REVolutionary New Floodlight-REV Captor

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little surprised you went with XML2 over the MTG2 for a flood application?

A high CRI or even a red LED, plus MTG2 LEDs would potentially add to the total output and the total flood, etc.

Is finding a hi CRI MTG2 and/or mixing MTG2 and XML2, etc, a driver issue?

The driver was part of the consideration. The other consideration was balancing the various attributes of this light. While it is a flooder I wanted to create something that had at least some punch to it so that I could light up large areas not just have a ton of light right at your feet. I needed the originating beam to be fairly tight to achieve my goals in finding just the right balance.

makapuu

Enlightened
The wrap around feature sounds similar to fluorescent lighting. It doesn't cast a hard defined shadow, the lines are sorta blurred.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
This light could potentially be very useful to me, as I use flashlights for lighting my professional architectural photography images, and hotspots are of course a problem. However I would need to know specifically what the color temp is measured at. My photos are always a blend of natural light, existing light, and the light I add, so color temp is key. Thank you.

Capolini

Banned
Looks like a well thought out and a specially designed light. Congratulations!

I got my first modded light from you! I can not tell you how many I have now!. They are all Throwers,,,not much of a flood enthusiast.

It was the TN31mb, 470Kcd! I got it at the best time. When you were not making them anymore and I got an updated LED[XPG-S2]!!!! :thumbsup:

Best of luck w/ this light and future endeavors! :)

Whitecaps

Newly Enlightened
I already drank the cool aid. My third light from Michael. Sometimes a wait but always worth it..

No bacon will really be nice on this thread. Order is in.

toby

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I think there is a CPF malfunction. I thought I clicked on the OMG Lumens/OneStopThrowShop. Not sure what is going on. Maybe Greta can sort out this misplaced thread?

LOL!

Dude!

Stop blowing our minds.

I'm trying to wrap my head around using a light where the "bad guys" and "coyotes" see me coming a mile away. Also concerned about urban use with car drivers being blinded on streets, and luminous home invasion 911 calls.

A very unique product, however.

Capolini

Banned
A few more thoughts here. Although I am not a flood enthusiast, I am amazed at what you created!

Your creativity, ingenuity, patience for perfection and skill level are very impressive.:)

I watched your video twice. Once by myself and once w/ my roommate. She commented that you reminded her of her College professor[compliment],,,great speaker and very informative with explanations simplified.

After seeing the playground demonstration near the end of your video [long] my first thoughts were amazement and astonishment. Then in immediate fashion I thought, this light has an unbelievable peripheral light range.Although my road walks are in low populated areas[farm land], this amazing peripheral light would light up peoples property as I walk by! Similar concerns as LuxLuther.

I feel it would be great for hiking, not so practical for walking my Siberian where there is any population.

That is just for me. It does not take away your accomplishment. The light certainly has its appropriate applications. :thumbsup:

hikingman

Enlightened
A few more thoughts here. Although I am not a flood enthusiast, I am amazed at what you created!

Your creativity, ingenuity, patience for perfection and skill level are very impressive.:)

I watched your video twice. Once by myself and once w/ my roommate. She commented that you reminded her of her College professor[compliment],,,great speaker and very informative with explanations simplified.

After seeing the playground demonstration near the end of your video [long] my first thoughts were amazement and astonishment. Then in immediate fashion I thought, this light has an unbelievable peripheral light range.Although my road walks are in low populated areas[farm land], this amazing peripheral light would light up peoples property as I walk by! Similar concerns as LuxLuther.

I feel it would be great for hiking, not so practical for walking my Siberian where there is any population.

That is just for me. It does not take away your accomplishment. The light certainly has its appropriate applications. :thumbsup:

Capo - I'm having a hard time with the logic here. You and Lux have flooders as blindingly dangerous around cars and, by inference, a thrower with its hot center beam as safe (OK some exaggeration here for fun). Flooders can be "aimed" too (as in away from people) and throwers also have spill light to contend with. And it has a variable control ring so you can throttle it down when people are around. When I walk sidewalks at night, with cars and other people around, I can keep any light reasonably out of interference if I'm careful, as I should be.

But I am most blown away by your comment I placed in bold. I just can't see why a flooder, set to a proper brightness and aimed down, wouldn't be an excellent light. But I concede that I don't know how you and your wonderful Siberian go about your walks. We all have different ways.

Dave

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Capo - I'm having a hard time with the logic here. You and Lux have flooders as blindingly dangerous around cars and, by inference, a thrower with its hot center beam as safe (OK some exaggeration here for fun). Flooders can be "aimed" too (as in away from people) and throwers also have spill light to contend with. And it has a variable control ring so you can throttle it down when people are around. When I walk sidewalks at night, with cars and other people around, I can keep any light reasonably out of interference if I'm careful, as I should be.

