REVolutionary New Floodlight-REV Captor

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome work. Thanks for the quick shipping. I'm looking forward to using this beast.

Thanks. I dropped them all off last night at our post office's 24hr drop box. Capolini made me aware that they hadn't been scanned in by the post office. Been watching it all day and still no updates. Bit annoyed with the USPS. Makes me nervous having thousands of dollars worth in lights not being acknowledged as accepted. grr

hikingman

Enlightened
:cool:,,,You were the first to buy,,,,reward ,,first to receive!!

When was your sent?!!! Tuesday or Wednesday?

I thought on Monday. Takes forever for anything to get to Eureka :)

EDIT: TRACKING: Shows USPS had on 06/17 and it has left San Francisco on its way north to Eureka tonight 06/19. Expected delivery Fri 06/20

Last edited:

panag

Enlightened
Thanks. I dropped them all off last night at our post office's 24hr drop box. Capolini made me aware that they hadn't been scanned in by the post office. Been watching it all day and still no updates. Bit annoyed with the USPS. Makes me nervous having thousands of dollars worth in lights not being acknowledged as accepted. grr
very nice job michael:thumbsup:

Capolini

Banned
THANK GOD!! After 30 hours some movement!!

June 19, 2014 , 8:58 pm Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility
DALLAS, TX 75260
Your item has been processed at the origin sort facility at 8:58 pm on June 19, 2014 in DALLAS, TX 75260.
June 19, 2014 , 7:43 pm Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility GARLAND, TX 75040

:thumbsup:

• Expected Delivery Day: Saturday, June 21, 2014 :)

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally showing up on the tracking. I called the post office twice today and he told me whoever pulled the boxes didn't scan them. Got scanned for the first time at a sort facility. :ironic: I can sleep better now at any rate.

Can't wait for the first reviews to come in. I also decided to send a light to selfbuilt so we have that to look forward to as well. I'm going to be trying to get some more photos to help everyone appreciate the soft shadow thing a little better and some shots of the main axis in a vertical position to allay the fears of some who worry about situations where the 170 degree beam could be too much. The answer as I mentioned to Capolini is simple. Just rotate the light a quarter turn and the beam will then be constrained in width. But pictures are worth a thousand words so I will try and get that sorted shortly.

hikingman

Enlightened
Look forward to trying it Fri evening if I actually get it. I especially look forward to seeing how the lowest settings work. Tonight, playing a little and being a bit inattentive, I very briefly disturbed a young woman walking the trail towards me about 75 feet away. I apologized to her but she got "hit" by the second level of a TK75vn (Domes On) for just a split second. Normally I would be on the lowest, which is still too bright for busy trails being used by others. I also wasn't aiming light down either. Had I been there an hour later like I will tomorrow, I'll have it all to myself (hopefully)!

Capolini

Banned
saabluster comment:

I also decided to send a light to selfbuilt so we have that to look forward to as well.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
saabluster comment:

I also decided to send a light to selfbuilt so we have that to look forward to as well.

I suppose, back in olden times, when REACHING across the WIDTH of a soccer field, etc, was a great achievement for an LED light, and beam profiles HAD TO be tighter to concentrate enough light to see anything in the beam, a road WAS a perfectly good standard field of view for beam shots.

As time progresses, the road would need to be significantly longer, and, many many more lanes wide....to have a chance at capturing the entire beam profile the newer lights can have.

The field that Goinggear started to use after the tested light's beams literally and figuratively outgrew his back yard, etc...is closer to what would be appropriate now a days. Who knows what will be appropriate in another 10 years.

:D

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
saabluster comment:

Great decision, Saabluster. That's what your lights need: good press! The world needs to know about these products. Putting them in the hands of people like Selfbuilt is a step in that direction.

hikingman

Enlightened
I suppose, back in olden times, when REACHING across the WIDTH of a soccer field, etc, was a great achievement for an LED light, and beam profiles HAD TO be tighter to concentrate enough light to see anything in the beam, a road WAS a perfectly good standard field of view for beam shots.

As time progresses, the road would need to be significantly longer, and, many many more lanes wide....to have a chance at capturing the entire beam profile the newer lights can have.

The field that Goinggear started to use after the tested light's beams literally and figuratively outgrew his back yard, etc...is closer to what would be appropriate now a days. Who knows what will be appropriate in another 10 years.

:D

The vegetation on each side of the road in SB's beam tests - and even his living room - will still provide a nice relative measure of the Captor's beam. My most frequently hiked spot in the evening is a series.of trails, one of which loops around an open field that I guess is about 2 football fields in size. I'll know immediately how Captor compares to my other flooder, the MM15vn, because I'll have them both with me! Won't take pictures tonight. I just want to get an overall feel for the light.

Dave

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will look forward to seeing selfbuilt's detailed review. That was a good idea so people will be able to see it compared to other known lights and appreciate the originality of your new light.

hikingman

Enlightened
Well it's here! And WOW, first impressions are ALL good. It's almost noon here so obviously all the impressions come from quick lighting up a big closet I have. I also took it into a friend's fairly dark garage for a quick look. First some pictures taken with my iPad and more comments below:

REV Captor and packaging:

A close view of lens:

The first thing this light had to do to make me happy was come close to matching my love of the MTG2 LED tint. Boy, does it ever. :thumbsup:

I took my Eagletac MX25L3 and Thrunite TN35vn with Olight diffusers on them, and matched outputs as best as I could and (inside large closet) aimed lights at ceiling and at some down coats of mine with various colors. These two MTG2 lights are nearly the same tint wise and when compared to the Captor seemed very slightly yellowish (this is minor folks). The Captor, to the same very, very minor degree, seemed slightly magenta. All 3 are far and away my most neutral lights (along with MM15vn). When used at night these tint variations are virtually impossible to see.

Back to those colored jackets. The Captor kept a blue one looking almost exactly like it should be and the other 2 lights added a yellow tint to the blue. I took the coat outside and held it up in hazy afternoon sunlight and it was unmistakeable. The Captor came much, much closer to rendering the color correctly. Hands down the best rendering :thumbsup:

So hooray, Michael, you've created a very nice, extremely neutral tinted light. At first it amazes you because when you look at the lens on low power, you see the 2 cool white LED's and the very warmish one, and ask yourself, "How in the world can these blend so nicely"? But so far it certainly seems that they do.

Out in the garage, the beam has a magnificent spread - more than enough for anything I would want. It very closely resembles a Mule I had for a short while. I'll have more to say when this light see darkness.

Verdict so far? A triumph for Michael - job well done. Admittedly this is a lot of enthusiasm before seeing it work in the dark, but I have little doubt about how that will turn out.

Dave

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Dave,

Thanks for your initial impressions! I look forward to your thoughts after tonights debut!

I will [scheduled to!] be getting mine tomorrow!

I had to adjust my rotation[7 night] to fit the REV in it! I only had Two stock lights in it. The TN32 and the M3X! I moved the M3X to the backup division!

May sound complicated lol ! ,,,,,,,,I am one who does NOT like having shelf queens.I have good lights and they all need to be used! Back ups get 25 minutes, Primary light gets about 45 min.!

I know too much info!

have fun w/ your new light tonight! :)

hikingman

Enlightened
Thanks for kind words Roberto & Jonathan. Yes! More to come...

EDIT: More already! Went back into garage with freshly charged batteries and played with ramping variable control. It lights up a very large garage very well indeed. All levels are useful and if your eyes were dark adjusted the lowest (3 lumen) level is fine for poking around, particularly if you already know the territory. I rotated light 90 degrees when I wanted a lot of light right at my feet and not much to sides. This is going to be a very versatile handy light to have with you.

Dave

Last edited: