set this way on purpose?

My 2 cents!

maukka

Enlightened

Since the dynamic range of a camera is limited, I had to adjust the shutter speed so that the hotspot on the TN42 on a white wall was not overexposed. In reality the spill is much brighter. This was just to demonstrate the relative differences of the hotspots. And of course to give an idea of how much more intensity there is on the TN42 vs. all the others.

druidmars

Enlightened

Can anyone who owns this light tell how would this compare with the now old school Olight SR90 considering throw but also flood? Thank you.

Mezz

Newly Enlightened

Amazon has tn42 ED for sale.. what's the ED stand for?

Mezz

Newly Enlightened

Ok.. although the decription says XHP35 hi.. wanted to make sure its not a XHP35 HD or something. . Heh

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened

Amazon has tn42 ED for sale.. what's the ED stand for?
I've no clue. I think the other guy's guesses are pretty good though. :) There are only the TN42 and the TN42C (rechargeable) models. I'm sure the "ED" designation is something that seller came up with.

Theodore41

Enlightened

I've no clue. I think the other guy's guesses are pretty good though. :) There are only the TN42 and the TN42C (rechargeable) models. I'm sure the "ED" designation is something that seller came up with.

If you look at https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...as=aps&field-keywords=thrunite+tn42,comparing the writings of the first two lights,you see that it is written ED for the first,but LED for the second.It is what made me write that it is a mistake.They had to write LED and wrote ED instead.

Thanks JM. I myself found it lighting a section of a commercial Class-A highrise tower from 800 meters or exactly 0.5 mile. This was under night streetlight conditions so I can identify and affirm your beamshot pic at 1213 meters. So helpful!!!

totobel

Newly Enlightened
Just inserted 2 batteries (vtc6) in the wrong direction : massive shortshut, massive heat that melted the springs (probably saved the battery)

Could anyone explain me why such a behaviour ?
Its 2S2P but how can it shortcut anything ?
Can it happen again or was it a defect battery holder ?

Thanks

Latest posts