But I am most blown away by your comment I placed in bold. I just can't see why a flooder, set to a proper brightness and aimed down, wouldn't be an excellent light. But I concede that I don't know how you and your wonderful Siberian go about your walks. We all have different ways.

Dave

I never said it would not be an excellent light! It is,,,just not practical for every application. I understand your thinking/logic of turning it down,,,,,,,in my mind I would have to continually do that and not be able to enjoy MAX like I love to!

Very simple!! Did you watch the LONG video. Did you see how it displays a tremendous angle[170 degrees I believe ?] of peripheral light.

I do not think that people would be happy with me lighting up the front lawns and house when I walk by!!! Probably on both sides of the road! :eek:

I am still intrigued by it. Wish I lived in the mts. where all my walks were in the semi wilderness. I would love to see it in that environment. Unfortunately for me, I can no longer back pack or put any weight[not even 3 Lbs.] on my back because of cervical and lumbar spine problems.

Capolini

Banned
To hikingman:

I just talked to Michael.The first thing he said after "Hi" was that he was at Taco Bell.I said hello and then told him I was concerned about his health!!!

There is another[better than lowering output!] solution for the 170 degrees of peripheral light when walking buy someones house. Turn the angle of the flashlight 1/4 of a turn and that will distribute the light straight ahead instead of East/West.

Some of you may understand this.

This is not practical or logical thinking on my part. I have 31 lights and I am out of work again but I still WANT THIS LIGHT! :shakehead

I did some more thinking with hikingmans influence and ultimately Michael's explanation and solution for my concerns w/ the 170 degrees of peripheral light!

Now it is up to me to go with "Logic" or "impulse".:thinking:

hikingman

Enlightened
I am still intrigued by it. Wish I lived in the mts. where all my walks were in the semi wilderness. I would love to see it in that environment. Unfortunately for me, I can no longer back pack or put any weight[not even 3 Lbs.] on my back because of cervical and lumbar spine problems.

I am so sorry to hear of back issues. I'm 71 and just finished a 3 mile morning walk in 45 minutes. All parts still working except for arthritic thumb that has hell of a time pushing in switch of MM15vn (the Tk75vn is childs play by comparison).

To hikingman:

I just talked to Michael.The first thing he said after "Hi" was that he was at Taco Bell.I said hello and then told him I was concerned about his health!!!

There is another[better than lowering output!] solution for the 170 degrees of peripheral light when walking buy someones house. Turn the angle of the flashlight 1/4 of a turn and that will distribute the light straight ahead instead of East/West.

I have 31 lights and I am out of work again but I still WANT THIS LIGHT! :shakehead

I did some more thinking with hikingmans influence and ultimately Michael's explanation and solution for my concerns w/ the 170 degrees of peripheral light!

Now it is up to me to go with "Logic" or "impulse".:thinking:

What! Michael at Taco Bell - he is supposed to be hard at work upgrading my Deft-X - Ol' Defecto. He should starve until it's done :) You are right about health - eating there IS close to starving!

"WANT THIS LIGHT!" is exactly what ran through my head when I saw it. Since I have fewer than 31 at the moment, I bought it!

Dave

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Guess what? I just had another conversation w/ Michael and had a few[!] more questions.

Impulse won over logic,,happens 9 out of 10 times!

:paypal: Transaction #4M4184927U776911X/INVOICE#0000001479

He told me I was the third "Robert" in a row to buy one!!!:laughing:

HIKINGMAN: Thanks for the kind words. I walk 7 miles a day w/ Capo and do stretches religiously 30 minutes/day. That helps.I just can not put any weight on my back,,,a lumbar around the waist pack is doable, but has its limitations and will bother me after awhile.

Last edited:

hikingman

Enlightened
Guess what? I just had another conversation w/ Michael and had a few[!] more questions.

Impulse won over logic,,happens 9 out of 10 times!

Transaction #4M4184927U776911X

He told me I was the third "Robert" in a row to buy one!!!:laughing:

HIKINGMAN: Thanks for the kind words. I walk 7 miles a day w/ Capo and do stretches religiously 30 minutes/day. That helps.I just can not put any weight on my back,,,a lumbar around the waist pack is doable, but has its limitations and will bother me after awhile.

Congrats - light #32 on its way? You mention your 30 minutes of stretches, something I have just got to do more of. Sometime PM me with info on the specific things you find best for you. I'd love to know.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just watched the longer video. The longer video really does help one to realize how useful and original this flashlight design is. I am very impressed by the video and photos. The difference in shadows of the Captor vs. the mule was very enlightening. :naughty: